Raspberry Vodka

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Hippie View Post
    I am thinking of putting all my blackberries toward a very similar concoction this year. I even had 2 friends swear to me that it cured the flu this past winter ! How funny is that ?

I also did a blackberry vodka, and so far I am not overly impressed, in spite of it sitting around for 3 months. It might be the quality of the berries I used, but it doesn't seem to have taken on the flavour anywhere near as well as the raspberry one.
    Just a word of warning from me to not run the risk of potentially wasting your blackberries...

(Do you have a recipe you'd care to share, as I'd happily experiment again as there seem to be LOADS of wild bushes around where I live now)
    HRH Her Lushness

Beauty is in the eye of the beer holder.

Comment

Warning ?

I have been making my blackberry liqueur for a few years now and have never been disappointed. I use equal parts berries, sugar, and vodka, and leave it for a full year, shaking daily until the sugar is fully dissolved, and then turning over weekly. (quart jars) I then strain through successively tighter layers of cloth and eventually coffee filters. When satisfied, (never as clear as my wine) I bottle in used 187 ml bottles with screwcaps.

REBEL MODERATOR

...lay down the boogie and play that funky music 'til ya die...'til ya die !"

Comment

Originally posted by Hippie View Post
        Warning ?

I have been making my blackberry liqueur for a few years now and have never been disappointed. I use equal parts berries, sugar, and vodka, and leave it for a full year, shaking daily until the sugar is fully dissolved, and then turning over weekly. (quart jars) I then strain through successively tighter layers of cloth and eventually coffee filters. When satisfied, (never as clear as my wine) I bottle in used 187 ml bottles with screwcaps.

YIKES!!!! A whole year to wait, oh my god!!!!!
        Funnily enough I tried some of the blackberry vodka last night, and it's certainly improving, so I think I'll add some fresh fruit when I can pick some and leave it another 6 months or so and see where we go with it - I think the problem may have been with the original fruit that I used.
        I'm not the most patient of people, so I'm finding wine making to be a hobby that's teaching me a lot more besides how to make wine!
        HRH Her Lushness

Beauty is in the eye of the beer holder.

Comment

i have made raspberry brandy and its very very good

Comment

Care to shre the recipe dude?

regards
            Bob
            N.G.W.B.J.
            Member of 5 Towns Wine and Beer Makers Society (Yorkshire's newest)
            Wine, mead and beer maker

Comment

put 1 bottle brandy into a 1litre bottle add 8oz sugar
              and put as many raspberrys in that will fit
              shake till all sugar has disolved
              leave for at least 1 month
              shake when you can

Comment

thank you for sharing

regards
                Bob
                N.G.W.B.J.
                Member of 5 Towns Wine and Beer Makers Society (Yorkshire's newest)
                Wine, mead and beer maker

Comment

I always use the ripest fruit. I turn the jars once weekly so that the fruit that floats to the top does not stay there long enough to oxidise. It will eventually all sink. You must fill the jars to the very top, even if some spills down the side. You then wipe the top edge of glass as clean as possible before putting on clean new caps, and tighten bands down as hard as you can. I even try to retighten now and then when I am turning jars.

REBEL MODERATOR

...lay down the boogie and play that funky music 'til ya die...'til ya die !"

Comment

I do a blueberry vodka and a blueberry gin, each year. I layer the berries and sugar to fill two thirds of a jar, then top up with the spirit to the very edge. Sugar top and bottom layers..

Gently agitate daily for the first few days, then leave for about six months. Now strain the mixture, bottle the liquid part. Then try the berries with a good quality vanilla ice cream.

The gin strangely enough keeps the essential quality's of a good gin, but gains a slight sweetness and a tart blueberry edge. My wife enjoys this over Xmas, but won't touch Gin.

Comment

Did it make upto 2 litres?

Lisa

Comment

Working...
                      X