Reusing your lees

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Reusing your lees

Discovered via chatt room one can reuse your lees to make a 2nd or 3rd batch of wine, by simply adding concord grape juice to it.

Getting more for your dollar.

How many of you do this?
    1)Reuse your lees once?
    2)Reuse your lees twice?
    3)Reuse your lees 3 times?

JC

Not me unless it's fresh grapes and doing a second run, generaly I pick the yeast i want for a certain fermentation of certain fruit. Now if your fermenting the same or simular on the same lees then.... hi ho silver, and go for it.
    Last edited by Duffbeer; 11-01-2008, 10:20 PM.
    Discount Home Brew Supplies
    Chairman of 5 Towns Wine & Beer Makers Circle!
    Convenor of Judges YFAWB Show Committee
    National Wine Judge
    N.G.W.B.J Member

Comment

Only with sound fruit doing a 2nd run. I always smell it well and if there are any rotten or SO2 odors, I toss it.

REBEL MODERATOR

...lay down the boogie and play that funky music 'til ya die...'til ya die !"

Comment

Who Was That Maskman...?

Yes, I reuse them and was the culprit that started this in the chat room.

Only with sound fruit doing a 2nd run. I always smell it well and if there are any rotten or SO2 odors, I toss it.
        Good advice, your nose knows...so do this!

Not me unless it's fresh grapes and doing a second run, generaly I pick the yeast I want for a certain fermentation of certain fruit. Now if your fermenting the same or simular on the same lees then.... hi ho silver, and go for it.
        Right again...neutral grape or same fruit, so as to pick up existing flavor, or at least one that blends well with the previous flavor. Do not try to add another yeast, as the previous yeast has the edge on fermenting the second batch.

One other major tip is I do not leave the first batch on the lees as long as some would prefer.
        For this process to work well, with temperatures below 70 F on those lees (personal preferences). Sometimes sooner, with high gravity yeast, it may only be three weeks on the lees for the first. Generally speaking the cooler the fermentations the more reuse you can get. Kind of a Sonora Method for sure.

Hi-Ho Silver...away...and Tonto always got beat-up when the Lone Ranger Dude sent him to town. Sad but true...remember?

Comment

I do it with grapes, always a 2nd run....

done it once with fruit pulp...damson and pear...its ageing as I type

I'll let you know how it turns out

regards
          Bob
          N.G.W.B.J.
          Member of 5 Towns Wine and Beer Makers Society (Yorkshire's newest)
          Wine, mead and beer maker

Comment

Nothing is 3 weeks on the lees here. Maybe 1 week, tops. 3-4 days on 2nd run lees.

REBEL MODERATOR

...lay down the boogie and play that funky music 'til ya die...'til ya die !"

Comment

I must agree I would not dream of trying to use the residual lees in the bottom of the Mead batch - to many other flavors going on there. I am also getting excited if anything including the mead is in the primary fermenter for more than seven days. I don't know I think yeast is very cheap and I think i would rather start a fresh batch each time. Cheers DAW

Comment

very occasionally- onle when I've not got a suitable yeast in the fridge. I would only take it from the second racking, as the first will likely have loads of debris from fruit etc. It's always worked, so maybe I should save some money, but it's easier just to open a new pack, and I like to use different yeasts for different wines.

Comment

As a “Newbie”, I thought this thread was worthy of resurrection as I use similar practices.

Generally I make three wines at a time, all are 4.5 litres vol. Some times I buy one (Beaverdale) kit (as, to me they are the best & the yeast is very good), the other two are home designed. The yeast is re-hydrated with a little supermarket fruit juice to get it “working”, I then proceed with the winemaking processes. Finally I share the yeast equally between the three wine musts.

After racking my beers, the liquid “leftovers” (+ some of the solids) are re-used in making a secondary brew. Tertiary beers are seldom made, especially when the weather is warm.
                  http://www.petespintpot.co.uk

Comment

Another way might be to make the starter and then freeze some.
                    Gluten free, caffeine free, dairy free, fat free – you gotta love this red wine diet!

Comment

The thread was titled re-using your lees

sharing a starter or freezing a starter doesn't constitute sharing of lees, however these are good ideas

re-using beer lees does though.

I use the lees for a 2nd run sometimes, but dont do a third

regards
                      Bob
                      N.G.W.B.J.
                      Member of 5 Towns Wine and Beer Makers Society (Yorkshire's newest)
                      Wine, mead and beer maker

Comment

I will read the question next time.

Sorry teach.
                        Gluten free, caffeine free, dairy free, fat free – you gotta love this red wine diet!

Comment

Working...
                        X