• Show
Clear All

• Port

Bob's Port recipe..adapted from CJJ Berry's

2lb Elderberries
    2lb Blackberries
    1lb jar of bilberries (pek?)
    250ml Red Grape Concentrate
    Sugar to 1.090 (I reckon about 1 1/2 to 2 lb)
    3 tsp Pectolase
    1 tsp yeast nutrient
    1 vitamin B1 tablet (3mg)
    Lalvin EC1118 or Gervin Purple label yeast.
    Water to a gallon

Method:
    Mash the fruit and bilberries using a potato masher, put the fruit into a straining bag, add the sugar in syrup form (dissolve it in hot water and allow to cool)
    Add rest of ingredients Red Grape Concentrate, Pectolase, nutrient add approx 5 pints of water
    Ferment on the pulp for 5 days,(or till the must reaches SG 1.020) dipping the bag in and out of the must at least twice a day, squeezing the bag to extract colour and flavour, then strain into demi/carboy top up with cooled boiled water and ferment out to dry, then add grape concentrate or sugar to raise SG back to 1.015 to 1.020, then add alcohol (Brandy) to get alc content up to 20% add 1/2 ounce of American white oak and age for two months, then rack and taste, at this point the oak should have done its job and could be removed, you may leave the oak in longer if you wish, removing it once the right profile has been reached, but after checking at two months, you need to check weekly if you are leaving the oak in longer, as once the oakiness is in, you cant take it out

hope this is useful
    regards
    Bob

EDIT:
    extra info
    if this wine ferments to 0.990 then you wll have 13.55 alcohol, adding 1 bottle of 40% Brandy to this gallon of wine will give you alc content of 17% ish adding two bottles of 40% brandy will take it to 20% ish
    N.G.W.B.J.
    Member of 5 Towns Wine and Beer Makers Society (Yorkshire's newest)
    Wine, mead and beer maker

I'm going to try this recipe soon. I've got well over 2lb of blackberries and just under 2lb of elderberries from my weekend forage

Where would I find a jar of bilberries? I've had a quick look on mysupermarket.com and none of the supermarkets seem to stock them... could I substitue for a jar of blueberries?

Comment

Originally posted by GrillMonkey View Post
      could I substitue for a jar of blueberries?

yes you can

bluberries = low bush blueberries
      bilberries = high bush blueberries
      N.G.W.B.J.

Comment

Wow, thank for the very quick reply

I thought as much. Funny how bluberries (from America) are easier to come by than bilberries (from Britain)

Comment

I'm making a different port recipe, but what quality of brandy do you think is required for fortification?

I was looking at something like a Three Barrels brandy from Tesco - roughly £13 for 70cl.
          Pete the Instructor

It looks like Phil Donahue throwing up into a tuba

Comment

The closer to pure alcohol you can get, the better. Inexpensive brandy tends to dilute the flavor of port. I don't know if you have it over in the UK, but I use a grain spirit called Everclear, which is 95% ABV. It also has a neutral flavor - not that you would want to drink this stuff neat, mind you.
            Steve

Comment

Originally posted by goldseal View Post
              I'm making a different port recipe, but what quality of brandy do you think is required for fortification?

I was looking at something like a Three Barrels brandy from Tesco - roughly £13 for 70cl.
              I use corvoisier.....
              N.G.W.B.J.

Comment

Originally posted by NorthernWiner View Post
                The closer to pure alcohol you can get, the better. Inexpensive brandy tends to dilute the flavor of port. I don't know if you have it over in the UK, but I use a grain spirit called Everclear, which is 95% ABV. It also has a neutral flavor - not that you would want to drink this stuff neat, mind you.
                No, the only place I've seen something similar advertised is Brouwland - if the spirit is "potable", then the duty is charged on the %ABV Steve, hence 95% ABV would normally be very expensive (it's partly why we don't tend to see stuff like "over proof" rum etc here). Though I'm trying to convince one of our "trunk" drivers, that next time he's been home to Poland, to bring me some of the 96.5% ABV vodka......
                Originally posted by lockwood1956 View Post
                I use corvoisier.....
                Snob!

Though in fairness, if you really wanted to be "posh" Bob, then this bloke has some stuff that would push the cost of your home brew port recipe though the roof!

Personally, if I could afford some of his prices (I quite fancy the "Massougnes Grande Champagne 1805 3/4 gallon")
                then you'd just have to stick the port "where the sun don't shine"

Hey ho! we can all dream can't we.

regards

JtFB

p.s. Ha! all my ar5shole comments, but I'd still like to try the recipe as it does sound very nice
                Women will never be equal to men until they can walk down the street with a bald head and a beer gut, and still think they are sexy.

