sherwoods cider kit.

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• sherwoods cider kit.

I made a sherwoods cider kit back in october and tried a bottle at the end of november and it tasted terreble, so i left it until now and tasted it again and its no better, it not just me that cannot drink it my family and friends all agree. i dont know what i did if any thing for it to taste like it do,s. but it not recommended by me and it wasnt even a cheap kit at £20 a kit. so thats off down the drain in the morning.

Originally posted by starsky007 View Post
    I made a sherwoods cider kit back in october and tried a bottle at the end of november and it tasted terreble, so i left it until now and tasted it again and its no better, it not just me that cannot drink it my family and friends all agree. i dont know what i did if any thing for it to taste like it do,s. but it not recommended by me and it wasnt even a cheap kit at £20 a kit. so thats off down the drain in the morning.
    007 - we hate to toss anything without knowing where it is that we have gone wrong. You do not give us very much information to go on only that it does not taste good. I have provided a link for the UK Cider Co it has a list that you can go through that may help identify more specifically what the problem might be. You could also contact the retailer that sold you the Kit and talk to them or take a sample to them to see if they can help. If you wish you can provide us with specific details of the entire process and we may be able to suggest what is wrong. Don't throw it out just yet - I would want to know what is wrong so I do not make the same mistake next time. Ciders made from fresh crushed apples take much longer to age but I believe the Cider kits take much less ageing.

Buy and Sell Domains with Dan.com. Discover millions of domain names available for sale. Dan.com keeps you safe.

Comment

Whoa! Don't throw it out until you tell us what it actually tastes like. We may be able to give you some advice on how to rectify it, or identify why it tastes the way it does.
      Let's party

AKA Brunehilda - Last of the Valkaries

Comment

I agree with the above, don't toss it for the sake of a quick post, and deny us the right to stay awake all night thinking of a cure..
        Discount Home Brew Supplies
        Chairman of 5 Towns Wine & Beer Makers Circle!
        Convenor of Judges YFAWB Show Committee
        National Wine Judge
        N.G.W.B.J Member

Comment

It doesnt taste of apples at all. it tastes more like ive not added some thing like the flavouring to it but i did it as the instuctions said. i thought when i tasted it after it had finished it would get better, but its not changed at all and thats 3 months on. so the taste is an fizzy acid drink.

Comment

Don't suppose you have the kit instructions to post do you, including what additions come with it, and the method you used ? We may not be able to save this brew but we might be able to advise where you went wrong, if you went wrong.
            Discount Home Brew Supplies
            Chairman of 5 Towns Wine & Beer Makers Circle!
            Convenor of Judges YFAWB Show Committee
            National Wine Judge
            N.G.W.B.J Member

Comment

I've made this kit and threw it out, it didn't make a nice drink.

Comment

Originally posted by starsky007 View Post
                It doesnt taste of apples at all. it tastes more like ive not added some thing like the flavouring to it but i did it as the instuctions said. i thought when i tasted it after it had finished it would get better, but its not changed at all and thats 3 months on. so the taste is an fizzy acid drink.

I don't know if you had the chance to check the link from the UK cider co. Some of the suggestions for the acid problem are below -- check out the link for more. Since others have had problems with the kit have you checked it out with them to inform them of the problem? Cheers DAW

There are two aspects of blending to consider. The blending of juice from different cider apple and possibly other apple varieties prior to fermentation, and the blending of different made ciders to make a final product to taste. Some of the the qualities which can be adjusted by bending are dryness/sweetness, acidity, alcohol strength, flavour, tannin and liveliness.

Q How can I correct for over-acidity? I know our cider is very acid as it's made from whatever apples we can get my hands on, mostly cookers and it tastes very acid, not tannin.

A Don't add chalk if you can avoid it - better is to add potassium carbonate (you may need to order Potassium Carbonate BP from a chemist). Go up in steps of about 1 gram per litre till you get to an acceptable place.

The alternative is to try using a malo-lactic bacterial culture. You can buy them from Vigo or Brouwland. But it's best to delay till springtime when it's warmer. They don't perform in the cold.

pH will tell you very little about acid *taste*. You really need a measure of titratable acidity to do that. - Andrew Lea

Comment

Originally posted by Duffbeer View Post
                  Don't suppose you have the kit instructions to post do you, including what additions come with it, and the method you used ? We may not be able to save this brew but we might be able to advise where you went wrong, if you went wrong.
                  I made it back in october, the instructions are on the side of the box and that was chucked out. i just followed the instructions when making it.

Comment

Working...
                  X