Raspberry Vodka

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Raspberry Vodka

This is my first post, so please be nice to me!

I've just filtered off a batch of raspberry vodka which is absolutely divine!
    It's nice neat with a load of ice, or just as good with ice and some tonic (or lemonade?)

I put 1 litre of vodka into an empty 2litre plastic bottle (you know the sort) along with as many raspberries as I could sensibly fit in, along with half their weight in suger, ie 1LB raspberries = 1/2LB sugar.
    Shake this mix as often as you can remember to and put into a warmish place (ideal in the airing cupboard - assuming there's room amongst the demijohns) and leave alone and untasted if you can (I must admit that I had a few sneaky samples) for approx 3 months, then strain off and "keep" for as long as you humanly can without guzzling the lot in 2 nights flat... (I bet you can't guess who only has about a quarter of a bottle left?! )

Either way, this is a recipe that I am sure would work very well with any fruit, and I currently have some strawberry vodka on the go...

Over, hic and out,
    Her Lushness.
    HRH Her Lushness

Beauty is in the eye of the beer holder.

Sounds, er... lush!

Welcome to the forum BTW
    Let's party

AKA Brunehilda - Last of the Valkaries

Comment

Not sure that you'd get the same effect with strawbs, because they generally have a milder, less aggressive taste (not sure if it's a "more sugar, less acid" thing).

I wouldn't mind betting that blackcurrants would turn out well though.

What the hell, just do a proper "rumtoft", with one of those fancy china jars. Seen 'em in the Brouwland catalogue. Smart. Plus once you've made it and it's had time to mash, the fruit/sugar/rum taste'd be magic over icecream or something like that

Oh and welcome.

regards

JtFB
      Women will never be equal to men until they can walk down the street with a bald head and a beer gut, and still think they are sexy.

Some blog ramblings

Comment

Sounds lovely. Might have to try that.

Hmmmmm... that reminds me... Anyone remember what I did with the sloe gin I made at the end of last year
        I do believe it is still in the big kitchen cupboard
        I must "sample" that again
        Insecure people try to make you feel smaller.

Confident people love to see you walk taller

Comment

That's a good idea, and very timely. We put some raspberry canes in last November and are looking forward to free fruit this year. My wife absolutely loves that Framboise stuff and I've been trying to work out how to make it. The only recipe I've found so far calls for Raspberries, sugar and "eau de vie" which I take to mean "booze" I was thinking vodka would be a good bet, so I'm glad to hear that it is!

It works well with rhubarb as well, I have two litres in my cupboard which I'm trying to ignore. If you use the forced stems you get a wonderful pink colour to the liqueur, but it tastes just as good with the green stems.

Originally posted by spritzer View Post
          Hmmmmm... that reminds me... Anyone remember what I did with the sloe gin I made at the end of last year
          We polished off one of our bottles of the stuff at the weekend, it was very good.

We had an experiment when we made it last year with how much sugar we used. My wife liked the sweeter sloe gin, but I preferred it slightly tarter - it's fruitier that way.

Comment

Originally posted by fatbloke View Post
            Not sure that you'd get the same effect with strawbs, because they generally have a milder, less aggressive taste (not sure if it's a "more sugar, less acid" thing).

I wouldn't mind betting that blackcurrants would turn out well though.

What the hell, just do a proper "rumtoft", with one of those fancy china jars. Seen 'em in the Brouwland catalogue. Smart. Plus once you've made it and it's had time to mash, the fruit/sugar/rum taste'd be magic over icecream or something like that

Oh and welcome.

regards

JtFB
            Thanks for the welcome I've already got a Rumtopf going as well; I keep on catching him indoors with a straw sampling it...
            I'm trying a strawberry vodka at the moment, so I will report back as to how it goes, but yes, I can't wait for the blackcurrants to be ready to try a blackcurrant Vodka, coz they have to be my favourite fruit. I stopped off at the local Pick Yer Own place earlier today to be told that they have redcurrants and blackcurrants along with loads of other stuff I want, so my long suffering other half and I (and hopefully his 2 nephews who are still young enough to bribe) will be spending weekends picking in a few months time!
            I know it's a bit premature, but I want to get hold of some nice clear 1/4 pint bottles and do a set of fruity vodkas, sloe gin/vodka etc with fancy labels for friends for Xmas this year, and then pack them up in a fancy basket or something.
            Okay, off to the park now with the dogs to check the Elderflowers!
            HRH Her Lushness

Comment

Originally posted by benarnold View Post
              -----%<-----
              "eau de vie"
              -----%<-----
              It's my understanding that eau de vie is what will eventually become calvados i.e. it's distilled cider, but hasn't been aged for at least 2 years in oak.

