Dried Sloes Sloe Gin Help

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Dried Sloes Sloe Gin Help

In October last year, I bought some dried sloes, to make sloe gin - there is no fresh sloes in my area

This is the quantities I used
    400g dried sloes
    250g sugar
    1L cheap and cheerful gin.

The trouble is, I have taste tested it 2/3 times... and it is really, really sweet.

Any suggestions to rectify this will be greatly appreciated.
    Insecure people try to make you feel smaller.

Confident people love to see you walk taller

As this is a liquer and won't be fermenting the only thing I can suggest is more gin to dilute the sugar proportion. You might have to add more sloes too, to keep the taste.

I've never made it so someone who has may have a better solution.

Watch this space
    Let's party

AKA Brunehilda - Last of the Valkaries

Comment

Originally posted by Mamgiowl View Post
      As this is a liquer and won't be fermenting the only thing I can suggest is more gin to dilute the sugar proportion. You might have to add more sloes too, to keep the taste.

I've never made it so someone who has may have a better solution.

Watch this space
      Thanks for your reply Mamgiowl

Yes... I did wonder about adding more gin
      I was just a little concerned as I had used dried sloes, and how their taste will affect the gin.
      I still have 600g of them...

Comment

With that many sloes maybe you could start another batch with a lot less sugar then mix the two?
        Let's party

Comment

With that many sloes maybe you could start another batch with a lot less sugar then mix the two?
          Ahhhhhh...........
          Now that might be an ideal solution.
          I thought that adding another half bottle of gin may be the solution after your earlier post....
          Decisions, decisions.....

Comment

What do I know, already?

As I said, I've never made it, just thinking off the top of my head.
            Let's party

Comment

What do I know, already?

As I said, I've never made it, just thinking off the top of my head.

No... thats great Mamgiowl. This is my first time making it too

Sometimes I need a little help to think outside the box
              Thanks

Comment

OK - we'll crack this one together.
                Let's party

Comment

I tried a different route.

I had a couple of bottles of gin, but the sloes that the HBS had looked a little unhealthy to me, so I opted for dried elderberries.

I added about 400gm of sugar, the 500gm of dried elderberry and about 2 and a half bottles of gin.

All into a 2.25 ltr demi-john.

Now it seems like I have 2.25 ltr's of very, very strong, lumpy ribena.

My next plan is to run it into a 4.5 ltr/1 gallon DJ and top it up with gin (I reckon about 3 bottles should do the trick).

I haven't got any kind of reference for taste though, as I've not actually tried sloe or any other kind of flavoured gin (other than gin flavoured with tonic and lemon ).

Once it's been diluted I'll post a piccy.

regards

JtFB
                  Women will never be equal to men until they can walk down the street with a bald head and a beer gut, and still think they are sexy.

Some blog ramblings

Comment

Originally posted by fatbloke View Post

I had a couple of bottles of gin, but the sloes that the HBS had looked a little unhealthy to me, so I opted for dried elderberries.

I added about 400gm of sugar, the 500gm of dried elderberry and about 2 and a half bottles of gin.

My next plan is to run it into a 4.5 ltr/1 gallon DJ and top it up with gin (I reckon about 3 bottles should do the trick).

I haven't got any kind of reference for taste though, as I've not actually tried sloe or any other kind of flavoured gin (other than gin flavoured with tonic and lemon ).

regards

JtFB
                    Mmmmmhhhh....
                    I do think adding more gin is the best option for me. The concontion I have on the go at the moment is not vile... just very sweet and of cough mixture consistancy.

I think because the sloes are dried, then their flavour has become compounded, and sweeter.

I think I will add half bottle of gin.. then wait a month and do another taste test.
                    I can always add more of whatever I think it needs then eh ?

Comment

Way to go, Spritzer!

Take notes along the way so next time you'll know how much sugar to start with.

Good luck and keep us posted

Let's party

Comment

Originally posted by fatbloke View Post

regards

JtFB
                        John your a hoot mate, so this is actualy elderberry gin then.
                        Discount Home Brew Supplies
                        Chairman of 5 Towns Wine & Beer Makers Circle!
                        Convenor of Judges YFAWB Show Committee
                        National Wine Judge
                        N.G.W.B.J Member

Comment

Oh dont you worry Mamgiowl ... I will

Only one of the recipes that I found used dried sloes, which is what I followed... but looks as thought this one will be a trial and error to perfection concoction

This was the link I used
                          With plenty of autumnal fruits around, now is the perfect time to plan ahead and make exotic and tasty liqueurs. If you start now they'll be ready in a couple of months. Won't your friends be impressed!

Comment

Looks like this would require very dry gin, or perhaps fill the jar to only 1/8th with sugar.

Could be this is a very old recipe, dating back to when sugar wasn't as refined as it is now.
                            Let's party

Comment

Maybe it is an older recipe

I am going to pick up a nice wee cheapo bottle of Gin when I go shopping later, and will add some to my current concoction.

Although... after my wine making escapades... I have decided that I am going to add a third of a bottle... easier to put more in than take it out again

Comment

Working...
                              X