Joe's Grape Pyment

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Joe's Grape Pyment

Well I have been waiting for the 5 weeks for this to try it and it is pretty good, sweet honey taste with the flavour of the grape juice coming through and in 5 weeks is not a bad effort. I suppose it could get better with age but you can still quaff it now.

This is Joe's original recipe for 1 Gallon, the Buckwheat can be substituted for any dark honey, 64oz equates to 1.89 litres I used 2L or you could use 3L or more and dilute honey in grape juice rather than water for more grape flavour.

Joe's Recipe in his words:

"Ingredients:

2 lbs Clover honey
    1 oz buckwheat honey
    1/8t Pectin Enzymes (I used but on second thought I probably didn't need since Welch's is already clear)
    64-oz Welch's Grape Juice with Vitamin C added- Make sure it has no preservatives in ingredients other than Vitamin C added (Absorbic Acid)
    Balance water if you need it to make 1 gallon after adding honey mixed in water (don't use too much water in honey mix or you'll end up with more than you bargained for.
    Lalvin EC-1118.

Method:

Just finished bottling my first Grape Mead (Melomel) or Pyment whatever one wishes to call it and it was started on November 4th and is simply wonderful to drink already. It was ready in 5 weeks!
    Thought I would share my recipe with you, as it is the youngest best tasting, quick mead I have had thus far. Too bad
    I only made 1-gallon experimenting.

It will ferment super fast to dry (about 13% alcohol) because of type of yeast and all the nutrients and natural sugars in Welch's grape juice. It should be to SG =1.000 or less in 14- 21 days max.
    Rack to clean carboy over mixture of 6-oz honey, 6-oz Welch's grape juice, 1/2t of Sorbate and 1/2 crushed campden tablet.
    It will stabilize and clear fast. Let it clear and set for another 2 weeks and it will be ready to bottle and drink.
    It will be medium sweet but smooth and drinkable right away. If you want it semi sweet use 4-oz honey instead of 6-oz / gal.
    The only reason I used the Campden (Sulphite) is because my understanding is that using both Potassium Sorbate and Sulphite together will definitely inhibit renewed fermentation and it did for me.
    I went with the sweeter version to please my wife and can't wait till she gets home to try it.
    I got 4 regular bottles and one small bottle and drank the rest. I don't usually like sweet wine but this was the fastest best so far. I'm told that most melomels don't require a lot of aging to be good and if this gets any better with age, I'll probably never buy store bought wine again.
    Color is deep red, has nice legs on sides of glass after swirling, good nose and great balanced taste) Just don't tell everybody you used Welch's. I won't. Because the juice is clear to start, clearing is naturally fast, fast, fast.
    Enjoy cause I am.
    Regards Joe"

There is a Light and a normal Welch's Purple Grape Juice you don't want the Light one,

http://www.welchsjuice.co.uk/products/chilled.html

When I did this one of the supermarkets had a BOGOF cant remember which one though think it was Tesco's.

Regards Scott......

Last edited by happymondays; 21-04-2008, 12:29 AM. Reason: Picture added and added Joes quotes
    A man cannot make him laugh - but that's no marvel; he drinks no wine.

Yay, result!

However, regarding your comment about the pectolase, I don't think it was a misake to use it. Honey can contain pectin as it comes with the pollen from the flowers and there may sometimes be a residue in the honey.
    Let's party

AKA Brunehilda - Last of the Valkaries

Comment

I now add pectolase to everything I make, it doesnt hurt, and I'm always happier that it willclear, but it also aids extraction of colour and flavour.

win win
      N.G.W.B.J.
      Member of 5 Towns Wine and Beer Makers Society (Yorkshire's newest)
      Wine, mead and beer maker

Comment

Yep, that goes for me too.
        Let's party

Comment

Originally posted by lockwood1956 View Post
          I now add pectolase to everything I make, it doesnt hurt, and I'm always happier that it willclear, but it also aids extraction of colour and flavour.

win win
          So you'd do that with EVERYTHING you make irrespective of what the ingredients are Bob ?

regards

JtFB
          Women will never be equal to men until they can walk down the street with a bald head and a beer gut, and still think they are sexy.

Some blog ramblings

Comment

Yes John, if Bob's like me it's everything. It's second nature as far as I'm concerned and is as essential as yeast and nutrients. As Bob says, it does no harm whatsoever and can save a lot of trouble at the end of fermentation.

And if it's roots (Bob's gonna go bananas here ) I add amylase (especially if it's bananas )
            Last edited by Mamgiowl; 06-04-2008, 03:42 PM.
            Let's party

Comment

Its actually all Joe's words I just put the odd explanation here and there, I cheated and copied and pasted the whole recipe

I must admit though I haven't been bothering with the Pectolase but will do from now on

Had a look at my Clover today the one that was cloudy well its near as dam it clear not quite crystal but on its way so a little time has made the difference
              A man cannot make him laugh - but that's no marvel; he drinks no wine.

