07 Damson

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• 07 Damson

This years batch, i made some in 04 but it wasn't very good, but I have learnt much since then
    recipe and photos

34lbs damsons
    8tsp bentonite
    40ml 10% sulphite solution (equivalent of 8 campden tablets)
    16 tsp Pectolase (taking no chances)
    8tsp Bentonite (dissolved in hot water before addition)
    8kg Sugar
    8tsp yeast nutrient
    8 gallons water

Damsons were frozen since Aug/sept
    defrosted damsons, poured 4 gallons cold water over them, added sulphite solution, pectolase, and bentonite.
    Dissolved 8kg sugar in 4 gallons hot water, allowed to cool and added to must.

leaving to cold soak for 1 to 2 days, at that point will test and adjust acid levels as necessary, shouldn't need to much acid additions as Damsons are very tart, (high in malic acid)

Yeast starter prepared 1 tsp Tronozymol, 1 tsp citric acid, 3 tsp sugar and Gervin varietal D yeast added (Lalvin 71B-1122 equivalent) as it will metabolise some of the malic acid during ferment.

hoping to produce a medium bodied, off dry Rose

SG currently 1.080 but no sugars released from fruit as yet, will test again after cold soak.

Also thinking I may not have enough head space in primary, although the varietal D isn't a foamy yeast...
    Attached Files
    Last edited by lockwood1956; 05-04-2008, 04:10 PM. Reason: extra info
    N.G.W.B.J.
    Member of 5 Towns Wine and Beer Makers Society (Yorkshire's newest)
    Wine, mead and beer maker

Looking good there mate, you fermenting in the house again ?
    Discount Home Brew Supplies
    Chairman of 5 Towns Wine & Beer Makers Circle!
    Convenor of Judges YFAWB Show Committee
    National Wine Judge
    N.G.W.B.J Member

Comment

Well it's cold down in't winery, and no-one said anything yet, so I've left them where they were......

And the pear is for Clare's mum, so I reckon I'll get away with it!
      N.G.W.B.J.

Comment

Nowt wrong with a little method in the madness.
        Discount Home Brew Supplies
        Chairman of 5 Towns Wine & Beer Makers Circle!
        Convenor of Judges YFAWB Show Committee
        National Wine Judge
        N.G.W.B.J Member

Comment

Bob --- Damsons are plums? Yes, red plums? If so do you have problems with a bitter almond taste comming out in the red plums there? Here red plums are not one of the best suggested fruits for fruit wine? The recipe looks just great, I really like it a lot. I would like to try that with some of the green gauges. I don't know if you also consider a bit of citric along with your malic fruits? I like to do that - 10-20 % of Citric in a Malic fruit base wine and or 10-20% Malic in a citric fruit base wine. In this case with plums I would go for blending with blueberry? Only my old ungrateful comments - just saying the way I do it. but you are much better than I so please do not take offence. Cheers ol' chap looks like a great one comming there. DAW

Comment

Originally posted by StockeyDAW View Post
            Only my old ungrateful comments - just saying the way I do it. but you are much better than I so please do not take offence. Cheers ol' chap looks like a great one comming there. DAW
            No sweat at all Daw

always glad of your input old bean

if i have to add acid then I shall certainly add either citric or tartaric, as you quite rightly state the damsons are malic dominant fruit, so using a different acid to raise the level (if necessary) would be the correct way to go

better that you? I think not, and take offence?....absolutely not

regards
            Bob
            N.G.W.B.J.

Comment

Please don't, that is only my way of complementing the ol' master. DAW

Comment

lol

cheers dude
                N.G.W.B.J.

Comment

9tsp bentonite
                  8tsp Bentonite (dissolved in hot water before addition)
                  how much?

Looks good, though. However, what didn't you like of your previous damson wine? If body was lacking, try adding some elderberries. helps a bit with color, if you want it a tad darker.

Recipe looks good. So does everything else.
                  Last edited by medpretzel; 12-11-2007, 01:14 AM.
                  Virtual Wine Circle & Competition Co-Founder
                  Twitter: VirtualWineO
                  Facebook: Virtual Wine Circle

Comment

I always go with tartaric if adding acid to malic dominant musts. I figger I can precipitate it out if I get too much and I am paranoid about the citric causing problems. Also, citric acid tastes alot more tart and I keep thinking it takes more to sweeten past it, if desired.

REBEL MODERATOR

...lay down the boogie and play that funky music 'til ya die...'til ya die !"

Comment

Originally posted by Hippie View Post
                      I always go with tartaric if adding acid to malic dominant musts. I figger I can precipitate it out if I get too much and I am paranoid about the citric causing problems. Also, citric acid tastes alot more tart and I keep thinking it takes more to sweeten past it, if desired.

Those are very interesting comments, thank you for those, I surley agree with them. I have been doing a lot of reading on acids in wines in the past number of months. Grapes contain around 90 % tartaric and malic acid. Sure does not leave much for citric and the others. I am trying to come up with some kind of %age guide for the addition of each after fermentation is over something like 70% tartaric, 20% malic and 10% citric. I use tartaric for the initial addition if necessary to increase TA and lower pH. Also am looking at using potassium bicarbonate when very seldom it may be necessary to lower the TA and increase the pH. Of course letting our taste buds be the real guide? I am also trying to determine is there makes any difference when the acidity of the young wine is undertaken - right after the fining racking (clearing) or just prior to bottling? I think I am right now thinking just prior to bottling? Cheers DAW

Comment

I think alot of folks might adjust preferment with tartaric and then right before bottling with citric, but not sure if this is only in fruit wines other than grape.

Personally, I cannot stand the taste of malic acid at all, though I know alot of fruits have alot, I cannot bear the taste of a wine with enough that I can taste it. I can deal with tartaric alot better.

Usually if alot of tartaric acid precipitates out during bulk aging (accidentally or purposeful), I will adjust up with citric, if needed, before bottling.

I do not normally ever allow MLF.

REBEL MODERATOR

...lay down the boogie and play that funky music 'til ya die...'til ya die !"

Comment

Yes I agree; I guess that we want Malic only in apple wines or cider? I will make sure that I use very little. I agree tartaric is the answer with only a little Malic in a Citric based fruit wine and a little Citric in a Malic based fruit wine - this is after fermentation just before bottling and also includes the same principal for the making of Mead. Cheers DAW

Comment

Update

SG now at 1.040 on the Damson and 1.045 on the pear

photos left to right

Damson cap, cap after punching down. Pear cap and after punch down, wines in glass (damson on the left)
                            Attached Files
                            Last edited by lockwood1956; 16-11-2007, 06:18 PM.
                            N.G.W.B.J.

Comment

Originally posted by lockwood1956 View Post
                              wines in glass (damson on the left)
                              Looks good Bob, but I am getting worried about your ageing techniques, at least I let mine finish fermenting, sometimes they clear too.

Rich

Comment

Working...
                              X