The Lab

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• The Lab

Like most people that get "bitten by the bug", I have run out of room for maturing/storing wine. I have been promising myself a new garden shed for sometime so after giving it some more thought, I ordered one.
    Attached Files
    National Wine Judge NGWBJ

Secretary of 5 Towns Wine and Beer Society

My friends would think I was a nut, turning water into wine....... Lyrics from Solsbury hill by Peter Gabriel

Member of THE newest wine circle in Yorkshire!!

Hurrah

so when is the opening party?
    N.G.W.B.J.
    Member of 5 Towns Wine and Beer Makers Society (Yorkshire's newest)
    Wine, mead and beer maker

Comment

Once the thing was up it was time to get the basics sorted like electric, insulation etc. The insulation is 2" thick and will be hidden as I am boarding out with plywood.
      Attached Files

My friends would think I was a nut, turning water into wine....... Lyrics from Solsbury hill by Peter Gabriel

Comment

Exterior finished. On the "still to do list" is: a worksurface and sink, water and shelving. I dug a soakaway when we were putting the base down so the plumbing will be simple.

I will add more pics when things get a little more advanced.
        Attached Files

Comment

Originally posted by lockwood1956 View Post
          Hurrah

so when is the opening party?
          Hopefully when things warm up a little, Spring maybe (and when I have some wine to drink)

Comment

Looking really good Richard, I have the shed, but as for getting things like electric and water, well thats to much above my skills. Keep the time for wine making. LOL. Cant wait for the party.
            sigpic

Comment

Looking good dude.

Originally posted by Richard_S View Post
              Hopefully when things warm up a little, Spring maybe (and when I have some wine to drink)
              "SPRING" that's month's away can't you invest in a heater ? and borrow some wine from "Stinky"
              Discount Home Brew Supplies
              Chairman of 5 Towns Wine & Beer Makers Circle!
              Convenor of Judges YFAWB Show Committee
              National Wine Judge
              N.G.W.B.J Member

Comment

Originally posted by Biggles View Post
                Looking really good Richard, I have the shed, but as for getting things like electric and water, well thats to much above my skills. Keep the time for wine making. LOL. Cant wait for the party.
                The electric bit was above my skill level as well so I errrm persuaded one of the sparkys from work to do it (involved a bit of bartering)

Originally posted by Duffbeer View Post
                Looking good dude.

"SPRING" that's month's away can't you invest in a heater ? and borrow some wine from "Stinky"
                Lol, you are so impatient, it's a wonder you ever managed to brew your first wine kit

Comment

This might be a stupid question.....so I'll ask it anyway. Does the temperature in the summer not effect the wine? I only ask as i am thinking about using either my garage/loft/shed to store my wine in but I always thought that a constant temperature was best?

Again if this is a daft question don't shoot me

Comment

Looking good mate, my shed isn't insulated so its freezing cold.
                    Thats why my DJ's live with there Brew belts in a cabinet in these cold months.

Insulation with a greenhouse heater seem's very tempting.

Keep the pics coming, tis very interesting mate
                    Winer Swapper Extraordinaire
                    Wanna swap your wine for something exciting? follow the link:

http://www.winesathome.co.uk/forum/s...ead.php?t=2568

Comment

Originally posted by kerosine View Post
                      This might be a stupid question.....so I'll ask it anyway. Does the temperature in the summer not effect the wine? I only ask as i am thinking about using either my garage/loft/shed to store my wine in but I always thought that a constant temperature was best?

Not a daft question at all, Garage or shed should be fine, I would however try to avoid the loft as the temp can change too rapidly from one excess to the other which wine dislikes. The garage is the best of the three as the're usually concrete and more stable temps, but an insulated shed would be just as good.
                      I used to wrap all my d/j's with bubble wrap to stop rapid temp change.
                      National Wine Judge
                      N.G.W.B.J Member

Comment

That's me finding a new home for the rower and the treadmill then!

Comment

We all have to make sacrifices!
                          Let's party

AKA Brunehilda - Last of the Valkaries

Comment

Not a daft question at all, I echo what Karl says, forget the loft. I am hoping that the heavy insulation will help out in the summer as far as big temp fluctuations are concerned.

Originally posted by BennyBoy View Post
                            Looking good mate, my shed isn't insulated so its freezing cold.
                            Thats why my DJ's live with there Brew belts in a cabinet in these cold months.

Insulation with a greenhouse heater seem's very tempting.

Keep the pics coming, tis very interesting mate
                            Cheers, I will take more pics when there is more to see. Might put the work surface and sink in next week or the week after. I don't intend to brew anything in there just yet so i'm not too worried about low temps.

Comment

That's me finding a new home for the rower and the treadmill then!
                              Well saves them collecting dust, why not trade them for some brewing equiptment.

Originally posted by Mamgiowl View Post
                              We all have to make sacrifices!
                              True Mamgi, mine was the wife n kids, then the Duffbeer estate and just last week the Bentley, but hey you get more people looking when you drive a yellow Reliant Robin.
                              National Wine Judge
                              N.G.W.B.J Member

Comment

Working...
                              X