08 Pruning

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• 08 Pruning

Sorted my vines out today (at last) been waiting for frosts to disappear, and hurricane winds and earthquakes to stop, but finally got to it.
    Attached Files
    Last edited by lockwood1956; 10-03-2008, 04:36 PM.
    N.G.W.B.J.
    Member of 5 Towns Wine and Beer Makers Society (Yorkshire's newest)
    Wine, mead and beer maker

Neat as a pin - I like it!
    Steve

Comment

Originally posted by lockwood1956 View Post
      Sorted my vines out today (at last) been waiting fro frosts to disappear, and hurricane winds and earthquakes to stop, but finally got to it.

Nice work Bob. I have asked some of the grape growers in the Okanagan why they plant grass between their rows of grapes and they said that they wanted the grapes to have competition and have to work for any nutrients that they get? I guess that it kind of makes sense when we look at many of the grape growing areas and the types of soils that some of the vines are growing in? Cheers Bob - hope you have more lick this year with the birds> Daw

Comment

I bought a shotgun and nets Daw )

regards
        bob
        N.G.W.B.J.

Comment

Cool.

Are those Palmetto bushes over your left shoulder, and is that gray barked tree a hackberry ?

REBEL MODERATOR

...lay down the boogie and play that funky music 'til ya die...'til ya die !"

Comment

What wonderful pics!

Makes me jealous!

Good job, Bobby-boy!
            Virtual Wine Circle & Competition Co-Founder
            Twitter: VirtualWineO
            Facebook: Virtual Wine Circle

Comment

Originally posted by StockeyDAW View Post
              Nice work Bob. Cheers Bob - hope you have more lick this year with the birds> Daw
              sigpic

Comment

Originally posted by Hippie View Post
                Cool.

Are those Palmetto bushes over your left shoulder, and is that gray barked tree a hackberry ?

It's a palm tree....not sure what sort

and the Tree is a sycamore
                Cheers
                Bob
                N.G.W.B.J.

Comment

Awesome. Good luck licking those birds. To each his own. Our Sycamore trees here have different bark.

REBEL MODERATOR

...lay down the boogie and play that funky music 'til ya die...'til ya die !"

Comment

Neat work Bob,

I pruned my small collection a few weeks ago. Dunno why, but I seemed to have more trouble snapping shoots where they join the crown this year when I bend them over for Guyot training.

I have asked some of the grape growers in the Okanagan why they plant grass between their rows of grapes and they said that they wanted the grapes to have competition and have to work for any nutrients that they get?
                    According to the guys at Plumpton College where I did a course, planting grass in the aisles competes with the vines for nitrogen and helps to regulate the canopy growth. Our soils generally have too much nitrogen, hence tendency for vines to grow too much leaf here in UK (like triffids to quote Bob). It's important to cut the grass and take the cuttings away, or get some sort of animal to do it (and take their droppings away).

I've just thinned some of my vines that were planted on 1.2metre spacing and getting seriously tangled. I took out every other one and I'm training the remainders to make a second crown at the site of the removed ones. My theory is that this will restore the leaf/grape balance....

Not sure if I'm repeating anyone, but this site

wine making,winemaking,virtual, wine, circle, virtual wine, virtual wine circle,home winemaking,make wine at home,home made wine,homemade wine,winemaking blog,blog,wine blog,grape growing blog,winemaking forum,winemaking discussion forum,grape growing forum,wine kit,wine making,mead making,make mead,amateur,home made wine,wine,wine,winepress,wine press,press,wine-press,grape,grow grapes,fruit press,fermenting,fermentation,cork,trellis,trellising,home wine making,home made wine,homemade wine,vintner,wine press,homemade,fruit press,winepress,grape,vine,vineyard,growtube,grow tube,grow tubes,blue-x,trellis,trellissing,wine,cellar,bottle filler,wine making,winemaker,home made wine forum,homemade wine forum,vineyard Supply,Logic,airlock,air lock,primary fermenter,primary, secondary fermenter,bottle filler,winemaking dvd,Vineyard Sprayers,wine forum,Winemaking,Adsorption,Airlock,kit wines,mead,mead wines,making homemade wine,wine recipes,winemaking recipes,winemaking techniques,Alcohol,Alternative wine closures Home Wine Making & Grape Growing discussion forum. FREE membership, Live Cellar Web Cam, discounts to members from various suppliers and more. There are product reviews and plenty of recipes from fruit wines, grape wines, to kit wines. This site is to help others who want more information on making home made wine.

in the Grape Growers Notebook (scroll down the page) has some interesting ideas about bird netting without you net the whole vineyard.

Chris

Comment

Originally posted by chris_b View Post
                      Neat work Bob,

I pruned my small collection a few weeks ago. Dunno why, but I seemed to have more trouble snapping shoots where they join the crown this year when I bend them over for Guyot training.

According to the guys at Plumpton College where I did a course, planting grass in the aisles competes with the vines for nitrogen and helps to regulate the canopy growth. Our soils generally have too much nitrogen, hence tendency for vines to grow too much leaf here in UK (like triffids to quote Bob). It's important to cut the grass and take the cuttings away, or get some sort of animal to do it (and take their droppings away).

I've just thinned some of my vines that were planted on 1.2metre spacing and getting seriously tangled. I took out every other one and I'm training the remainders to make a second crown at the site of the removed ones. My theory is that this will restore the leaf/grape balance....

Not sure if I'm repeating anyone, but this site

wine making,winemaking,virtual, wine, circle, virtual wine, virtual wine circle,home winemaking,make wine at home,home made wine,homemade wine,winemaking blog,blog,wine blog,grape growing blog,winemaking forum,winemaking discussion forum,grape growing forum,wine kit,wine making,mead making,make mead,amateur,home made wine,wine,wine,winepress,wine press,press,wine-press,grape,grow grapes,fruit press,fermenting,fermentation,cork,trellis,trellising,home wine making,home made wine,homemade wine,vintner,wine press,homemade,fruit press,winepress,grape,vine,vineyard,growtube,grow tube,grow tubes,blue-x,trellis,trellissing,wine,cellar,bottle filler,wine making,winemaker,home made wine forum,homemade wine forum,vineyard Supply,Logic,airlock,air lock,primary fermenter,primary, secondary fermenter,bottle filler,winemaking dvd,Vineyard Sprayers,wine forum,Winemaking,Adsorption,Airlock,kit wines,mead,mead wines,making homemade wine,wine recipes,winemaking recipes,winemaking techniques,Alcohol,Alternative wine closures Home Wine Making & Grape Growing discussion forum. FREE membership, Live Cellar Web Cam, discounts to members from various suppliers and more. There are product reviews and plenty of recipes from fruit wines, grape wines, to kit wines. This site is to help others who want more information on making home made wine.

in the Grape Growers Notebook (scroll down the page) has some interesting ideas about bird netting without you net the whole vineyard.

Chris
                      Yes nitrogen depletion is one of the benefits of grass between rows but also it is to do with the overall soil chemistry. Grapes grown in soil conditions with high potassium and then again fertilized with high potassium fertilizer may result in grapes with high pH levels and and acid levels that are difficult to adjust. Growing grass between rows will have some helpful benefits for using many nutrients (not only nitrogen although it is the main one) and aid in making grapes work for their food. Cheers Daw my opinion.

Comment

Working...
                      X