No announcement yet.

How much wine are you making this year?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• How much wine are you making this year?

I was just trying to work out how much wine I intend to make this year and got quite a shock!

I have already done the 2 Wine Expert kits (Luna Rossa is clearing) so that is 10 gallons. I have a Pinot Grigio and a Rioja waiting to go on, that's another 10 gallons. Another 10 gallons from "Grapefest 08" and that's 30 gallons without breaking a sweat! It is looking like a total of approx 50 gallons for the year, I had better get my wine racks sorted.
    National Wine Judge NGWBJ

Secretary of 5 Towns Wine and Beer Society

My friends would think I was a nut, turning water into wine....... Lyrics from Solsbury hill by Peter Gabriel

Member of THE newest wine circle in Yorkshire!!

Well..

Last year, I had every intention of making no more than 80 gallons, but ended up making 115. This year, I'm aiming for 60.

I may also give up kits for good this year, and stick to just fresh grape and fruit wines. With the decline of the US dollar, the kits have gone up so much in price that it isn't worth the cost. I have one more sitting on the shelf, but haven't bought any new.

Steve
    Steve

Comment

Sorry, too paranoid to say. Alot.

$ is declining ? Man I need to turn the tube on now and then !

REBEL MODERATOR

...lay down the boogie and play that funky music 'til ya die...'til ya die !"

Comment

I made about 200+ gallons last year, about 80 gallon of that is bulk ageing, trying to keep it down to 100 gallon this year, but who knows Iv'e allready made 40 so far Ooo and thats not including beer.
        Discount Home Brew Supplies
        Chairman of 5 Towns Wine & Beer Makers Circle!
        Convenor of Judges YFAWB Show Committee
        National Wine Judge
        N.G.W.B.J Member

Comment

Originally posted by NorthernWiner View Post
          I may also give up kits for good this year, and stick to just fresh grape and fruit wines.
          I was thinking the same...although I bought a magnum ultimate kit for £25 for the 5 litres of merlot varietal concentrate it contained.

Have sourced RGC and WGC for £18 for 5 litrers, will give it a go and see if its any good

but this year will likely be (if the grapes come in)

12 gal Sangiovese
          12 gal Trebbiano
          12 Gal nero D'avola
          12 gal Montepulciano
          12 gal Cilieguilio
          12 gal Merlot
          12 gal Cab sauv

I have 5 gal Port style on the go, a wine No1 a No3 and have plans for various hedgerow fruit wines, with my new juice steamer, and intend to try flower wines this year.

Oh...and I have no plans for any Parsnip involvement

hmmmmmm

now I've typed that out, I see how out of hand this is getting ( I aso have 300 Gallons bulk ageing....EEK)
          N.G.W.B.J.
          Member of 5 Towns Wine and Beer Makers Society (Yorkshire's newest)
          Wine, mead and beer maker

Comment

Oh and there may be Grenache available too

I think i may have to scale down a bit...maybe just a 5 gal batch of each

I'm running out of space....
            N.G.W.B.J.
            Member of 5 Towns Wine and Beer Makers Society (Yorkshire's newest)
            Wine, mead and beer maker

Comment

I've got 2 of the Wine Expert ltd editions on order, 1 in March, 1 in June, Both Red. I may get tempted into getting a white. The Pacific quartet sounds good.

And as much as I can offered or have room for when the grapes come in, depending on what there is available.

Various 1 gallon kits no doubt through the year, when I pop into the HBS. I do seem to like the 1 gallon connoisseur kits. (and they are only £9 at Brewgenie..)

Rich

Comment

Bob I seem to recall you had a pit in your garage

I'm sure you can squeeze some carboys in there. all you'd need would be some sort of winch to prevent the old back being put out

Comment

Originally posted by kerosine View Post
                  Bob I seem to recall you had a pit in your garage

I'm sure you can squeeze some carboys in there. all you'd need would be some sort of winch to prevent the old back being put out
                  Funny you should say that Russ, it was considered at one time
                  Discount Home Brew Supplies
                  Chairman of 5 Towns Wine & Beer Makers Circle!
                  Convenor of Judges YFAWB Show Committee
                  National Wine Judge
                  N.G.W.B.J Member

Comment

As much as i can

Comment

I intend to just stick to the berries and free fruit i pick ,maybe double up on the damson 10 gallon, blackberry 10 gallon,elderberry 10 gallon, raspberry 5 gallon, and possibly have a go at rhubarb maybe another 5 gallon .Greengage 5 gallon,and maybe something unusual the odd gallon here and there O)

Comment

In my opinion the important thing is to figure out how much you are drinking as a family. Lets say 3 750 ml bottles per week. So 28 750 ml bottles per 5 gallon carboy is approx say 2 months of a glass of wine for each supper time meal. We would need 6 - 5 gallon carboys to give us a year of a glass of wine with our supper meal and a little extra for socializing. My suggestion is to start with 3 - 6 good kits or grape, fruit or mead and get them going and ageing. we need at least 6 months to a year for ageing Mead's and reds and 3 months for white wines. If we want to build up a good well aged stock this takes some doing for the first few years but once we have a system going it is easier to replenish a carboy as it is consumed. Cheers Daw

Comment

My target of 1,000 bottles a year seems about right for me, allowing for our consumption, need to increase our stock of mature wine and the limitations of just how much wild fruit we can pick and how many fermenters we can fit in the house.
                          My Brewlist@Jan2011

Comment

This is my current supply i've done the rhubarb before which is very popular having trouble clearing the pear at the moment but the rest are about to be racked, got 1 empty dj for a wine no1, then i'll be stumped until something gets bottled

Comment

Rhubarb port eh? Well I love my port and I have a massive ammount of rhubarb at my allotment. Care to share the recipe sir?
                              David
                              Wine making noob

Comment

Working...
                              X