So normally it's clear.

Oh and the rhubarb thing sounds excellent. Maybe you could post your recipe, or is it basically the same as "HL" said but with rhubarb instead of raspberries ?

regards

JtFB
              Women will never be equal to men until they can walk down the street with a bald head and a beer gut, and still think they are sexy.

Some blog ramblings

Comment

Have two quick questions here,

1, what did you do with the raspberries

2, has anyone got the recipe for a rumptoft.
                sigpic

Comment

It's my understanding that eau de vie is what will eventually become calvados i.e. it's distilled cider, but hasn't been aged for at least 2 years in oak.
                  Thanks John, that's interesting. I wonder what a calvados based raspberry liqueur would taste like. I've never tried calvados so I can't imagine, is it a similar taste to brandy?

Oh and the rhubarb thing sounds excellent. Maybe you could post your recipe, or is it basically the same as "HL" said but with rhubarb instead of raspberries ?
                  Yes, it's pretty much identical to HL's raspberry vodka, just with rhubarb. I use enough rhubarb so that there's not much vodka below the level of the rhubarb in the jar (as the rhubarb floats), if that makes sense.

I did see a recipe once that used 600g Rhubarb, 300g sugar to a litre vodka.

Originally posted by biggles
                  what did you do with the raspberries
                  Do you mean after straining them out of the vodka? I reckon raspberry fool type dessert would be tasty when done with vodka'd up berries.

Comment

Originally posted by Biggles View Post
                    Have two quick questions here,

1, what did you do with the raspberries

2, has anyone got the recipe for a rumptoft.
                    I got an empty 2 litre plastic drinks bottle, put in a litre of vodka, and then as many raspberries as I could manage to fit in. (probably about 3 supermarket size punnet things) After calculating what the weight of raspberries was, I then added half the weight of sugar, ie 1lb fruit = 1/2 lb sugar, put the lid on, gave it all a good shake, and put it into the airing cupboard.
                    I gave it a good shake daily for about the first 4 weeks, and then whenever I remembered, but it stayed in the airing cupboard for about 3 months, when I strained it into a glass bottle, and proceeded to get drunk on it coz it tasted so scrummy.

And a recipe for a Rumpot/Rumtopf etc is at this link (I hope!)http://www.winesathome.co.uk/forum/s...4351#post34351
                    HRH Her Lushness

Comment

I think that I will have a go at this, nice simple method but the waiting bit will be agony. Has anyone done a parsnip vodka yet?
                      National Wine Judge NGWBJ

Secretary of 5 Towns Wine and Beer Society

My friends would think I was a nut, turning water into wine....... Lyrics from Solsbury hill by Peter Gabriel

Member of THE newest wine circle in Yorkshire!!

Comment

Originally posted by Richard_S View Post
                        Has anyone done a parsnip vodka yet?

Phleeeeergh!
                        N.G.W.B.J.
                        Member of 5 Towns Wine and Beer Makers Society (Yorkshire's newest)
                        Wine, mead and beer maker

Comment

For once I agree with you, Bob. Phleeeeergh indeed.
                          Let's party

AKA Brunehilda - Last of the Valkaries

Comment

You don't HAVE to wait 3 months, I must admit that I felt the need to "test" it every so often, for scientific reasons of course...
                            HRH Her Lushness

Comment

I am thinking of putting all my blackberries toward a very similar concoction this year. I even had 2 friends swear to me that it cured the flu this past winter ! How funny is that ?

REBEL MODERATOR

...lay down the boogie and play that funky music 'til ya die...'til ya die !"

Comment

Working...
                              X