Introduce Yourselves here

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Hi there,
    My name is Carole-Anne and I'm just restarting a wine making hobby due to an excess of summer fruit!
    I'm also attempting pineapple wine after being told that its one you really must try and with pineapples being 50p each at Asda last week it was too good not to give it a go!
    I'm looking forwards to reading all your knowledge and adventures

C.A.x

Comment

• Saying Hi, have been browsing for a while, picking up lots of tips. Used to make wine from kits about 25 years ago. Got busy with other life things and stopped , then dusted off my demijohns last year and started again from scratch. Realised I didn't know anything. Dug out my Berry book - which is now in two separate halves - really useful read. I think I'm finally beginning to comprehend how to use the hydrometer.

Am currently drinking one year old ports and reds, some with unknown alcohol % as I wasn't doing the readings properly - also got some beer and mead awaiting my attention.

Have 5 more gallons on the go bubbling away nicely - it's a good time of year for me to make wine as I'm busy in the garden come spring - plus there's no pesky vinegar flies around this time of year.

Got a mead/melomel question so I guess I'll try and find where to post that. Have found the forum really useful. So thanks for all the generous tips and recipes.

Why is it that when I pop my hydrometer into the jar to do a reading the numbers are always facing away from me? I wish someone would make an indestructible one - am on my fourth.

Wendy - South Yorkshire

Comment

• Greetings. I go by Ukulele01 online, but my name is Christina. I live New Brunswick, Canada, where we have long, cold winters. Five years ago we bought a hobby farm and I retired, to look after it.

I have been making beer from kits, and partial mashes, for years. Since we move to our hobby farm I have made a couple of batches of apple cider, and then I got into wine making just last fall. Actually I am not much of a wine drinker. The main reason I make wine is to serve as feed stock for the little vinegar making business I started. I am making country wines, trying to use ingredients I either grow myself or forage in the woods and ditches, to appeal to the "buy local" folks, and to offer flavours that are not commonly found in grocery stores.... But I am not hard nosed about the ingredients having to be local.

FYI, I have never made a grape wine from a kit.

Anyway, looking forward to learning lots from the experienced wine makers on the forum.

Cheers,

Christina.

Comment

• Just to introduce myself: I'm in rural Essex, UK, just west of Chelmsford, recently retired after 46 years of 'paid work' and I've revived a very old interest in winemaking that I first enjoyed in the 70s and early 80s when I bought various bits of kit from Boots and used CJJ Berry's books as the bible.

I find it's all changed since then. Demijohns are 'out' (though still available if you've megabucks to spend), large Wilco containers are in. All-plastic fermentation traps have replaced fragile glass ones and the available yeasts are so much better. I've got growing stocks of beetroot (I have 3 allotments which produce mountains of the things). Likewise parsnip. The hedgerows around here produce lots of really good blackberries and I've also done four or five of the kit grape wines.

None of them have so far turned out a disaster and a couple of the beetroot batches have been acclaimed by friends and acquaintances as 'remarkably good'.

Having said that, I'm enjoying looking for new wines to try and better ways of doing it and thoroughly enjoying the products along the way.

Regards,

Tom.

Comment

• Hello to everyone. I have just joined the forum and look forward to being an active member. I am just starting wine making again after a number of years away. A career change put a stop to my wine making a number of years ago, lack of spare time being the problem. I now have the time to once again take up my favourite hobby. I am just in the process of collecting all the necessary equipment to get started and will probably start off with a kit. We have recently planted a number of grape vines in the garden with a view to producing both eating and wine grapes. There is a very good home brew shop just a few miles away that is very well stocked and the owner is very knowledgeable with regards to both wine and beer making. OK that is it for now. I look forward to posting again soon.
            Many thanks and kind regards
            GrapeApe

Comment

Working...
            X