Comment

Originally posted by fatbloke View Post
                So you'd do that with EVERYTHING you make irrespective of what the ingredients are Bob ?
                Correct (wine and meads)

it's worth it because even if there were no pectins that required treatment, the enzyme breaks down matter in the must much more effectively, and it also helps with the extraction of Phenols (flavour and boquet)
                Last edited by lockwood1956; 06-04-2008, 05:22 PM.
                N.G.W.B.J.

Comment

Originally posted by lockwood1956 View Post
                  Correct (wine and meads)

it's worth it because even if there were no pectins that required treatment, the enzyme breaks down matter in the must much more effectively, and it also helps with the extraction of Phenols (flavour and boquet)
                  Ok, got it!

Looks like I'm stocking up on pectolase next time I go to the local HBS

regards

JtFB

p.s. but it's incidental as I wanted to try Joes Pyment recipe anyway - read about it at gotmead.
                  Women will never be equal to men until they can walk down the street with a bald head and a beer gut, and still think they are sexy.

Some blog ramblings

Comment

I might well get one of these on tomorrow, sounds good!

Comment

Just wondering if anyones tried this? It seems like one of the simplest recipes ever!

Does it suffer from a lack of acidity or does is get that from the honey?

Comment

Acidity comes from the grape juice

regards
                        Bob
                        N.G.W.B.J.

Comment

So, I did one of these and drunk it at a year old and have to say it was cracking.

My recipe for 1 gallon was

1l Red Grape Juice
                          900g (2 jars) Asda Smart Price Honey
                          1 tsp Pectolase
                          Yeast/ nutrient per instructions.
                          Water to 4.5l

It has to be one of the simplest recipes ever and has a really nice flavour...!

Whilst it was unintentionally fizzy, I thought it was cracking and will be making some more very soon!

Be sure to sulphite AND stabilize before bottling to avoid that sneaky honey slowly fermenting in the bottle!

Comment

i am new to the forum but have made several batches of skeeter pee,a caramel apple mead,a apple wine from apple juice,a peach mead from peach puree and now want to try this.I however am planning on modifying slightly the original recipe and would like your input.I am planning on a 5 gallon batch but i start with 6 because i lose some from racking from primary to secondary. here is my modified plan i will start with 10 pounds honey and 320 ounces of juice,(basically taking the honey and juice amounts times 5)will add water to make 6 gallons then add pectic enzyme,yeast nutrient and energizer and take a hydrometer reading (hoping for 12 to 14 percent potential alcohol).Then take a little out for a starter and let it set for a day or so till the starter gets going.I am planning on using cote de blanc yeast does anyone have an opinion on this? Then after adding the yeast starter and whipping some oxygen into it let it ferment out and backsweeten with a honey juice mixture. Basic plan any concerns or advice?

Comment

Originally posted by davemo View Post
                              i am new to the forum but have made several batches of skeeter pee,a caramel apple mead,a apple wine from apple juice,a peach mead from peach puree and now want to try this.I however am planning on modifying slightly the original recipe and would like your input.I am planning on a 5 gallon batch but i start with 6 because i lose some from racking from primary to secondary. here is my modified plan i will start with 10 pounds honey and 320 ounces of juice,(basically taking the honey and juice amounts times 5)will add water to make 6 gallons then add pectic enzyme,yeast nutrient and energizer and take a hydrometer reading (hoping for 12 to 14 percent potential alcohol).Then take a little out for a starter and let it set for a day or so till the starter gets going.I am planning on using cote de blanc yeast does anyone have an opinion on this? Then after adding the yeast starter and whipping some oxygen into it let it ferment out and backsweeten with a honey juice mixture. Basic plan any concerns or advice?
                              As this one comes under the flag of "mead", you will likely find more detail over at gotmead. As with Joes other well known recipe i.e. JAOM, I always suggest that people try and make it exactly as per the recipe for the first attempt (something that will be easier in the US than here, because it's so much easier for you to source the buckwheat honey).

It's much easier to have made one as a benchmark batch, then vary it i.e. different yeasts etc, because that's one of the ingredients that can make the biggest difference.

Equally, I know it's listed as one of the "quick" meads, but as with the JAOM recipe, it's likely to benefit from some aging too. JAOM is drinkable once it's clear and the fruit has dropped, but it's much improved if you can age it for at least 6 months - I suspect it's gonna be the same with this........

Some blog ramblings

Comment

Working...
                              X