Some blog ramblings

Comment

Originally posted by fatbloke View Post
                  Though I'm trying to convince one of our "trunk" drivers, that next time he's been home to Poland, to bring me some of the 96.5% ABV vodka......
                  John, if you want the real deal for making port, and if you have any connections down Portugal way, try to find a spirit called Aguadente. That's what they use in the Duoro. You often see articles talking about how port is fortified with "brandy," but it's actually a form of grappa - made from grape pomace and distilled to about 95%.

However, the point may be moot. I would argue that once you veer off into that world of 90%+ ABV spirits, there is not much distinction in flavor between any of them. It's all "fire water" at that point.
                  Steve

Comment

Originally posted by NorthernWiner View Post
                    John, if you want the real deal for making port, and if you have any connections down Portugal way, try to find a spirit called Aguadente. That's what they use in the Duoro. You often see articles talking about how port is fortified with "brandy," but it's actually a form of grappa - made from grape pomace and distilled to about 95%.
                    Yeah, I figured as much. I just wasn't familiar with the name of the actual spirit.
                    However, the point may be moot. I would argue that once you veer off into that world of 90%+ ABV spirits, there is not much distinction in flavor between any of them. It's all "fire water" at that point.
                    It's all pretty much "fire water" when it goes over about 70% or so. Of course, there's usually some "residual" flavour, but the higher the %, the less differential there is.

Though I'd actually say that high % spirits are less about the flavour and more about getting drunk quickly. I mean, most of the very high % spirits are "vodka like", because the ethanol doesn't really taste of anything does it......

I could do the grappa though as I have some here, it's about 50% or so, and would, I suspect, do the job just nicely.

I just couldn't resist a little pop at Bob, with his "I use corvoisier...." comment, however "tongue in cheek" it might have been:launchpoo (balloon popping is a little hobby of mine ).

Personally I wouldn't waste good spirit of any kind on port making. I'd just get the cheapest, as the taste of the spirit isn't the point is it. It's the taste of the end product that counts! (well it does IMO anyway)

regards

JtFB
                    Women will never be equal to men until they can walk down the street with a bald head and a beer gut, and still think they are sexy.

Some blog ramblings

Comment

I made two batches at the end of last year...
                      First time I have made it...

In one I use Couvoissier... the other I used a cheaper version of brandy.. I do believe it was Three Barrels ....

It is tooooo early to tell which one will be better ... yet
                      Insecure people try to make you feel smaller.

Confident people love to see you walk taller

Comment

Well ....

I have experimented with my 1/2 gal batch. This was made to a CJJJJJJJJJJ Berry (his site appears to be down at the mo) recipe.

Sweetened to 1.040 ish, then Brandy added to taste. The actual amount added was only 175ml (in HALF a gallon) but it then tasted spot on. This turned out to be exactly the amount in the recipe.

I know this is much lower than required to hit the 19 - 20% alcohol range, but it is at fractionally under 18%, and it tastes great.

I'll tastes after a couple of months to see if it could take more spirit. I still have the main 1 gal batch to play with.
                        Pete the Instructor

It looks like Phil Donahue throwing up into a tuba

Comment

elderberries

Would dried elderberries work? and in what quantity?

Paul

Comment

Originally posted by Paul View Post
                            Would dried elderberries work? and in what quantity?

Paul
                            I'd have thought so, and I also recall there being a conversion chart somewhere on the site Paul - try the resources section.....

something like multiplication by 4 "rings a bell" so if the original recipe is 2lb of elderberries, then 1/2 lb of dry.

Don't take that as definite though, it's from memory....... but it's something like that.....

regards

JtFB

Some blog ramblings

Comment

Originally posted by fatbloke View Post
                              I'd have thought so, and I also recall there being a conversion chart somewhere on the site Paul - try the resources section.....

something like multiplication by 4 "rings a bell" so if the original recipe is 2lb of elderberries, then 1/2 lb of dry.

Don't take that as definite though, it's from memory....... but it's something like that.....

regards

JtFB
                              You're right John... there was a chart, that I believe Mamgiowl posted on behalf of Sniper....
                              And the number 4 is a definate for elderberries.... It differs from fruit to fruit.
                              I only know this is correct, as I have used it myself.

Edit: The Link
                              Last edited by spritzer; 03-04-2009, 12:32 AM. Reason: Add link
                              Insecure people try to make you feel smaller.

Confident people love to see you walk taller

Comment

Working...
                              X