No announcement yet.

Guava Wine

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

I agree with Danina, the first step would be to get your winemaking technique nailed down (successfully completing wines one and two in the new winemaker series would be a good starting point)

Then you could get into acidity testing and adjustment with wine No 3 in the series, and once you have a lot of experience then you can get into PH...
    the details of how to test for and adjusting the acidity of the wine in the tutorials section

see here
    From Winemaker mag http://www.winemakermag.com Subscription is $45 per year (delivered) For UK An acid testing kit is one of most important items in your lab. Acids, as most people know, are chemicals which, in high concentrations, are caustic and damaging. Their chemical opposites are known as bases or alkalis (such as

Bob asked me to write a few notes on adjusting acid and pH. While doing some research on the topic, I stumbled across several instances of the article below by Bill Colling. Since it is far more complete, better organised, and scholarly than any jottings I could throw together, I submit it for your reading pleasure. One note

you really should use the tutorials section for information, a lot of effort was put into them by the mod team and others, so please look there first....
    it will, coupled with the new winemaker series, answer many of your initial questions.

I got into PH before I was ready for it, and caused all sorts of problems for myself

hope this helps

regards
    Bob
    Last edited by lockwood1956; 01-02-2008, 08:11 AM.
    N.G.W.B.J.
    Member of 5 Towns Wine and Beer Makers Society (Yorkshire's newest)
    Wine, mead and beer maker

Comment

Dani and our leader Bob are very much correct - better to start out gradually and work your way into more advanced areas.
      Remember recipes are guidelines not regulations and that each of us have different tastes. The recipe writer may have liked it but you may not. Remember also that sooner or later along your wine making road you will come to a point when you ask how come this blueberry, raspberry or syrah tastes different than it did last year and I used the same honey for this Mead but it does not taste the same. As far as I know I made this batch with the same fermentation conditions and followed the recipe to a key but still something is not quite right - this batch has far to much of an acid taste or is to flat? The reason is likely the growing conditions or harvesting conditions and then it will be time to start on the pH and acid testing road. You consistentancy will improve greatly when that time comes. Cheers - Only some musings of why I include these testings as part of my mead and wine making process. Daw

Comment

Its on day 4. It looked like curdled who knows what the second the yeast went in and its been going absolutely mental ever sinse. The lees are flying round the DJ. Its like a demented high speed larva lamp. I still can't top it up yet

Nia xxx
        Attached Files
        Everybody should believe in something; I believe i'll have another drink!

Comment

Wonderful, Iv'e seen a few ferment like that, it shows how active the yeast is and liking the conditions of fermentation.
          Discount Home Brew Supplies
          Chairman of 5 Towns Wine & Beer Makers Circle!
          Convenor of Judges YFAWB Show Committee
          National Wine Judge
          N.G.W.B.J Member

Comment

Still a few more days there of the primary ferment. The eruptions are amazing - relaxing in a way - completely opposite of being near a real active volcano. Check the SG when it dies down when it reaches around 1.020 rack it into your secondary fermenter (s) and attach air lock(s). Cheers Daw.

Comment

Now thats an active ferment...........

isn't this hobby great?
              N.G.W.B.J.

Comment

Originally posted by Cariad66 View Post
                Its on day 4. It looked like curdled who knows what the second the yeast went in and its been going absolutely mental ever sinse. The lees are flying round the DJ. Its like a demented high speed larva lamp. I still can't top it up yet

Nia xxx
                cool, it looks like it's on its way to becoming a "Winning-Weston-Wine!"
                Virtual Wine Circle & Competition Co-Founder
                Twitter: VirtualWineO
                Facebook: Virtual Wine Circle

Comment

Shhhh Dani don't tell Bob or he'll sabotage it next time i ask a question. He'll tell me it needs sheep poo to help de~gas it. I need to keep my wits about me with him i think! He'll stop at nothing to be a winner i've been told

Nia xxx

Comment

Haha, funny but true
                    National Wine Judge
                    N.G.W.B.J Member

Comment

Originally posted by Cariad66 View Post
                      Shhhh Dani don't tell Bob or he'll sabotage it next time i ask a question. He'll tell me it needs sheep poo to help de~gas it. I need to keep my wits about me with him i think! He'll stop at nothing to be a winner i've been told

Nia xxx
                      I think you might be right, Nia. But....

Let me tell you a little secret.........

He likes to tell people to degas their wines, but doesn't do it himself.

You didn't hear it from me.
                      Virtual Wine Circle & Competition Co-Founder
                      Twitter: VirtualWineO
                      Facebook: Virtual Wine Circle

Comment

Let's party

AKA Brunehilda - Last of the Valkaries

Comment

naughty Bob..actually shooting too good for him!

Nia xxx

Comment

*Sulks*
                            N.G.W.B.J.

Comment

Originally posted by lockwood1956 View Post
                              *Sulks*
                              Whats up dude the girls ganging up on you
                              National Wine Judge
                              N.G.W.B.J Member

Comment

Originally posted by Danina View Post
                                He likes to tell people to degas their wines, but doesn't do it himself.

What??? Bob with a frizzante wine??

And I'm on my 9th vacuvin.... (not really, but it isn't smooth anymore!)

Rich

Comment

Working...
                                X