Dried Sloes Sloe Gin Help

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Duffbeer View Post
    John your a hoot mate, so this is actualy elderberry gin then.
    Yup! that's about the size of it. I did try to see if I could take a piccy to show the "lumps", but the reflection was lost in the glass!
    Originally posted by spritzer View Post
    ---%<---
    I am going to pick up a nice wee cheapo bottle of Gin when I go shopping later, and will add some to my current concoction.
    The gin won't be a problem for me, but that's a different story
    Although... after my wine making escapades... I have decided that I am going to add a third of a bottle... easier to put more in than take it out again
    It isn't difficult, I promise you. But it's part of that same "other story".

With any luck, I'll remember to get my finger out of my backside next year. There's plenty of sloes around here (there's even a bloke who picks them and ships them to a nursery in Shropshire - he must have shipped about a tonne and a half through our "yard" this year!).

regards

JtFB
    Women will never be equal to men until they can walk down the street with a bald head and a beer gut, and still think they are sexy.

Some blog ramblings

Comment

Well .....thats me added 250ml ish to my dried sloe gin

So...will wait a month before the next taste
      Insecure people try to make you feel smaller.

Confident people love to see you walk taller

Comment

Well...

I know its not strictly a full month since my last taste test...
        But I will be working in 2 days, so unable to test then... Thats my excuse and I am sticking to it

I really should have asked Santa for patience eh ??

Anyway.. back to the Sloe Gin...
        I have just strained a little out of the DJ for a littel taster.
        Its actually quite palatable. Not like your conventional Sloe Gins... but not too bad either.
        It is drinkable ( well 2 small glasses say it is )
        But still a little sweet. And it does have an alcoholic after kick to it.

The dried sloes are stll within the liquid.

Nothing more has been added since the end of January.

Any suggestions ?

My thoughts are to add a little more gin... maybe another 250ml.. just to take the sweetness edge off.. leave for another month and then see what it tastes like.
        Or I could strain off the sloes from the liquid and let it sit for a few months....

Like I said Any suggestions welcome
        Many Thanks
        Carole

Comment

I personally wouldn't add any more Gin just now, I would let it sit for the time you are not there, as the taste will alter.

you can always add later

patience will arrive at your door once your production matches or outgrows your consumption

hope this helps
          regards
          Bob
          N.G.W.B.J.
          Member of 5 Towns Wine and Beer Makers Society (Yorkshire's newest)
          Wine, mead and beer maker

Comment

Originally posted by lockwood1956 View Post
            I personally wouldn't add any more Gin just now, I would let it sit for the time you are not there, as the taste will alter.

you can always add later

patience will arrive at your door once your production matches or outgrows your consumption

hope this helps
            regards
            Bob

Yes... I think I will just put the DJ in the cupboard and forget abot it for a couple of months, as it is.
            Thanks
            Carole

Comment

Well... I have just been testing this ... I had forgotten about it

Its not bad .... and I will be making some more... soon

Very soon

Comment

Well heres a recipe that was told to me about 25 years ago - not made since then but from what I can remember it was a little like a thick syrup (but more then drinkable) and the sloes looked like rabbit poo!!

From memory:

1/2 lb sugar
                1/2 bottle gin
                1/2 lb sloes

Collect the sloes and prick them with a fork, in the 1/2 bottle of Gin put in the sugar and refit the lid and shake the bottle until the sugar is dissolved (I can remember that the sugar was a pain to get into the bottle ) now also put in the sloes to the same bottle and reshake.

Shake the bottle every day for the first week and then about twice a week every week until Christmas

Comment

I started another batch of this...

500g dried sloes
                  500g sugar
                  2L cheapo gin...

I would quite like to add some sort of spices to it...
                  But not sure what, and in what quantities ...
                  Any idea ??

Comment

Originally posted by spritzer View Post
                    I started another batch of this...

500g dried sloes
                    500g sugar
                    2L cheapo gin...

I would quite like to add some sort of spices to it...
                    But not sure what, and in what quantities ...
                    Any idea ??

This is the recipe that I used, for the entry into VWC this year...
                    In the end, the only spices I added was cinnamon sticks... 2 approx 12cm, 1 approx 4 cm.
                    It sat in the corner, for about 8 months, then strained... then left some more... then bottled.

The feedback I got from the judges, was to add a little sweetness and some glycerin, which I will try in the next batch.

Comment

Well it does seem that a lot of the sloe gin recipes are similar i.e. 1lb sloes, 1 pint of gin, 1/2 lb sugar - maybe a little cinnamon, allspice or star anise to taste.

I hadn't bothered before, so asked a mate who had and he did similar but we worked out he only used 5oz sugar per bottle.

On the basis of that, I used 4oz per pint so that worked out about 6 oz per bottle, which isn't too syrupy or too sharp - a little "sherberty".

Oh and I made 2 gallons and still have the fruit in the carboy......

regards

Jtfb

p.s. and dried sloes look even more like rabbit/sheep poo!

Plus I didn't bother with pricking 16lb of sloes I froze then thawed them instead - seemed to work fine......
                      Women will never be equal to men until they can walk down the street with a bald head and a beer gut, and still think they are sexy.

Some blog ramblings

Comment

freeze and thaw - nice one.
                        Gluten free, caffeine free, dairy free, fat free – you gotta love this red wine diet!

Comment

Working...
                        X