Introduce Yourselves here

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Hello All,
    I live in Southern California, USA. I am a member of a couple of wine making forums in the U.S but when looking around the internet, I came across this website and I started to read some of the threads and I became fascinated and thought to myself, I want to join this forum. I have not done much winemaking ( only a couple of years) and I have a lot of learn. I know this forum will be helpful. Lastly, when I look at the names of the town and a detail here and there, it reminds me when I visited England years ago and that brings back some very found memories.

Lastly, Why Dodger for a username? I have always been a big baseball fan and the Los Angeles Dodgers have always been my home team.

Thank you for having me.
    Dodger

Comment

• Welcome Dodger, nice to have you here.

Comment

• Hi People

Thought I better finally introduce my self as I have been watching, reading and learning on this forum for a while but just not got round to to saying hello, so hello.

I'm fairly new to wine making and can only get better from here I guess.

I've managed to build my self a fermenting box which should help my wine ferment at a more constant temperature, a bit better than my first batches.

Chat soon

Paul

Comment

• Welcome Paul,
          Glad you joined. Be interested to hear details on your 'fermenting box'. Many of us have had a crack at doing something like that so interested to share details on insulation etc.

Simon
          Simon
          "I can certainly see that you know your wine. Most of the guests who stay here wouldn't know the difference between Bordeaux and Claret." - Basil Fawlty

Comment

• Hi Simon

I'll get some pictures on here soon, just made out of 75mm celotex with a bulb and fan to heat it and the guts from a small beer fridge to cool it, works quite well on the small scale and keeps it between 16.5-18.5c. It holds about 20 DJ or 12 isn 3g carboys.

Comment

• Hi there, the name is Chris. I have made a few kits many years ago but then gave the hobbie up. Back now and have made two kits so far this month.
              I have also put two gallons of wine from scratch down, God knows what it will be like. Apple and Blueberry wine and apple with a few pieces of orange thrown into it. They are still in the buckets hissing away before I transfer them into Demi jons.

Anyone from Northern Ireland ? That's where I am from. I am still picking bits and pieces up so if you know anyone with too much equipment they want to relocate let me know.

Comment

• Welcome aboard Niwine. What kits did you do?
                Cheers,
                Dave.
                If I won the lottery I'd spend half the money on wine, women and song.
                But I'd probably just waste the rest of it!

Comment

• Hi Dave, I have made a Pinot Chardonnay by Vineco and a Shiraz by Solomon Grundy. I would be more of a red wine person myself whilst the wife likes white Pinot Grigio ( Not so hot on the Spelling )

Although I am game enough to have a go at making my own. The only draw back I have is poisoning either myself or someone else. I am trying to amas as much equipment as I can so I can make more. I have located one of the large carbons that water companies use for dispensing water, the only thing I need for it is a large bung for the top.

If you or anyone else knows where to get on it would be a help. Infancy any help regarding brewing would be marvellous .

Chris

Comment

• Hi Chris and welcome.

It may be worth trying Wine Number 1 here: http://www.winesathome.co.uk/forum/s...on-the-BBC!%29
                    Great tutorial for making quick easy to drink wines and working you through the basics to build up your knowledge.

On the water company bottles. These may be OK for short term storage but I think one or two folk have had oxidation issues with them so probably best to avoiding keeping finished wine in them for too long. Not exactly sure on the size of the neck but this outfit seems to have bored bungs of various sizes so may be worth measuring and giving them a call/look http://stores.ebay.co.uk/costwisegro...sub=7776040017

Happy winemaking
                    Simon
                    Simon
                    "I can certainly see that you know your wine. Most of the guests who stay here wouldn't know the difference between Bordeaux and Claret." - Basil Fawlty

Comment

• Hello everyone. Time for an introduction. I live in the far northwest corner of the United States. This is our second year of making Bordeaux style reds from Washington State grapes. We travel to the eastern part of the state at harvest and pick up a trailer load of Cab Sauv, Merlot, and Cab Franc grapes. The wine making all takes place in the garage I suspect like most folks on this forum. We age in small Hungarian oak barrels and hope to have a product one day that will save expensive trips to the wine merchant.

Hope to learn and share with you on this informative forum.

Cheers,

Greg

Comment

• Hi to all. I joined a while ago but didn't get access. So forgot about the forum for a while. But I see now, that I'm in.
                        I'm Mike. I used to make wine about 30 years ago. When the main supplier of products was Boots the chemists. My crowning achievement was a superb claret, from a concentrate.
                        I'm now 70yo. I've lived in London for most of my life, but 9 months ago, moved to central Scotland. I now live in Callander, right on the gateway to the Highlands. My interest was rekindled when I saw how much 'raw material' was just lying around waiting to be gathered. Things happen a little slowly up here. For example, The elderflower has only just come into blossom. So that will be my first project. My nearest winemaking supplier, a health food shop' is 15 miles away. And the nearest Wilkos is 24 miles away. So one has to plan ahead, and keep a good supply of everything.
                        Anyway. Look forward to chatting.

Comment

• Welcome aboard.

I know what you mean about being a little rural - I tend to keep good stock of stuff in too. I am today planning to order some malt for my beer making - it is easiest to order it by the sack !

Not so sure about wine - is Scotland not the place for whiskey making :-)
                          Gluten free, caffeine free, dairy free, fat free – you gotta love this red wine diet!

Comment

• Hi there. Aye, it is. But you might come up with a bit of competition from the Constabulary.
                            One of the best things about living up here, is the water. For example. Our electric kettle is 7 years old now. Used many times a day. But inside, it still looks as if it was brand new out of the box yesterday.

Comment

• Originally posted by Goldfynche View Post
                              Hi to all. I joined a while ago but didn't get access.
                              Hi Mike

Sorry about the wait for activation. I dont have the time to devote to the forum that I used to

Welcome aboard.
                              N.G.W.B.J.
                              Member of 5 Towns Wine and Beer Makers Society (Yorkshire's newest)
                              Wine, mead and beer maker

Comment

• Thankyou. I do understand. No problem.
                                Due to adverse weather. I never did get out to 'harvest' the elderflower. I guess I will now just have to wait until they turn into elderberries. The weather can be very unpredictable up here. Driving down the Main Street, you can still see snow on some of the higher mountains!

Comment

Working...
                                X