Fruit T Bag wine.

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Fruit T Bag wine.

In your local Asda on the tea isle you'll find Twinings fruit t bags, I have used these to make two wines and found them very good.

Camomile, vanilla and honey.(sweet)
    For 1 gal
    1 box Twinings t bags (16 or 20 in box ?)
    2 ltrs white grape juice
    1 tsp pectolase
    1 tsp nutrient
    1/2 t spoon tartaric acid
    1 sachet Lalvin 1118 yeast
    Sugar to sg 1.080

Boil 2 ltrs of water in a large pan and switch off the heat, add the t bags and allow to infuse for about 15 minutes. Squeeze the t bags and remove, allow the liquer to cool.

Add to the d/j the grape juice, pectolase
    nutrient and acid.
    Add the cooled liquer and sugar until sg 1.080, add the yeast or starter, cover and allow to ferment down to sg 1.040, add more sugar untill sg 1.060 and again ferment down to 1.040 and increase back to 1.060, then leave to ferment to dry. This should produce about 17% alcohol which is good for a sweet wine.
    Once ferment has ceased stabalise with sulphite and sorbate and leave to clear, use finings if you prefer, then sweeten to taste.

Raspberry, Cranberry and Elderflower (Dry fruity light red/rose)

Exactly the same method as above except red grape juice instead of white, sg to 1.090 and no sugar feeding, Lalvin RC212 or 71b yeast and do not back sweeten.
    Last edited by Duffbeer; 06-11-2008, 02:31 PM.
    Discount Home Brew Supplies
    Chairman of 5 Towns Wine & Beer Makers Circle!
    Convenor of Judges YFAWB Show Committee
    National Wine Judge
    N.G.W.B.J Member

Raspberry, Cranberry and Elderflower (Dry fruity light red)

Hi im Just doing the tbag wine from the recipe and i started it on the 20.March and i think that it has fermented out its reading 1006 and has been doing for over a week now has it finished fermenting or should it drop further

Comment

Well realisticaly it should have dropped below 1.000, but if it's been the same for a week then is't not going to drop any further now (what yeast did you use). I also wouldn't panic 1006 will give a med / dry and should still be pleasant. I would stabalize and continue to degass and clear.
      National Wine Judge
      N.G.W.B.J Member

Comment

Thanks i used a vinkwik dried cultered yeast (its the only yeast i can buy from the local home brew shop) the guy said it will do all wines mmm

Just starting another tbag wine tonight i had a sneaky drink of the last one as i degased and it did taste very nice

Comment

Originally posted by Darren View Post
          its the only yeast i can buy from the local home brew shop
          Send Bob (lockwood1956) a pm for a great deal on some awesome yeast, delivered to your door!

Rich

Comment

Originally posted by Rich View Post
            Send Bob (lockwood1956) a pm for a great deal on some awesome yeast, delivered to your door!

Rich
            True or collect some next time your down. I'll give you a couple of pkt's of 71b to try, you'll see a difference.
            National Wine Judge
            N.G.W.B.J Member

Comment

As I have 5 spare dj's doing nothing (have 5 on the go at the minute) I was thinking of giving t-bag wine a go.

I've just been to the Twinning's site and found some unusual t-bags which I may try.

Duffbeer, which ones would you recommend for a first time t-bag wine?

Do even the light fruit wines come out brown?

Comment

Vanilla tea might be a good start point....add white grape concentrate
                N.G.W.B.J.
                Member of 5 Towns Wine and Beer Makers Society (Yorkshire's newest)
                Wine, mead and beer maker

Comment

The tea comes out the same colour as whichever fruit it is. Not sure about camomile, I'd expect it to be a light golden wine.
                  Let's party

AKA Brunehilda - Last of the Valkaries

Comment

Originally posted by lockwood1956 View Post
                    Vanilla tea might be a good start point....add white grape concentrate
                    Sorry for being a bit dense Bob but when you say grape concentrate do you mean the small tins that they have in Wilkinsons or the actual White grape juice I have been using for my number 1 wines?

Comment

Originally posted by Mamgiowl View Post
                      The tea comes out the same colour as whichever fruit it is. Not sure about camomile, I'd expect it to be a light golden wine.
                      Thanks. I think I was thinking of the wines that are made with raisins and tea bags, they come out brown don't they.

Comment

The t bag wines in this post are dedicated to the two styles used, the cammomile,honey and vanilla is best with a little sweetness to bring out the honey flavour.
                        Remember to plan your wine... if you want a sweet wine from this it's best to sugar feed and aim for about 16 to 17 % alcohol, for a medium then just make your sg about 1.090 allow to ferment dry, stabalise and sweeten to about 1.010 - 1.015. This style of wine will not make a good dry white wine. It should, however, make a good medium to sweet wine, the colour should result in a light golden or straw colour.
                        National Wine Judge
                        N.G.W.B.J Member

Comment

Originally posted by sb44 View Post
                          Sorry for being a bit dense Bob but when you say grape concentrate do you mean the small tins that they have in Wilkinsons or the actual White grape juice I have been using for my number 1 wines?
                          2 ltrs of grape juice will be fine, and yes that you get in the supermarket, you could use the small tins of concentrate if you wish, but try to remember..grape juice is just that.... concentrate is much stronger, and recipes will vary, the above recipe's ask for grape juice, the 1 ltr cartons we get in Asda, Morrisons etc.
                          National Wine Judge
                          N.G.W.B.J Member

Comment

Thanks Duffbeer.

Julian Graves have an half price sale in some of their stores at the minute so shall pop in and see if they have any of these tea bags.

Comment

If anyone has a Home Bargain store nearby they have some cheap flavoured t bags in this week for 19p.

WWW.homebargains.co.uk

I picked up a couple of packets to try.

They are cheap because the wrapping is all in french best before date is Feb 2009.

One is Lemon Tangerine Tea, the other Red Fruits Tea.

I can't smell much when I open the Lemon one but the fruit ones are really strong smelling.

There are 15 round bags in each packet so I think that is enough to make a gallon.

Can someone please tell me how long tea bag wine normally takes befor being drinkable?
                              Last edited by Duffbeer; 05-06-2008, 04:51 PM.

Comment

Working...
                              X