Tinned (canned) fruit

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Tinned (canned) fruit

Here is a simple but effective recipe for canned/tinned fruit, but you may use this recipe for pretty much any tinned fruit. (I feel a tutorial coming on!)

Tinned Fruit wine

2 X 411 gram tin of Fruit (in syrup or in juice doesnt matter...I prefer syrup)
    sugar to S.G. 1.080 (approx 1 kilo)
    3 teaspoons citric acid (or adjust to personal taste...strawberries need 3 tsp mandarins need none)
    1/2 teaspoon tannin
    1 tsp Pectolase
    1 Vitamin B1 tablet or yeast energiser
    1 tsp Yeast Nutrient
    Good quality yeast
    Water to 4.54 litres

Pour the syrup from the can into the primary fermenter, liquidise or mash the fruit with a potato masher
    Boil 2 litres of water and dissolve the sugar in it, allow to cool to 70 degrees F, place fruit pulp into primary and pour over the sugar syrup.
    Add water to 4.54 litres, add the acid, tannin, pectolase, yeast energiser and yeast, stir daily, when S.G. reaches 1.010 rack into a clean demijohn, leaving the sediment behind, top up with cooled boiled water.

ferment till finished, racking and bottling as normal.

If you wish to have a sweet wine, when ferment is finished, add 1/2 tsp potassium sorbate and 5ml 10% sulphite solution (or 1 campden tablet) and back sweeten, allow to stand for 14 days, if no refermentation, rack and bottle as normal.

In case you havent gone metric yet.....

hope this helps
    regards
    Bob
    Last edited by lockwood1956; 31-01-2008, 10:02 AM.
    N.G.W.B.J.
    Member of 5 Towns Wine and Beer Makers Society (Yorkshire's newest)
    Wine, mead and beer maker

When you racked at 1010 did you have trouble siphoning the liquid off the fruit?

At the moment mine still has a lot of fruit floating about in it.

Or do you just pour the contents into a fine seive over a funnel and let the liquid drain through into a clean demijohn to finish its ferment?
    Cad Drawings: www.draughting-solutions.com

Comment

That's the way I do it
      Let's party

AKA Brunehilda - Last of the Valkaries

Comment

I agree sieve and funnel, not everyones choice, some prefer a staining bag for the fruit and some will syphon from below the pulp, but as Mamgi above I just scoop with a large jug and strain through a flour sieve.
        Discount Home Brew Supplies
        Chairman of 5 Towns Wine & Beer Makers Circle!
        Convenor of Judges YFAWB Show Committee
        National Wine Judge
        N.G.W.B.J Member

Comment

Nice one..
          Must be learning something at last
          Cad Drawings: www.draughting-solutions.com

Comment

my local Morrisons has tinned strawberries on BOGOF,so I bought a few tins(24 actually)

But on reading other threads,strawberry seems to drop it colour

my question is..
            If I used 1 ltr of red grape juice and halve the amount of water and adjust the sugar needed....

would that help with the colour and would I need to increase/decrease the tannin and citric acid ?
            Last edited by Zebedee; 17-02-2008, 01:13 PM. Reason: * spelling
            I wish I was a glow worm
            Cos a glow worm's never glum
            It's hard to be unhappy
            When the sun shines out your bum

Comment

Working...
            X