X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Pilsner Urquell Clone

Pilsner Urquell Clone

Following on from my previous attempt at a Guinness clone I thought i'd give another favourite of mine a bash, Pilsner Urquell.

The recipe I have arrived at is a culmination of trawling the internet and the assistance of Alan from Elderberry in Whitley Bay. Here it is...

Grains
    7lbs Lager Malt
    2lbs Pale Malt
    0.5lb Carapils
    0.25 Munich

Hops
    3oz Saaz 60 mins (i.e. when wort is boiling add hops for this length of time then add the next)
    1oz Saaz 15 mins
    1oz Saaz 2 mins

1tsp Irish Moss (add this to wort before it boils)

Yeast - Saflager 23

I chose this yeast as it does not need the lower temperatures required for true lagering. I will attempt this at a later date when i obtain a spare fridge to control the temp....
    Last edited by kerosine; 06-01-2008, 08:04 PM.

Mix the grain and heat the water

Here is the grain all mixed and ready to go

Heating the water (3 gallon) to a strike temperature of 170 F

Attached Files

Comment

Mashing

I then attached the mashing bag to the Bruheat Boiler and added the grain, ensuring that all the grain is thoroughly mixed and that no dry pockets are left. This also helps to ensure there is an even distribution of heat which is essential for efficient mashing.

I then check to see if we are near the temperature of 152F required for mashing

Near enough for rock n roll so we are good to go.

I turn the heat off the bruheat, seal the lid and insulate. (i'm trying a different approach to last time to see how it compares to keeping the thermostat on).

Attached Files

Comment

Sparge/Laudering

While my grain is mashing under the duvet I get on with the task of heating another three gallon of water up to 170F. This is where another boiler would come in handy! Instead i have to make do with a large pan and a cooker.

I also take the opportunity to start to assemble "Sparge Towers"

On completion of the mash I transfer the grain to another bin with a tap in order to start the sparging and I pour the wort back through the grain. Basically I want to draw off all the sugars from the grain and drain them in to the boiler in order to boil the wort with the bittering hops. The image below shows the setup.

On the image you can see the wort draining off, this should take around 30 mins to complete.
        Attached Files
        Last edited by kerosine; 06-01-2008, 06:46 PM.

Comment

Hopping

After Sparging you bring the wort (approx 5 gallon) to the boil. At this stage add the teaspoon of Irish Moss. When it begins to boil add the first batch of Saaz hops (3oz) and boil for 60 mins.

Then add another 1oz and continue for 15mins, then add the final 1oz for the final 2 mins.

Comment

Cooling the wort

Ideally this should be done as quickly as possible. I currently don't have the ability to force the temperature down quickly so I have to transfer to the coldest place i can and wait until its at room temp.

Comment

Pitching the Yeast

The wort has cooled and i have checked the SG, Its come in at 1044 (I had hoped for Higher, so next time I may mash for longer).

The Saflager yeast just needs to be sprinkled to the wort. and here it is only 30 mins later starting to go

To Be Continued........
              Attached Files

Comment

Well the time came this weekend to transfer the pilsner into yet another newly aquired corny keg with CO2.

And the outcome was.....
                urquell.jpg

really pleased nice and crisp with a hoppy edge - not as clear as hoped but i'll leave to clear for longer next time

All in all a really successful brew

Mmmm only 39 pints to go

what next???

I'll deffo get another batch of guinness on the go, but I've also got the ingredients to try and replicate the new guinness red, I am going to base it on an IPA with added roast barley to give it a red hue.
                Last edited by kerosine; 05-02-2008, 08:23 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by kerosine View Post
                  Well the time came this weekend to transfer the pilsner into yet another newly aquired corny keg with CO2.

And the outcome was.....
                  [ATTACH]985[/ATTACH]

really pleased nice and crisp with a hoppy edge - not as clear as hoped but i'll leave to clear for longer next time

All in all a really successful brew

Mmmm only 39 pints to go

what next???
                  kerosine -- Great tutorial on the methods for all grain brewing and the out come with the pilsner looks delicious. You mentioned clearness ? I think that you recipe is terrific but could I ask why a lager yeast and not a pilsner yeast? You sure have the head and carbonation down pat.

The red (Guiness) sounds great - is this more of an heavy ale than a guiness?

Cheers Daw
                  Last edited by lockwood1956; 07-07-2010, 03:16 PM.

Comment

Working...
                  X