Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Hi! Newbie needing a bit of advice please....

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Lookin' good!
    Virtual Wine Circle & Competition Co-Founder
    Twitter: VirtualWineO
    Facebook: Virtual Wine Circle

Comment

Originally posted by Danina View Post
      Lookin' good!
      Ta!

Off to buy the rest of the stuff from Wilkinsons today.

Can't wait to get started.

Comment

Go girl!
        N.G.W.B.J.
        Member of 5 Towns Wine and Beer Makers Society (Yorkshire's newest)
        Wine, mead and beer maker

Comment

Originally posted by lockwood1956 View Post
          Go girl!
          I went back to Tescos and bought another carton of apple and a dark grape one so I can get two on the go.

May as well use the campden tablets on two dj's instead of just the one.

I rang the local tip today to see if they had any demijohns, think I may as well have been from another planet, he hadn't got a clue what I was talking about!

Doh!

I saw some in Wilkinsons and couldn't believe they were £4.99 each!

Comment

Hi sb44,

I dont know if this is near you but whilst I have been looking out for DJ's round near me on Ebay I saw these,

http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/8-x-1-gallon-d...QQcmdZViewItem

sorry havent fathomed out how to make the clicky link into a shorter version but here you go,

Regards Scott....

p.s. Freecycle is worth a look I would bet money on that you would get a few off there and for free!!!!

http://www.freecycle.org/group/UK/West%20Midlands
            A man cannot make him laugh - but that's no marvel; he drinks no wine.

Comment

Originally posted by sb44 View Post
              I went back to Tescos and bought another carton of apple and a dark grape one so I can get two on the go.

May as well use the campden tablets on two dj's instead of just the one.

I rang the local tip today to see if they had any demijohns, think I may as well have been from another planet, he hadn't got a clue what I was talking about!

Doh!

I saw some in Wilkinsons and couldn't believe they were £4.99 each!

I bought the value apple stuff, cause they didn't have any other apple juice in my Tesco's .... But I cant wait till I have a spare DJ to try another apple juice one.

Have you tried your local charity shops for DJ's ?

I know £4.99 does seem a bit steep for one DJ, but when you consider that you would pay that for one bottle of supermarket wine, and get six out of one DJ, then the cost does seem justified somehow....

Insecure people try to make you feel smaller.

Confident people love to see you walk taller

Comment

I am new at this too. It doesn't seem to matter how many DJs you have, it just isn't enough. Everytime I empty one, I have ideas for 6 more. I hope I live long enough to drink all the wine I dream of making in my "spare" DJ.
                Hootus est

Comment

If you require dj's, get some spring water from Asda or Tesco etc. You can get 1 gallon containers of it for about 79p, use the water to make wine then use the container as a demi. You will need to drill a hole in the lid and fit a grommit so that you can use an airlock with it. I have five of these and have never had any trouble using them as fermenting vessels.
                  National Wine Judge NGWBJ

Secretary of 5 Towns Wine and Beer Society

My friends would think I was a nut, turning water into wine....... Lyrics from Solsbury hill by Peter Gabriel

Member of THE newest wine circle in Yorkshire!!

Comment

Trust a Yorkshireman to find the "cost effective" option
                    N.G.W.B.J.
                    Member of 5 Towns Wine and Beer Makers Society (Yorkshire's newest)
                    Wine, mead and beer maker

Comment

Originally posted by Richard_S View Post
                      If you require dj's, get some spring water from Asda or Tesco etc. You can get 1 gallon containers of it for about 79p, use the water to make wine then use the container as a demi. You will need to drill a hole in the lid and fit a grommit so that you can use an airlock with it. I have five of these and have never had any trouble using them as fermenting vessels.
                      I agree, I have about 10 of these on the go and have never had any problems. Due to lack of glass I put a wine away in a cupboard to age in one of these, meaning to transfer to a 'real' DJ when one was available. Needless to say I forgot all about it. The wine came to no harm at all. I now prefer using these plastic ones as they are not so heavy and are more manageable. (Just do not try degassing using a vacuvin!)
                      Let's party

AKA Brunehilda - Last of the Valkaries

Comment

Originally posted by Mamgiowl View Post
                        I agree, I have about 10 of these on the go and have never had any problems. Due to lack of glass I put a wine away in a cupboard to age in one of these, meaning to transfer to a 'real' DJ when one was available. Needless to say I forgot all about it. The wine came to no harm at all. I now prefer using these plastic ones as they are not so heavy and are more manageable. (Just do not try degassing using a vacuvin!)
                        Now I suddenly don't feel so silly knowing it's been done before, Makes a bit of a mess doesn't it Jan
                        Discount Home Brew Supplies
                        Chairman of 5 Towns Wine & Beer Makers Circle!
                        Convenor of Judges YFAWB Show Committee
                        National Wine Judge
                        N.G.W.B.J Member

Comment

Yep!
                          Let's party

Comment

Originally posted by Richard_S View Post
                            Sorry for being a bit thick but is a grommit the same as a rubber bung?

Don't laugh!

I have a drill set but only standard sized drill bits.

I saw somewhere that someone doesn't use air bubblers with these water containers. He said he drilled a hole, covered it with a couple of layers of waterproof tape and then made either a small cross in the tape or a few pin pricks.

Comment

Originally posted by happymondays View Post
                              Hi sb44,

I dont know if this is near you but whilst I have been looking out for DJ's round near me on Ebay I saw these,

http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/8-x-1-gallon-d...QQcmdZViewItem

sorry havent fathomed out how to make the clicky link into a shorter version but here you go,

Regards Scott....

p.s. Freecycle is worth a look I would bet money on that you would get a few off there and for free!!!!

http://www.freecycle.org/group/UK/West%20Midlands
                              It's a bit too far but thanks as I have only been looking under the home brew section, didn't know there was one for containers and stuff.

I re registered with freecycle yesterday so shall give them a go.

Think I may have to get up extra early on Sunday morning and go to the car boot sale.

Comment

Originally posted by sb44 View Post
                                Sorry for being a bit thick but is a grommit the same as a rubber bung?

Don't laugh!

I have a drill set but only standard sized drill bits.

I saw somewhere that someone doesn't use air bubblers with these water containers. He said he drilled a hole, covered it with a couple of layers of waterproof tape and then made either a small cross in the tape or a few pin pricks.
                                No, a grommit is not a bung. It's a small piece of rubber that fits into the hole you've drilled in the cap. Easily available from you nearest HBS. I'll try to find a picture later.

I really wouldn't go with the tape and pinprick method if I were you.
                                Let's party

Comment

Working...
                                X