Rumtoft

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Rumtoft

Last edited by stackmonkey; 05-04-2012, 11:11 AM.

also, try adding 1 or 2 cloves and a bit of ginger. yummy
    Virtual Wine Circle & Competition Co-Founder
    Twitter: VirtualWineO
    Facebook: Virtual Wine Circle

Comment

...and another recipe that I just googled, and is pretty much how I do mine;

The ingredients:
      1. fresh fruit
      2. sugar
      3. rum (or brandy)
      It is traditional to begin with the first fruit of the season
      (typically strawberries) but in an age when fresh fruit is easily
      imported and available all year in our supermarkets, you can
      begin with your favorite fresh fruit, as long as it is ripe (not over
      ripe) and full of flavor.

Ideal fruits are:
      Pineapple (remove rind & core and cut in large cubes)
      Cherries (any variety, pitted)
      Apricots (halves, pitted)
      Nectarines (halves, pitted)
      Peaches (remove pits and cut in halves, quarters, or slices)
      Pears (cored, peeled & sliced)
      Plums (remove seed and half or quarter)
      Grapes (sweet seedless red or green grapes are ideal)
      Strawberries (don't wash, just remove stem & leaves). Strawberries will lose their red color.
      Raspberries (don't wash). Raspberries will lose some of their red color.
      Red currants (removed from stem)

Other less ideal fruits, may be added if you wish:
      Blackberries or Blueberries (can be bitter and can discolor the other fruits)
      Watermelon and Cantaloupe chunks (can make the mixture a bit watery)
      Rhubarb (can make mixture sour)
      Bananas (too mushy)
      Citrus (too acidic)

Directions:
      Wash and dry the inside of the Rumtopf.
      Wash and dry the first chosen fruit. (Don't wash Strawberries and Raspberries.)
      Remove any stems, seed and pits.
      In a separate bowl cover the fruit with an equal weight of granulated sugar and allow to sit for
      one hour.
      (example: 3 pounds of fruit and 3 pounds of sugar)
      Place the fruit, sugar and any juices left in the bowl into the Rumtopf.
      Pour in just enough rum or brandy to cover the fruit.
      Weigh the fruit down with a clean saucer or plate
      Cover the opening of the Rumtopf with plastic (to avoid evaporation) and place the lid firmly on top.
      Store in a cool place away from heat and sunlight.

Adding additional layers of fruit:
      For each additional layer of fruit follow the instructions above, but use only half as much sugar.
      (Example: 3 pounds of fruit and 1 1/2 pounds of sugar.)
      After the fruit and sugar has rested for one hour, gently add this mixture onto the earlier layer.
      Do not mix the fruits.
      Add more rum or brandy to cover the new layer.
      Cover with fresh Saran or plastic wrap and the lid.
      HRH Her Lushness

Beauty is in the eye of the beer holder.

Comment

If you can find it, use a stronger than usual rum initially(50% is ideal), or mix the 40% stuff with some Austrian Stroh Rum (80%) to bring the % up, because the fruit will take the alcohol level down and that can sometimes backfire.

In a pinch, some strong Poteen (80%) will be useful here instead to bring your rum up to potency, when the Rumtopf is ready to be enjoyed you no longer will taste it and the rum will have asserted itself.

I found that I can buy either brand of alcohol online in the UK.

After the initial step, you can just use regular 40% rum to top up.

Nepenthes

Comment

Originally posted by Her Lushness View Post
          It is traditional to begin with the first fruit of the season
          (typically strawberries) but in an age when fresh fruit is easily
          imported and available all year in our supermarkets, you can
          begin with your favorite fresh fruit, as long as it is ripe (not over
          ripe) and full of flavor.
          lovers of the seasonal tradition could perhaps do a foraged fruit version ... bit limited in choice perhaps, if so throw in some PYO farm fruit.

btw, i keep looking but i dont see parsnips on anyone's rumpot list
          To most people solutions mean answers. To chemists solutions are things that are mixed up.
          A fine wine is a fine wine, 1st time may be by accident, 2nd time is by design - that's why you keep notes.

Comment

That's because everyone is making wine with them
            Last edited by wisp; 17-03-2010, 01:10 AM.
            “Time flies like an arrow. Fruit flies like a banana!”
            Groucho Marx

Comment

Rumtopf is a perfect addition to your garden....

If you have, let's say a bumper-crop of 5 strawberries ( ) and don't want to freeze them, it's a perfect addition to your rumtopf. This is basically how this concoction started. It's what you've got ripe, a bit overly ripe, or in excess of.

I add a handful of every fruit I harvest mindlessly most times to my Rumtopf. I add about a cup and a half of sugar to every bottle of rum I add. I do it slowly, adding 1 liter of rum everytime the fruit starts getting to be too much. I do use a bit less sugar, which lets the fruitiness come through.

If I harvest, for example, 5 gooseberries one day, I add them to the Rumtopf. If I have, 1/2 kilo of gooseberries, I freeze them for wine! I alway add a bit of apple whenever I have them, I add mostly berries and some hard fruit like pears, apples. Soft fruit includes plums, cherries, berries of all sorts, even elderberries (more for colour), and rhubarb. I've also added some non-traditional fruit (not in accordance to German "traditions") like kiwis and starfruit.... Plums make rubbish wine. Add them to a Rumtopf, and you'll love them.

When you're making your Rumtopf, remember to (very loosely) remember to add equal parts of berries,soft fruit - like plums. You can add as many hard fruit varieties as you'd like. I've never tried pineapple. Not sure if it would be good. I like the "fruits of the forest" kind of rumtopf, and so does everyone else that I've given mine to.

Furthermore, if you don't have a garden, look for bruised fruit in your supermarket. It' perfectly fine for Rumtopf. Windfall apples are really the best, though.

The question of using white or brown rum: I'd use white, but it totally doesn't matter. After a year in the pot, it'll all look brown anyway. I think the colour of the fruit is just slightly better by using white rum.

Things to stay away from: bananas, anything mushy (like the consistency of bananas)....

It's excellent on vanilla ice cream, especially around the holidays, that's when it's also nice to put the stuff in glass jars, put a nice label on it and give them as "straight from M's kitchen" gifts...

Bob has a genuine Rumtopf, but still hasn't started to use it... For which I'm quite disappointed.
              Last edited by medpretzel; 13-05-2010, 05:33 PM.
              Virtual Wine Circle & Competition Co-Founder
              Twitter: VirtualWineO
              Facebook: Virtual Wine Circle

Comment

Damn. Mrs. G has just seen this post. That's another project for me
                Pete the Instructor

It looks like Phil Donahue throwing up into a tuba

Comment

How long does one of these need to age? Would I be able to start one now and have it.... eatable (?) for Christmas?

These look like an excellent idea for Christmas presents for pretty much everyone I know. And I tend to order Stroh 80 for my father from Austria, so I could get a bottle for myself an use it for making the Rumtopf.

Make up 5 or 6 in largeish kilner jars, dose with fruit and rum and give at christmas!

PS. I'm starting to love Germans at Christmas:

Wiener Feuerzangenbowle

Hmmm. maybe if you use Stroh 80 you need to include a fire extinguisher!
                  Dutch Gunderson: Who are you and how did you get in here?
                  Frank Drebin: I'm a locksmith. And, I'm a locksmith.
                  -Police Squad

Comment

Originally posted by koomber View Post
                    PS. I'm starting to love Germans at Christmas:
                    me too
                    N.G.W.B.J.
                    Member of 5 Towns Wine and Beer Makers Society (Yorkshire's newest)
                    Wine, mead and beer maker

Comment

Working...
                    X