This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Using a Harris filter

There are quite a few new winemakers using the forum and by reading the posts you write I get the feeling you are already making great wines.

If you are getting bitten by the bug and are considering buying more equipment, why not consider a cheap filter? Your wine may look clear but running it through a filter will give your wine a brilliant polished look that you will be proud of. If you are thinking of entering wine into a competition then filtering is a must.

A Harris Vinbrite filter kit will cost between £15 - £17 and a pack of 6 crystalbrite filter pads is included. The filter pads usually cost £4.50ish for 6.

Before you start filtering, the wine must be clear of all sediment and racked to a clean container. The pads are very fine and attempting to filter wine with sediment in will be very problamatic.

In the pictures you will see one wine number 1 and two wine number 2s. On the left is a blueberry that is very clear, in the middle is an apple wine number 1 that is hazey and on the right is a cranberry that is no way ready to filter. The cranberry has been put to one side for another day, the other two will be filtered and bottled.
    Attached Files
    National Wine Judge NGWBJ

Secretary of 5 Towns Wine and Beer Society

My friends would think I was a nut, turning water into wine....... Lyrics from Solsbury hill by Peter Gabriel

Member of THE newest wine circle in Yorkshire!!

First thing is to sanitise all the components of the filter as you would with your other equipment. The filter pads do not require sanitising.

The filter is then assembled. A pad is placed into the filter body, the support disc follows and then the locking ring screws in.
    Attached Files

My friends would think I was a nut, turning water into wine....... Lyrics from Solsbury hill by Peter Gabriel

Comment

Next, you run some water onto the filter pad and let it run through the filter. This allows the pad to swell and removes any loose fibres from the filter. Empty the water out and fit the funnel and vent tube and you are ready to go.
      Attached Files

Comment

This filter uses gravity as a power source, so as with racking the full dj needs to be above the recieving dj.

Ensure that the tap on the vent tube is turned OFF before you start filtering and place the filter onto the clean dj.

The siphon tube that comes with the filter has a very handy ratchet clip that allows you to control/stop the flow of wine to the filter. Stick the other end of the tube into your wine and start sucking! Keep your eye on the wine comming down the tube and use the ratchet clip to stop the flow before you drink it all.

Connect the tube to the filter and release the ratchet clip and you are in business.

Remember that tap on the vent tube? It's now time to open it and leave it open untill you see wine enter the vent tube, then close the tap. Doing this clears airlocks from the filter.
        Attached Files
        Last edited by Richard S; 27-05-2008, 04:00 PM.

Comment

When the last of the wine has gone from the original dj, allow the syphon tube to empty then remove the tube from the filter body.

Open the vent tube and allow the filter to completely empty. Once empty remove and discard the filter pad and clean all parts of the filter before putting it away.
          Attached Files

Comment

Last few pics. I stopped the white half way through to compare before and after. The wines are now ready to bottle so...........

If you have any questions or comments, please follow the link.

Attached Files
            Last edited by Richard S; 27-05-2008, 03:58 PM.

Comment

Working...
            X