Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Wine number 1 Dry Table wine (As featured on the BBC!)

Collapse
This topic is closed.
X
This is a sticky topic.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

So... when do we stop degassing?
    how much is enough?

well tricky, but as long as you aren't getting a really violent reaction and whatever foam you get settles quickly and disappears, (see photo) then its likely enough, don't get paranoid about it, for we are going to drink this wine soon, this is not a wine designed to be aged, it is meant to be drunk almost as soon as it is in the bottle.
    Attached Files
    Last edited by lockwood1956; 23-12-2007, 12:57 PM.
    N.G.W.B.J.
    Member of 5 Towns Wine and Beer Makers Society (Yorkshire's newest)
    Wine, mead and beer maker

Comment

throughout the degassing process we have exposed the wine to oxygen, don't worry too much about that, for we have sulphited afterwards to prevent oxidation or spoilage, and it wont be around long enough to spoil.

Are we having fun yet?
      Attached Files
      Last edited by lockwood1956; 20-04-2008, 08:49 PM.
      N.G.W.B.J.

Comment

Well, things don't always go according to plan, the wine hasn't cleared, as you can see (its the one in the middle)

EEK!
        Attached Files
        Last edited by lockwood1956; 02-01-2008, 05:19 PM. Reason: spell errors DOH!
        N.G.W.B.J.

Comment

so......

what to do, well first plan of attack is to add some fining's, the ones pictured are two part fining's, add part A and stir well, then 30 Min's later add part 2 and stir well, should drop clear in 24-48 hours.

the picture is after 24 hours, so the fining's have done their job. (it's the DJ in the middle in case you hadn't guessed)

so we will rack and bottle
          Attached Files
          Last edited by lockwood1956; 28-03-2008, 10:14 PM.
          N.G.W.B.J.

Comment

first sanitised all the equipment to be used.

so ready to go, I racked into my 1 gallon bucket, and then filled the wine bottles (previously rinsed out with sulphite solution and turned upside down to dry) using my measuring jug, popped in some plastic topped corks and we are done. but notice...everything done over the sink in case of mishaps, you dont want to fall out with your other half this early in your Winemaking career

Tasted it, it really is crisp and dry, perfect quaffing wine, now your DJ is empty...get another batch on the go

CHEERS!

and a thought on another topic, for you experienced winemakers, do you have a friend you would like to get into Winemaking?
            if so, donate the kit required (you wont miss the small amount of kit reqd, and you could just lend them some of it) and get them started, then you will have someone to share this glorious hobby with.

p.s. I can't believe how good this wine is, and in 38 days!! and three days after it finished fermenting there are three bottles less of it too....need to make another batch
            Attached Files
            Last edited by lockwood1956; 02-03-2008, 01:12 PM.
            N.G.W.B.J.

Comment

Update

A batch of this wine (made by me)fermented to 1.020 had a tablespoon of fresh elder flowers added to it, it was fermented dry, stabilised and sweetened to 1.008 took 1st Prize at Telford wine festival 12th July 2008 in the flower medium class

and another variant of it (made by Duffbeer) was fermented to 1.000 sugar added to 1.010 and fermented dry on orange and lemon slices too 1st place in the dry aperitif class at Yorkshire federation show in June.

it truly is a great base for so many wine types.
              N.G.W.B.J.

Comment

N.G.W.B.J.

Comment

Tweaks?

I have added elderflowers (fresh not dried) after ferment had finished allowing the alcohol to extract the phenolics (bouquet and flavour compounds) made a reisling (ish) copy
                  I have added rose petals (fresh not dried) after ferment had finished allowing the alcohol to extract the phenolics
                  I have added raspberries and various other red fruits as late additions to enhance fruitiness (and rose colour) near the end of ferment, careful with raspberries though they are powerful critters
                  I have added the juice from a small tin of gooseberries near end of ferment (goldseals idea) no solids, just the juice, near the end of ferment, produces a hock like wine
                  I have added spices (didnt like the effect) star anise was the closest to acceptable, nutmeg was hmmm ok ish, cinnamon was almost ok too, careful with the amounts.

The one thing i havent done is tweak to add more body, If i want a wine with more body i design it in from the start by upping the ingredients. wine No1 is designed to be a light fruity easy drinking wine, ready to drink quickly, if you start adding more body then it kind of defeats the object as it takes longer to become drinkable, and ceases to become table wine.

However I applaud the experimentation that is going on, we all lear from it, but..... table white wine requires freshness and crispness....not body.

NGWBJ definition
                  WHITE TABLE WINE - DRY
                  Pale colour is desirable; there should be no brown or pink tone.
                  The wine should taste dry, without easily recognisable sweetness. The flavour should be pleasant, with no bitter after-taste, and should give an impression of freshness, leaving the mouth clean.
                  Alcohol content may be between 8.5% and 13%, with acidity between 0.5% and 0.8%. It is most important for this type of wine that the bouquet should be clean, fresh and vinous.
                  Commercial examples would be white Burgundy, Alsace and dry Loire wines such as Muscadet and Sancerre.
                  N.G.W.B.J.

Comment

Karls Tweaks

N.G.W.B.J.

Comment

Working...
                    X