Costco Grape Juice

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Costco Grape Juice

I was in costco last night and noticed they have big bottles of grape juice (2.8 l in twin packs). It looked really dark and in my experience, heavier bodied wines are always darker. I was wondering if anyone has tried using this to make wine with and what their results were?
    David
    Wine making noob

Read the label...Ingredients?

Watch out for the potassium sorbate, it will kill any yeast you try. You can make a neutral white wine and backsweeten; or a honey mead, and backsweeten...good stuff at the right price. Make it high gravity, watch your rations or you will have a low gravity wine or mead that will spoil.

Comment

This isn't white grape juice, it's red. The reason I brought it up is it's a hell of a lot darker that the cartons of red grape I got from Tesco.
      David
      Wine making noob

Comment

what does it say on the ingredients does it have presevatives in???

Comment

I will go buy some this afternoon and post the ingredients this evening, along with a gravity reading etc....
          David
          Wine making noob

Comment

As long as it doesn't contain preservatives you should be fine, get the yeast in and see!

if it does contain preservatives, they can be driven off by heating the juice, as Keith says , potassium sorbate is the thing you are looking for.

regards
            Bob
            N.G.W.B.J.
            Member of 5 Towns Wine and Beer Makers Society (Yorkshire's newest)
            Wine, mead and beer maker

Comment

was this the stuff?

32035-B.JPG

ingredients are:
              Kirkland Newman's Own 100% Grape Juice from Concentrate with Vit. C (Plastic Bottle)

* USA * 2,720ml
              Last edited by kerosine; 21-12-2007, 01:41 PM.

Comment

Yeah thats the boy....
                David
                Wine making noob

Comment

Go on then spill the beans, how much is this stuff.
                  Discount Home Brew Supplies
                  Chairman of 5 Towns Wine & Beer Makers Circle!
                  Convenor of Judges YFAWB Show Committee
                  National Wine Judge
                  N.G.W.B.J Member

Comment

Lol thats it, I can't remember. I am off there after lunch anyway to buy xmas stuff so planned on buying a pack. If it's no good for wine I will drink the juice anyway
                    David
                    Wine making noob

Comment

Will probably be great for wine, but not high alcohol wine. Starting SG should be around 1.085 or so.

REBEL MODERATOR

...lay down the boogie and play that funky music 'til ya die...'til ya die !"

Comment

Such a deal...on the cheap is good, too....

Have you a deal on dried fruit yet...this is the season for all those dried fruits at the market. Take some of those cheap lots, grind them up, steep them and make a really good wine...prune wine is delicious! Adds some Paul Newman juice and you're the man!

I'm not joking...stop laughing Rich...you too Bob, there are many a good wines from the markets specials. Get Giggy with it, "Will Smith", quote...my four year old Granddaughter say, "is Grandpa in the Gee-rage, gettin' Giggy with his wine"? KISS Method, Keep It Simple Stupid, I admit having deficites! Don't tell me, it is quite comfy and smooth going down.

Stockey...I know your laughing at this one too...thoughts were...you were a friend in Mead.

Keith

Comment

Cost was 5.16 inc vat for 2 x 2.84 litres. It is made from concorde grapes, if that makes any difference? I haven't checked the gravity yet but it has approx 170g sugar per litre so should be about 1.065. I will probably use one bottle with 600g sugar and top up to 4.5l and see what it comes out like. I will aim for 12% anyway.
                          David
                          Wine making noob

Comment

Hi all,
                            just bought the same from local Costco !
                            2 x 2.8 liters.
                            Looks great. Anybody tried it ?
                            Any suggestions for a recipe ?
                            My initial thoughts are 1 x 2.8 l of this.
                            1 x apple juice
                            Make up to 1 gallon
                            Sugar up to s.g. 1090
                            And off we go !

Or maybe use the lot in one go ??

Anyone any thoughts on this ?

Just tasted something quite tasty.....2 liter red grape juice (Lidle)
                            1 liter apple juice (Lidle)
                            1 carton of blackcurrant nectar (Lidle again)

The result is a huge hit from all who were lucky enough to get a taste !

Ian.

Comment

If it was me I'd make up as directed on the bottle then sub like for like in a recipe that calls for carton juice but adjust acid and sugar as appropriate...

Comment

Working...
                              X