No announcement yet.

Tannin

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

I have never used tannin b4. Would explain why my wine is sometimes tastless. Has been known to smell like a fart in a glass too!! It's only this last 18months i've started to follow recipes really. LOL do i have a lot to learn.

Nia x
    Everybody should believe in something; I believe i'll have another drink!

Comment

Originally posted by Cariad66 View Post
      it's patience that makes people like you tolarate people like me..remember that!

No...it's because we have all been where you are

here is one of my frst posts on a website.....nearly 4 years ago

I have just bottled my first batch of wine, made using Damsons from my garden.
      I have a feeling that is bordering on giddiness, I am flushed with exitement and have come over all strange, if one of my offspring were to behave in this manner then they would be duly told off.

lol

was it like this for you all?
      pic of the wine...notice too much airspace!!!

N.G.W.B.J.
      Member of 5 Towns Wine and Beer Makers Society (Yorkshire's newest)
      Wine, mead and beer maker

Comment

It looks nice doesnt it?

tasted like crap
        N.G.W.B.J.

Comment

And then someone burst his bubble with "you want to top that bottle up more before it oxidises"
          Discount Home Brew Supplies
          Chairman of 5 Towns Wine & Beer Makers Circle!
          Convenor of Judges YFAWB Show Committee
          National Wine Judge
          N.G.W.B.J Member

Comment

and another....god I was dim

ARGH!
            I have been making wine for a whole month now, whoo hoo, but suddenly realised today thatinstead of adding chopped raisins to the primary fermentation, I have been adding chopped sultanas!

WILL THIS MAKE A DRAMATIC DIFFERENCE????

am I to throw away my first attempts at brewing?

BUGGER
            N.G.W.B.J.

Comment

Sad thing is tho Bob, i've been at it for 17 years ( making wine that is) and surely i should have learnt a little by now..LOl..goes to prove i will drink anything. Taste buds seem to numb with shock after the 1st glass. I do use my hydrometer but only to measure that the sugar has gone. I really do hate sweet drinks. In the beginning i did keep a journal of my ingredients and results but i spose i got blasé and i don't even bother to sterilise a thing. Guess i've just been lucky up till now that i've not had a batch go bad. Been having a good old read on here and now i understand the sciencey bits more i'll still cobble together unusual wine like the old lady of Vicar of Dibley but with more care and attention now.
              Your all stars and a great help
              Who wants a bottle of apricot wine when its ready?/ LOLOL.
              2/1 that its another fart in a glass wine

Nia x
              Everybody should believe in something; I believe i'll have another drink!

Comment

The jump from making wine to making good wine, is a very small one
                N.G.W.B.J.

Comment

On the cheap...or spare no expense.

There are lots of natural ingredients to assist in your wine's character...although, it is so much easier to buy an ounce of these prepared adjuncts from the supplies shop. Good quaffable wines at home, premium wines and meads.

Comment

Originally posted by Duffbeer View Post
                    And then someone burst his bubble with "you want to top that bottle up more before it oxidises"
                    And then they banged on with "And have you made really, really sure it properly degassed?"
                    Let's party

AKA Brunehilda - Last of the Valkaries

Comment

Originally posted by Mamgiowl View Post
                      And then they banged on with "And have you made really, really sure it properly degassed?"

love it
                      Discount Home Brew Supplies
                      Chairman of 5 Towns Wine & Beer Makers Circle!
                      Convenor of Judges YFAWB Show Committee
                      National Wine Judge
                      N.G.W.B.J Member

Comment

I do use my hydrometer but only to measure that the sugar has gone.
                        Your hydrometer is your friend! Good job!

In the beginning i did keep a journal of my ingredients and results but i spose i got blasé and i don't even bother to sterilise a thing. Guess i've just been lucky up till now that i've not had a batch go bad. Been having a good old read on here and now i understand the sciencey bits more i'll still cobble together unusual wine like the old lady of Vicar of Dibley but with more care and attention now.
                        Yes, notes, sterilising and some minor supplies are all you need not only to make a good wine, but to make a great and reproduceable wine.

