No announcement yet.

How much wine are you making this year?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

how was the pear processed....hot water by any chance?

pear is notoriously difficult to clear anyway.

if you used hot water at any point in the process get 2 tsp pectolase in there and giver it a gentle stir....

(ooo and top it up )

cheers
    Bob
    N.G.W.B.J.
    Member of 5 Towns Wine and Beer Makers Society (Yorkshire's newest)
    Wine, mead and beer maker

Comment

Originally posted by SpudtheBinx View Post
      Rhubarb port eh? Well I love my port and I have a massive ammount of rhubarb at my allotment. Care to share the recipe sir?
      certainly, it's one of H.E.Bravery's recipes.
      4pound rhubarb, 1pound raisins, 3pound sugar, water,yeast and nutrient need to ferment on the fruit for a week, then strain and finish. i'm not sure it's strictly a port but is much like one and very nice

Comment

Originally posted by lockwood1956 View Post
        how was the pear processed....hot water by any chance?

pear is notoriously difficult to clear anyway.

if you used hot water at any point in the process get 2 tsp pectolase in there and giver it a gentle stir....

(ooo and top it up )

cheers
        Bob
        it was boiled/cooled water but could probably have been cooler (impatience is youth!) i'll try some pectolase - and top er up thanks for the help

Comment

it will likely drop clear with some pectolase, failing that some 2 part fining's (Kwik klear) may do the trick....

what does it taste like?

(BTW ...i'm not youthful, but I'm impatient, although I'm getting better )
          N.G.W.B.J.
          Member of 5 Towns Wine and Beer Makers Society (Yorkshire's newest)
          Wine, mead and beer maker

Comment

Andy -- nice batches and selection going there. I agree with Bob try some degassing and fining's they work unbelievably well. I like the blackberry and apple mead that you have going there. I would try some degassing there and finings and also let age for at least 6 months or longer. You may notice some malolactic fermentation (MLF) begin at a latter time with this because of the high Malic acid content or if you have not added a great deal of sulphite you can try to induce the MLF with an appropriate MLF culture. Cheers Daw; Welcome to the forum -- enjoy your stay.

Comment

it will likely drop clear with some pectolase, failing that some 2 part fining's (Kwik klear) may do the trick....

what does it taste like?
              tastes like alcoholic pear juice!
              a little acidic maybe but drinkable.
              i've tried using kwik klear and not much settled so i'll try pectolase and see what happens, thanks for the advice
              Last edited by lockwood1956; 06-07-2008, 09:56 AM. Reason: to make quote work

Comment

I find that in the clear Mead's and wines that the fining of choice for me is a two part system; the first is bentonite mixed in warm water and stirred into the batch and one hour later sparkoloid mixed according to the instructions on the package. It may also be due to not degassing - this also helps with the clearing and fining. The reason for the two fining system is one is to get the positive charged particles and the other is to get the negative charged particles. Cheers Daw

Comment

but this year will likely be (if the grapes come in)

12 gal Sangiovese
                  12 gal Trebbiano
                  12 Gal nero D'avola
                  12 gal Montepulciano
                  12 gal Cilieguilio
                  12 gal Merlot
                  12 gal Cab sauv
                  Cab Sauv with the skins chucked into a Beaverdale kit for the second run, hmmmmmmm.
                  National Wine Judge NGWBJ

Secretary of 5 Towns Wine and Beer Society

My friends would think I was a nut, turning water into wine....... Lyrics from Solsbury hill by Peter Gabriel

Member of THE newest wine circle in Yorkshire!!

Comment

I'm up to 30 gallons so far so it looks like the original estimate of 50 gallons has gone out of the window!

My friends would think I was a nut, turning water into wine....... Lyrics from Solsbury hill by Peter Gabriel

Comment

Half of the year gone and 40 gallons on the clock, looks like I under estimated a little.

Comment

Originally posted by Richard_S View Post
                        Half of the year gone and 40 gallons on the clock, looks like I under estimated a little.
                        Hell Richard, it sounds like you need to buy yourself an "industry standard alcometer" and then apply for an excise license.

How long will it be before we start seeing "Richard's Country Wines" in the local farm shops

regards

JtFB

p.s. Oh and in my case, I don't plan how much I'm making. It depends on what "takes my fancy" as the ingredients become available/in season
                        Women will never be equal to men until they can walk down the street with a bald head and a beer gut, and still think they are sexy.

Some blog ramblings

Comment

So far this year, I have made approx 30 gallons
                          11, are still under the kitchen table...
                          But I am not quite sure where the other 19 gallons went
                          Insecure people try to make you feel smaller.

Confident people love to see you walk taller

Comment

I've just scared myself! I'm doing an inventory so that I can keep an eye on what needs doing when, and I've counted 100 bottles in storage, and I have a further 32 gallons in varying stages of ferment/ageing...
                            Which works out at about 49gallons of wine so far this year (and that's not counting what's been drunk already, which must be at least another 10 or 15 gallons)
                            ...and I've not even started with the gooseberries, elderberries, sloes or raspberries yet...

Blimey, I think I might have a drink problem...
                            Last edited by Her Lushness; 07-07-2008, 09:49 PM.
                            HRH Her Lushness

Beauty is in the eye of the beer holder.

Comment

6 gallons clearing, 3 fermenting, 7 to start on the weekend.

I feel quite inadequate now
                              Pete the Instructor

It looks like Phil Donahue throwing up into a tuba

Comment

hmmm.

4 1-gallon ones on the go
                                2 3-gallon ones
                                1 5-gallon

15 gallons as we speak.

Eek, not a lot, eh?
                                Virtual Wine Circle & Competition Co-Founder
                                Twitter: VirtualWineO
                                Facebook: Virtual Wine Circle

Comment

Working...