4.5 Lbs Briess DME Dark
    1.7 Oz Liberty 5.5 ABU
    .25 Oz Liberty 5.5 ABU
    .25 Oz Liberty 5.5 ABU
    .25 oz Liberty 5.5 ABu
    1TSP Irish Moss
    3/4 cup corn sugar to prime or 1 cup Dark DME
    Method
    Warm Strike water to 170 F. Put Cracked grains in a muslin bag. place in a 3 gal food grade plastic pail that has a tight fitting lid.Pour strike water over grains stir grains to make sure the are no dry clumps.Place lid on bucket and cover with a couple towels leave for 45 min. Don't peek. Warm sparge water to 165 F pour over grain and allow sweet wert to gather in bucket. Measure wert pour into kettle make up 4.4 gals from grain tea and water. Bring to boil add DME star timing your boil make first hop addition boil for 45 min. take off heat add Muntons light extract stir in and put back on heat when boil starts add second hop addition and Irish moss. 1 min before end of boil add third hop addition, drop in 4th hop addition when the heat is just turned off Cool wert to 80 F pour into fermenter add water to fermenter and come to a OG of 1.040 to 1.045. Pitch White Labs WLP002 English Ale Fermentation at 70 F Yeast. Allow Krausen to rise and fall. Rack off trub put under air locked carboy for three weeks at 60F. Prime with 3/4 cup corn sugar or I like 1 cup Dark Dme in two cups water boil for 15 min. rack ale into a open fermenter add priming liquid while racking over let sit and start to work for 3/4 hour. Bottle and keep at 70 F for one week move to a cooler place at 50 F for three weeks to one month open and enjoy. Makes around 42 500 ml bottles depending on the beer gods mood.
    Last edited by rjb222; 08-04-2008, 11:01 PM.
    http://www.winensuds.com/ Gotta love this hobby

Just a quick up date. I racked this morning and found to my dismay my yeast population was not preforming up to par. So I took some of the yeast bed with the porter and added 1/2 tsp yeast nutrient to the beer. I did this while racking so as to let the nutrient mix into solution. My thoughts are this I had repiched a good yeast off the clean bed but the bed also was small as my last beer I made was a brown ale and I did not utilize a hop bag the trub of the secondary was also very dirty. I realized this about two weeks into secondary so I racked again and was lucky enough to get a small bed and used that. What should I have done? I should have taken the small bed and started it in a light unhopped wert made about a liter and then piched at high krausen. Any thoughts would be apreciated I just hope that the flavor is going to be ok I checked a short time ago and the krausen is starting again maybe I will get lucky.

Comment

Originally posted by rjb222 View Post
      Just a quick up date. I racked this morning and found to my dismay my yeast population was not preforming up to par. So I took some of the yeast bed with the porter and added 1/2 tsp yeast nutrient to the beer. I did this while racking so as to let the nutrient mix into solution. My thoughts are this I had repiched a good yeast off the clean bed but the bed also was small as my last beer I made was a brown ale and I did not utilize a hop bag the trub of the secondary was also very dirty. I realized this about two weeks into secondary so I racked again and was lucky enough to get a small bed and used that. What should I have done? I should have taken the small bed and started it in a light unhopped wert made about a liter and then piched at high krausen. Any thoughts would be apreciated I just hope that the flavor is going to be ok I checked a short time ago and the krausen is starting again maybe I will get lucky.
      Just a small update after work I checked and the Krausen is back and the air lock is merrily clicking away hopfully there will be no ill effects. When I racked this morning the sg was 1.022 the original sg was 1.044 I thought the beer had done it's fermenting as the krausen fell it is why I racked

Comment

Originally posted by rjb222 View Post
        Just a small update after work I checked and the Krausen is back and the air lock is merrily clicking away hopfully there will be no ill effects. When I racked this morning the sg was 1.022 the original sg was 1.044 I thought the beer had done it's fermenting as the krausen fell it is why I racked
        I just checked the new krausen finely fell there is less than one bubble per minute comming through the air lock. I am moving the porter to my cold room and will bottle in a couple of weeks. I will be interested to see if the yeast was strained enough to change and If it was where these are going to be good or bad.

Comment

Results

I bottled the Skeena Porter.This brew shows true porter characteristics smooth, chewy and flavorful.I made up a priming brew of 2 cups water 1 cup DME boiled for 15 min. added that while racking left this to sit for 20 min then bottled. Wound up with 28 500 ml and as I ran out of 500's I filled 19 more 355 ml cap bottles I also reserved 500 ml for a taste test I carbonated this with a table top carbonation machine. This machine only does one liter at a time and uses only specialized must use containers but does do a good job at single use. Here is a j peg of the final brew.Cheers
          Attached Files
          Last edited by rjb222; 13-05-2008, 03:28 PM. Reason: Incomplete

Comment

I opened a couple of these last evening with a friend whom before tasting was a confirmed **** water drinker. This was my first sample of the bottled Porter. The results are outstanding. This beer has a excellent head and retains it for a long time my friend asked me to teach him how to brew beer and seems willing to give up on **** water.

Comment

Working...
            X