Once you break those old, not-so-good habits, you'll find that your wines become better as well.
                        Virtual Wine Circle & Competition Co-Founder
                        Twitter: VirtualWineO
                        Facebook: Virtual Wine Circle

Comment

Tea is a good tannin substitute. Brew a cup, let it cool and add to must. I wouldn't make it too strong - sort of medium, I suppose

Oh, and I forgot to add that sultanas/raisins will raise the sugar content so if you use them, check the OG
                          Tea! How stupid of me to forget that.

That also got me wondering how much the OG might be pushed by "a small handful of raisins/sultanas
                          Originally posted by lockwood1956 View Post
                          Tannin can be had from tea as mamgiowl says, or can be added by other means (tannin supplements...mainly available From the U.S.A.........PM me if you want details of where its available from)

tannin is a complicated subject not to be undertaken by someone who is guessing (sorry again John)

make a pot of very very strong tea (at least three tea bags per pot......and steep for at least 1/4 hour).....and add around 1/4 pint of this brew per gallon to your wine, it will NEVER go amiss.......tannins add structure and complexity
                          Ha ha! Another slap on the wrist. The tea suggestion is probably better though.
                          I have never used tannin b4. Would explain why my wine is sometimes tastless. Has been known to smell like a fart in a glass too!! It's only this last 18months i've started to follow recipes really. LOL do i have a lot to learn.

Nia x
                          I've used tannin, sultanas/raisins and tea. The tannin was for a specific recipe - I just recall seeing "Grape Tannin" on the pot - hence my remembering about sultanas as a possible alternative. Ancient Orange Spiced mead uses sultanas and my "normal" mead recipe uses tea.
                          Originally posted by Danina View Post
                          -----%<-----
                          Once you break those old, not-so-good habits, you'll find that your wines become better as well.
                          Ha ha! more good advice - I'm gonna write "I must make notes" 100 times - after the ubiquitous "Romanii ite domum"

The better advice that was offered makes sense - though it got me thinking whether there was some sort of "Tannin Advice" or "other advice" type "sheet" somewhere on the site about what can be used instead of something if the original "what" isn't available.

E.g. Lemon juice instead of citric acid, Tea instead of tannin, etc etc.

Or would there be an ingredients "pecking order"? i.e. Tannin, if not, tea, if not .............. (I'm not going to say sultanas or raisins, cos although I understand they can be used to add body to a wine/recipe I'll probably get told off again ).

I'd guess (see Bob, I do a lot of guessing ) that Nia's apricot should still turn out Ok, as far as I can find out, any sultanas/raisins added shouldn't make much, if any difference. I might well be incorrect in that presumption (apologies if that does turn out to be the case).

Ah well, that's the last time I try to offer advice/suggestions then.............................................. ....................

regards

JtFB

p.s. ................................NOT !
                          Women will never be equal to men until they can walk down the street with a bald head and a beer gut, and still think they are sexy.

Some blog ramblings

Comment

Ah well, that's the last time I try to offer advice/suggestions then..............................................

I blooming hope it isn't
                            Let's party

AKA Brunehilda - Last of the Valkaries

Comment

Ah well, that's the last time I try to offer advice/suggestions then..............................................

I blooming hope it isn't
                              I "drive" for a living. If I'm not screaming out of the cab window at people doing "strange" things, I'm shouting at the Radio (mainly during either Jeremy Vine or Steve Wright).

I'd be very hard pushed to keep a gob like mine closed! (I have to sleep sometimes though )

regards

JtFB
                              Women will never be equal to men until they can walk down the street with a bald head and a beer gut, and still think they are sexy.

Some blog ramblings

Comment

Originally posted by fatbloke View Post
                                I'd guess (see Bob, I do a lot of guessing ) that Nia's apricot should still turn out Ok, as far as I can find out, any sultanas/raisins added shouldn't make much, if any difference. I might well be incorrect in that presumption (apologies if that does turn out to be the case).

Ah well, that's the last time I try to offer advice/suggestions then.............................................. ....................

regards

JtFB

p.s. ................................NOT !
                                Top man John

as you can see..I took the you are guessing..stop it.. bit out, as on reflection (and once sober) I thought it a little harsh

just too funny

badonnage, you just cant whack it
                                Last edited by lockwood1956; 09-01-2008, 10:32 PM.
                                N.G.W.B.J.

Comment

Working...
                                X