Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Joe's Grape Pyment

Blog Entries

Just wondering if anyones tried this? It seems like one of the simplest recipes ever!

Does it suffer from a lack of acidity or does is get that from the honey?

Acidity comes from the grape juice

regards
    Bob
    N.G.W.B.J.
    Member of 5 Towns Wine and Beer Makers Society (Yorkshire's newest)
    Wine, mead and beer maker

Blog Entries

So, I did one of these and drunk it at a year old and have to say it was cracking.

My recipe for 1 gallon was

1l Red Grape Juice
    900g (2 jars) Asda Smart Price Honey
    1 tsp Pectolase
    Yeast/ nutrient per instructions.
    Water to 4.5l

It has to be one of the simplest recipes ever and has a really nice flavour...!

Whilst it was unintentionally fizzy, I thought it was cracking and will be making some more very soon!

Be sure to sulphite AND stabilize before bottling to avoid that sneaky honey slowly fermenting in the bottle!

i am new to the forum but have made several batches of skeeter pee,a caramel apple mead,a apple wine from apple juice,a peach mead from peach puree and now want to try this.I however am planning on modifying slightly the original recipe and would like your input.I am planning on a 5 gallon batch but i start with 6 because i lose some from racking from primary to secondary. here is my modified plan i will start with 10 pounds honey and 320 ounces of juice,(basically taking the honey and juice amounts times 5)will add water to make 6 gallons then add pectic enzyme,yeast nutrient and energizer and take a hydrometer reading (hoping for 12 to 14 percent potential alcohol).Then take a little out for a starter and let it set for a day or so till the starter gets going.I am planning on using cote de blanc yeast does anyone have an opinion on this? Then after adding the yeast starter and whipping some oxygen into it let it ferment out and backsweeten with a honey juice mixture. Basic plan any concerns or advice?

Blog Entries

Cool

Quote Originally Posted by davemo View Post
    i am new to the forum but have made several batches of skeeter pee,a caramel apple mead,a apple wine from apple juice,a peach mead from peach puree and now want to try this.I however am planning on modifying slightly the original recipe and would like your input.I am planning on a 5 gallon batch but i start with 6 because i lose some from racking from primary to secondary. here is my modified plan i will start with 10 pounds honey and 320 ounces of juice,(basically taking the honey and juice amounts times 5)will add water to make 6 gallons then add pectic enzyme,yeast nutrient and energizer and take a hydrometer reading (hoping for 12 to 14 percent potential alcohol).Then take a little out for a starter and let it set for a day or so till the starter gets going.I am planning on using cote de blanc yeast does anyone have an opinion on this? Then after adding the yeast starter and whipping some oxygen into it let it ferment out and backsweeten with a honey juice mixture. Basic plan any concerns or advice?
    As this one comes under the flag of "mead", you will likely find more detail over at gotmead. As with Joes other well known recipe i.e. JAOM, I always suggest that people try and make it exactly as per the recipe for the first attempt (something that will be easier in the US than here, because it's so much easier for you to source the buckwheat honey).

It's much easier to have made one as a benchmark batch, then vary it i.e. different yeasts etc, because that's one of the ingredients that can make the biggest difference.

Equally, I know it's listed as one of the "quick" meads, but as with the JAOM recipe, it's likely to benefit from some aging too. JAOM is drinkable once it's clear and the fruit has dropped, but it's much improved if you can age it for at least 6 months - I suspect it's gonna be the same with this........
    Women will never be equal to men until they can walk down the street with a bald head and a beer gut, and still think they are sexy.

Some blog ramblings

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12