• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Peppermint Vodka

Ingredients:

1 x 70cl bottle of cheap vodka.
    1 x packet of Foxes Glacier Mints.

Easiest made in a demi john if you have one about but can be done in the bottle by pouring half of the vodka out.

Into a sterilised demi john add the Foxes Glacier Mints. Pour in the 70 cl of vodka. Put a solid bung into the demi john and shake. Leave at room temp, shaking occasionally until all the sweets have disolved.

Add a few drops of food colouring, (Blue or Green) to the mix.

Chill the bottle either in fridge or freezer and serve over ice.

sigpic

I tried this recently, really good, supprised how it smoothed out lidl's cheap vodka

thanks
    Pesky Pensioner, gets to the fruit before whiney workers. ook

Comment

I do believe that member zeb has taken a few places with it at some competitions
      Discount Home Brew Supplies
      Chairman of 5 Towns Wine & Beer Makers Circle!
      Convenor of Judges YFAWB Show Committee
      National Wine Judge
      N.G.W.B.J Member

Comment

what size pack of mints ? is it the tube type pack or a bag of the ones that the polar bear stands on in the logo ???

regards

jtfb
        Women will never be equal to men until they can walk down the street with a bald head and a beer gut, and still think they are sexy.

Some blog ramblings

Comment

Originally posted by fatbloke View Post
          what size pack of mints ? is it the tube type pack or a bag of the ones that the polar bear stands on in the logo ???

regards

jtfb
          The polar bear bag ones.... I recently made some for a festival we went to and put it into a hip flask... it made a few folks cough at first, but they kept on coming back for more!
          HRH Her Lushness

Beauty is in the eye of the beer holder.

Comment

I'm going to do this.

I might even try the Liquorice & Aniseed ones as well. For medicinal purposes.

Comment

Originally posted by Ian View Post
              I'm going to do this.

I might even try the Liquorice & Aniseed ones as well. For medicinal purposes.

The L&A ones come up great, a bit grey to be black sambuca, but a drop of food colouring can fix that. I still have a few small bottles left.

Comment

Originally posted by Rich View Post
                The L&A ones come up great, a bit grey to be black sambuca, but a drop of food colouring can fix that. I still have a few small bottles left.
                Thanks.

Comment

The TOFFEE VODKA is also nice.
                  Not made this for ages... might make some more
                  Insecure people try to make you feel smaller.

Confident people love to see you walk taller

Comment

Done both the Mint and the L&A.

Both really nice, though I prefer the L&A.

As mentioned, it does smooth out a cheap vodka.

Comment

Originally posted by spritzer View Post
                      The TOFFEE VODKA is also nice.
                      Not made this for ages... might make some more
                      Did you find that the toffee vodka keeps on separating out when left to stand?
                      Last edited by Her Lushness; 20-09-2009, 02:55 PM. Reason: Bad spelling due to STONKING hangover :)
                      HRH Her Lushness

Beauty is in the eye of the beer holder.

Comment

Originally posted by Her Lushness View Post
                        Did you find that the toffee vodka keeps on separating out when left to stand?
                        Yeah... it did separate a bit....
                        And looked very muddy at the bottom of the bottle.
                        But I just kept shaking it up before pouring any.
                        Insecure people try to make you feel smaller.

Confident people love to see you walk taller

Comment

We have a thriving patch of mint in our garden. I'm going to use most of it to make another mint wine following last years success.

However there will be some spare, most likely the black peppermint which is the smallest patch of the 4/5 varieties we have, and has by far the most wonderful smell. Anyone have any thoughts on using this in vodka, how much, does it need to be well washed (doubt it but .....), how long does it need?

Bought the cheapo vodka yesterday, forgot the mints, but maybe that's ok given we have so much of the real fresh stuff growing.
                          To most people solutions mean answers. To chemists solutions are things that are mixed up.
                          A fine wine is a fine wine, 1st time may be by accident, 2nd time is by design - that's why you keep notes.

Comment

Black peppermint, that does sound interesting!! Does it grow well near the other mint?

Comment

Rich, the black peppermint is the least successful of the mints we have in our garden. They are garden, apple, morrocan and black peppermint, aswell as the one that was in our garden when we bought the house. Difficult to know if its the least successful due to other mints, or if its the nearby blackberry's, or if it prefers more light (they are all in a shady spot, soil is bit clayish). Its doing ok tho and has sent out a couple of leafy runners. It was a favourite of the slugs/snails soon after we planted it this spring but has recovered from that fright now.

I used all of it in 375 ml of vodka, about 10 stems/sprigs of around 10 cm length on average, well i say all but obviously left the runners and some stems with leaves on to give it something to work with. Colour and flavour all being extracted very nicely, still a good whiff of vodka coming through too which surprised me.
                              To most people solutions mean answers. To chemists solutions are things that are mixed up.
                              A fine wine is a fine wine, 1st time may be by accident, 2nd time is by design - that's why you keep notes.

Comment

Working...
                              X