No announcement yet.

"Elderflower" and "Apple Mead Cider"

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Oh and the Elderflower is digustingly high in alchohol levels.
    Gonna leave it to bulk age, as it has put me off doing anythign else to it
    Winer Swapper Extraordinaire
    Wanna swap your wine for something exciting? follow the link:

http://www.winesathome.co.uk/forum/s...ead.php?t=2568

Comment

...so what's the recipe for the cyser then?
      HRH Her Lushness

Beauty is in the eye of the beer holder.

Comment

Originally posted by Her Lushness View Post
        ...so what's the recipe for the cyser then?
        It'll be something like apple juice (a variety of different apples i.e. sweet and sharp a.k.a. eaters and cookers or even some cider apples and crabs if you can get them), test the gravity, then add some honey (something like 1lb at a time testing gravity in between), then the usual nutrients according to the instructions and then pick your yeast.

If you really want to go for it, you can work out the gravity from Bob's table for gravity/ABV and make it strong i.e. champagne yeast like EC-1118, though if you decided on that, it's fair to remember that you'd need to oxygenate the must well (I do that by banging a litre in the liquidiser). Also, meads of higher alcohol can taste medicinal when they're first finished and require ageing to remove the medicinal taste (6 months, maybe even a year).

If you worked out the gravity for about 14% ABV and used, say, 71B or D47, then when it's finished, if it's still a little dry, you can back sweeten with honey.

Oh and it's handy making cysers, pyments, other melomels and metheglins, as you can use cheap, processed supermarket honey, because it's not the primary flavour, so you don't end up looking for and buying dearer varietal honeys that would loose something in the fruit flavour.

These "other" mead type drinks are manifold, if you have a dig around Gotmead, both the forums and the main site, you'll see many, many recipes.

BennyBoy would have to give you his exact recipe, my suggestion above is a "guesstimate".

regards

JtFB

p.s. Oh and if you don't have the facilities to juice apples, then you could try supermarket juice, but if I did that, then I'd be adding a little acid (probably my 2 malic to 1 tartaric mix) and some tannin, as that helps toward what you'd get from cider apples.
        Women will never be equal to men until they can walk down the street with a bald head and a beer gut, and still think they are sexy.

Some blog ramblings

Comment

Will write it up properley in the Mead section for you.
          Its very simple and i came across it by accident - no measuring involved lol.
          be up by tuesday
          Winer Swapper Extraordinaire
          Wanna swap your wine for something exciting? follow the link:

http://www.winesathome.co.uk/forum/s...ead.php?t=2568

Comment

Working...
          X