Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Thread for questions and discussion on new winemaker series

hi gang
    please cast an eye over this as it progresses....

Beginners thread, build your skills over a series of wines, a step by step guide, to better winemaking

make sure i don't miss anything out, this series of posts/tutorials is going to lead new winemakers through the Winemaking process, starting with the basic equipment, and a wine that will be drinkable in 4 weeks.

wine No 2 will be the same type of wine, but stabilised and back sweetened, we will then deal with must preparation, for fruit wines, tinned or fresh. and gradually introducing new techniques and processes as we go, your input would be greatly appreciated

please feel free to chip in here to discuss stuff

regards
    Bob
    Last edited by lockwood1956; 07-12-2007, 06:55 PM.
    N.G.W.B.J.
    Member of 5 Towns Wine and Beer Makers Society (Yorkshire's newest)
    Wine, mead and beer maker

The No 1 wine looks good to me Bob. I am going to try this with a red grape juice - any suggestions on a good fruit juice to give a tasty red for my hubby to enjoy? Have used just the red juice with no water (or sugar as it was 1.08)and got something tasty but thought I would try your way for comparison.
    www.honeyjukes.co.uk

Comment

Hi Shirl

Cranberry or cranberry/blueberry would be good to go with the red grape juice.
      National Wine Judge NGWBJ

Secretary of 5 Towns Wine and Beer Society

My friends would think I was a nut, turning water into wine....... Lyrics from Solsbury hill by Peter Gabriel

Member of THE newest wine circle in Yorkshire!!

Comment

Blueberry would be good yes....

I have 1 litre of it in my fridge to use soon

regards
        Bob
        N.G.W.B.J.

Comment

Thanks, will get a litre of blueberry later on then. Bother - yeast will have to wait for Friday if I need a special one - usually quite happy with the Youngs Super Wine Yeast as it is a pain to go to the brew store that stocks other varieties.
          www.honeyjukes.co.uk

Comment

Just been reading another thread (think to do with a special kit offer from somewhere) where you posted a similar recipe but using 2 litres grape juice to one litre apple - should I use one litre or 2 of red grape?
            www.honeyjukes.co.uk

Comment

Originally posted by shirlthegirl43 View Post
              Just been reading another thread (think to do with a special kit offer from somewhere) where you posted a similar recipe but using 2 litres grape juice to one litre apple - should I use one litre or 2 of red grape?

I was wondering about that..

as far as I can see ..
              if you use 2 ltr grape juice,you need 1lb of sugar
              with 1 ltr of grape juice 1.5lb sugar..

I'll probably try both ways to see which I prefer
              I wish I was a glow worm
              Cos a glow worm's never glum
              It's hard to be unhappy
              When the sun shines out your bum

Comment

vary it in any way that you like (unless you are a newbie, in which case follow the recipe and method, omitting no detail no matter how small )

The idea behind one litre of each juice and 1 1/2lb of sugar and the rest being water,(as opposed to all juice) is to make a very easy to make, very early drinking wine (in fact as soon as itr finishes clearing) that is not dominated by any one particular flavour profile.

But if any of you experienced bods out there want to do all juice then feel free, this recipe isnt meant for you..... the idea behind the new winemaker series is to build the new winemakers skill levels as we progress through the making of wines of different types and styles, they are not always going to be killer recipes, as they are designed for new winemaker skill building and in particular, early drinkability for newbies is also key, so we dont have to learn patience as newbies straight away.

regards
                Bob
                Last edited by lockwood1956; 28-11-2007, 06:38 PM.
                N.G.W.B.J.

Comment

48 hours in and the SG is down to 1.050

nice healthy ferment.....

The wine should drop clear very quickly once ferment is over (well thats the plan anyway)
                  N.G.W.B.J.

Comment

I've got one on the go now too, used apple & grape juice and with 620g sugar added sg was 1.073. Started it yesterday at 8pm and its pretty busy now. After it settles down a bit i'm going to top it up with 125g sugar in water to make a finished wine of 11%.
                    Cheers

p.s. Great tutorial Bob
                    Be luckysigpic

Comment

just curious to know how you are finding these tutorials?
                      helpful?
                      are any of you are making these wines?

please let me know

regards
                      Bob
                      Last edited by lockwood1956; 07-12-2007, 06:54 PM.
                      N.G.W.B.J.

Comment

Following them to the letter Bob

going to get the red on today

popping down to hop and grape form more supplies though as I've got no more demi johns!

Comment

Now I don't want to do John and Patsy at hop and grape out of your business, but you have a couple of suppliers nearer you.

Elderberry in Tynemouth and wineonline in Houghton le spring, I've not dealt with Elderberry but everyone who has says they offer good service, I have bought from wineonline at houghton le spring..nice people, good level of stock.

Elderberry
                          28 Station Road, Whitley Bay, Tyne and Wear, NE26 2RD
                          Telephone: 0191 251 3907
                          Mail Order Available
                          E-mail: algough@blueyonder.co.uk
                          wine making,winemaking,virtual, wine, circle, virtual wine, virtual wine circle,home winemaking,make wine at home,home made wine,homemade wine,winemaking blog,blog,wine blog,grape growing blog,winemaking forum,winemaking discussion forum,grape growing forum,wine kit,wine making,mead making,make mead,amateur,home made wine,wine,wine,winepress,wine press,press,wine-press,grape,grow grapes,fruit press,fermenting,fermentation,cork,trellis,trellising,home wine making,home made wine,homemade wine,vintner,wine press,homemade,fruit press,winepress,grape,vine,vineyard,growtube,grow tube,grow tubes,blue-x,trellis,trellissing,wine,cellar,bottle filler,wine making,winemaker,home made wine forum,homemade wine forum,vineyard Supply,Logic,airlock,air lock,primary fermenter,primary, secondary fermenter,bottle filler,winemaking dvd,Vineyard Sprayers,wine forum,Winemaking,Adsorption,Airlock,kit wines,mead,mead wines,making homemade wine,wine recipes,winemaking recipes,winemaking techniques,Alcohol,Alternative wine closures Home Wine Making & Grape Growing discussion forum. FREE membership, Live Cellar Web Cam, discounts to members from various suppliers and more. There are product reviews and plenty of recipes from fruit wines, grape wines, to kit wines. This site is to help others who want more information on making home made wine.

Wineonline
                          10 Newbottle Street
                          Houghton-le-Spring
                          Tyne & Wear
                          DH4 4AN
                          Telephone: (0191) 584 5055

hope this helps
                          regards
                          bob
                          Last edited by lockwood1956; 08-12-2007, 10:17 AM.
                          N.G.W.B.J.

Comment

Been to Elderberry Bob

I used to live just round the corner in good old Whitley!

It's a great shop but they don't carry as much stock

but thanks for thinking of my carbon footprint

Comment

Originally posted by lockwood1956 View Post
                              just curious to know how you are finding these tutorials?
                              helpful?
                              are any of you are making these wines?

please let me know

regards
                              Bob
                              Not yet, but I've got the medium sweet recipe in mind, it's just a case of sussing out whether I can get the required juices in the local safeways (not yet renamed Morrisons) to try it.

Hopefully I'll have some on the go by the end of Jan! WTS!

regards

John the fatbloke.
                              Women will never be equal to men until they can walk down the street with a bald head and a beer gut, and still think they are sexy.

Some blog ramblings

Comment

Working...
                              X