• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Tannin

I'm in the middle of making apricot wine and i don't have tannin
    Do i really need it and what can i use instead

Nia
    Everybody should believe in something; I believe i'll have another drink!

Originally posted by Cariad66 View Post
    I'm in the middle of making apricot wine and i don't have tannin
    Do i really need it and what can i use instead

Nia
    Hum?

As far as I know, if the main ingredient isn't grapes (apricot you say?), then I believe raisins are also OK - I understand that coarsely chopped or minced.

Is the apricot with fresh ones or dried ones ?

regards

John the fatbloke
    Women will never be equal to men until they can walk down the street with a bald head and a beer gut, and still think they are sexy.

Some blog ramblings

Comment

i got mainly fresh but do have some dried in the cupboard that need using..i got sultanas not raisins. was going to chuck in some lemon and orange too
      what ya think?
      Nia x

Comment

i got mainly fresh but do have some dried in the cupboard that need using..i got sultanas not raisins. was going to chuck in some lemon and orange too
        what ya think?
        Nia x
        Well as I understand it Nia, unless you're making raisin/sultana wine, they'd be used to add body to the end product (I was looking through my copy of the Canned/Dried fruit wine book last night).

The citrus fruit likewise, is often used to add citric acid instead of the powdered stuff. I'm guessing but personally I'd go for just lemon if it's an acid issue. For flavouring, you could add the zest of the orange/lemon (again, guessing from what I've read - I haven't heard of or seen anything about using orange as a main fruit ingredient, except with the Spiced Orange mead recipe - it's in the recipes section - and yes I've tried it and didn't like it).

That recipe said (from memory) 25 sultanas to a gallon (I think). So I'd guess that something like that might be ok.

The actual raisin/sultana recipes in "the book" use about 3 to 4lb per gallon. Depending on which variation is being attempted.

dunno if that lot helps any.

regards

JtFB
        Women will never be equal to men until they can walk down the street with a bald head and a beer gut, and still think they are sexy.

Some blog ramblings

Comment

FB! your a star

Comment

Tea is a good tannin substitute. Brew a cup, let it cool and add to must. I wouldn't make it too strong - sort of medium, I suppose

Oh, and I forgot to add that sultanas/raisins will raise the sugar content so if you use them, check the OG
            Last edited by Mamgiowl; 07-01-2008, 11:32 PM.
            Let's party

AKA Brunehilda - Last of the Valkaries

Comment

Tannin can be had from tea as mamgiowl says, or can be added by other means (tannin supplements...mainly available From the U.S.A.........PM me if you want details of where its available from)

tannin is a complicated subject not to be undertaken by someone who is guessing (sorry again John)

make a pot of very very strong tea (at least three tea bags per pot......and steep for at least 1/4 hour).....and add around 1/4 pint of this brew per gallon to your wine, it will NEVER go amiss.......tannins add structure and complexity
              Last edited by lockwood1956; 08-01-2008, 12:02 PM.
              N.G.W.B.J.
              Member of 5 Towns Wine and Beer Makers Society (Yorkshire's newest)
              Wine, mead and beer maker

Comment

Oh crap! i went ahead with this recipe

3 pounds fresh apricots

1 1/2 pounds sugar

1 pound honey

1 pound high quality dried apricots chopped

Juice of 2 lemons

1 teaspoon lemon zest

1/4 teaspoon grape tannin

1 teaspoon yeast nutrient

1 teaspoon pectic enzyme

1 Campden tablet

1 package wine yeast

Cut fresh apricots in half, remove pits and cut the fruit into quarters. Put the fruit in the fermenter and cover with sugar. Mix 1/2 gallon of water with the honey in a suacepan and bring to a boil. Skim off the foam. When no more foam rises to the top, add the chopped apricots to the honey mixture and pour over the fresh apricots. Add the lemon juice, lemon tannin, yeast nutrient, pectic enzyme and Campden tablet to the mixture. Let stand for 24 hours.

Add the yeast and let the mixture ferment for one week, stirring daily. Remove the solids and pour the liquid into an airlocked fermentation vessel. Let ferment for one month. Rack again and let ferment for two months. Rack again then bottle, cork and cellar the wine.

Wait at least six months before sampling.

Makes 1 gallon
                Well being as i'm Miss cobble together 2008 i was short on apricots so shoved a handfull of sultanas in there..i only had 1 lemon and no tannin..so i just prayed. Its still in the 1st stage so i'm sure i can panic add more ingredients..chillies maybe? LOL
                Someone remind me to actually add the yeast tomorrow!
                Nia xx

Comment

Double the tannin additions!

and er.........................
                  fernment for how many months??????????

this recipe looks suspect to me..............and unbelievbly olde worlde

time to look for new recipes

these old ones are "suspect"
                  Last edited by lockwood1956; 08-01-2008, 01:14 AM.
                  N.G.W.B.J.

Comment

OHH no don't tell me that!!!

Took me ages ..they was very small apricots

What exactly are the tannin ingredients i need to double??

Nia xx

Comment

OHH no don't tell me that!!!

Took me ages ..they was very small apricots

What exactly are the tannin ingredients i need to double??

Nia xx
                      you quote 1/4 teaspoon tannin....this neeeds to be at least 1/2 tsp (double)
                      N.G.W.B.J.

Comment

Ohh man..i had no tannin..that was the reason i opened this kettle of fish
                        i'll go shove a tea bag in the must?
                        Nia x

Comment

it's patience that makes people like you tolarate people like me..remember that!

Comment

Right, don't panic! Make a nice pot of tea, pour yourself a cup and enjoy a quiet sit down while you wait for the rest to cool. When it has add it to your brew.

Tannin is the ingredient that gives wine a 'bite' and without it you will get a very bland result.

Next step is to get yourself a hydrometre if you don't already have one. It really is the most essential bit of equipment you can have. They're not expensive and if you don't have a home brew shop near you try Wilkinsons.

The biggest problem with these old recipes is that they usually ask for too much sugar but a hydrometre will help you avoid this.

Don't worry too much about this brew, I have made loads of wines from 'old' recipes and while they would probably get laughed out of court in any competition I (and friends) have enjoyed drinking them, which is the important thing.

Just remember, we have all made mistakes and the joy of that is we learn from them.

Good luck with it and keep us posted
                            Last edited by Mamgiowl; 08-01-2008, 09:50 AM. Reason: Would you believe typos?
                            Let's party

AKA Brunehilda - Last of the Valkaries

Comment

your recipe lists 1/4 tsp grape tannin...I would make that 1/2 tsp
                              N.G.W.B.J.

Comment

Working...
                              X