Questions and comments re the Harris filter

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Questions and comments re the Harris filter

If you have any questions or comments regarding the Harris tutorial, ask away.
    National Wine Judge NGWBJ

Secretary of 5 Towns Wine and Beer Society

My friends would think I was a nut, turning water into wine....... Lyrics from Solsbury hill by Peter Gabriel

Member of THE newest wine circle in Yorkshire!!

Just one Richard Why suck the hose to start the siphon why not back fill and get the siphon going that way? I know there are a lot of people that do the sipon that way but in my mind the human mouth is not sanitary and when one goes to the work of sanitizing everything then sucks the siphon to start you have comprimized the sanitary status of the equipment. Just asking.
    http://www.winensuds.com/ Gotta love this hobby

Comment

I suppose getting a mouth full of wine at this stage gives an indication of things to come (quality testing bit ). I suppose there is a slight risk of infection doing this but the sulphite content should sort that out.
      National Wine Judge NGWBJ

Secretary of 5 Towns Wine and Beer Society

My friends would think I was a nut, turning water into wine....... Lyrics from Solsbury hill by Peter Gabriel

Member of THE newest wine circle in Yorkshire!!

Comment

Comming from a beer brewing back round where sanization is something that needs to be taken more seriously than in wine making due to the lower alcohol and the lower ph this is a easy way to get an infection. I might be a bit anal but I would seek other methods of starting the siphon. I will dig you up a link when I get to work for a billows pump to start your siphon with. As far as tasting goes it is a dirty job but somebody has to do it .lol

Comment

Some people stick a straw into the hose and suck on that. Should be much less chance of infection, but more chance of a mess if you have trouble pulling the straw out.

Steve
          the procrastinating wine maker in the Niagara Region of Ontario Canada
          "why do today what you can put off till next week"

Comment

Here is a link to a brewing supply in Whales I believe. Unfortunately I have been unsuccessful at finding a link that includes a picture for reference even Buon Vino does not list this handy item on their page online but show it in their catalogue.These folks do list it though and it looks reasonably priced as well. http://www.homebrewwales.co.uk/

Comment

I have one of these and, for the money, it's brilliant.

Mine doesn't have clever flow stopping gadgets though, but I think my way of "priming" it takes away the infection risk.

Put long tube in wine, a clean finger over bottle end of filter and suck through the short tube. Now release flow into new DJ and close tap on the short tube.

No wine comes into contact with any saliva residues on the short tube, but if you're really obsessed a quick wipe will relieve your mind.
              Let's party

AKA Brunehilda - Last of the Valkaries

Comment

There is another way as well I am currently researching.It involves a cap and a filter attachment for the top of a demijohn you blow into a tube through a filter and this gets the siphon to start.

Comment

I've hooked mine up to an aquarium pump to make it easier. But if it's too cloudy, it's too cloudy.
                  Virtual Wine Circle & Competition Co-Founder
                  Twitter: VirtualWineO
                  Facebook: Virtual Wine Circle

Comment

Just used a harris filter for the first time took a little bit of getting used to but the quality afterwards is second to none It is well worth it i got mine free from Duff but he got it from a second hand shop for 75 pence not bad i used it before i saw your post so i made a bit of a mess the first time thought the filter was empty at the end opened it up and guess what it still had a fair amount of wine in it won't do that trick again all over the worktop mind you the kitchen did have a nice aroma of strawberry when i had finished

Comment

Yeah, you do have to leave it to drain for a bit. I shake mine to see if it's empty.

I agree with you though - it does do a brilliant job.
                      Let's party

AKA Brunehilda - Last of the Valkaries

Comment

I cant believe I have only just bought one of these
                        Must have been having a blonde few months not to have bought one / used one before

It brilliant.... a bit slow... but it does do a fantastic job.

Good tutorial as well

Carole
                        Insecure people try to make you feel smaller.

Confident people love to see you walk taller

Comment

I use a Harris filter for kit wines, the wine is lovely and clear after using it but I worry about oxidation caused by the wine running out of the filter and splashing into the receiving bucket. Am I right to be concerned, or is this not a problem in winemaking? The design of the filter outlet doesn't lend itself to attaching a piece of pipe, which was my first thought.

The finished wines have tasted great so far, but as I'm more used to making beer where oxidation is a definite concern, it does worry me.

...or do I worry too much?

Comment

Nothing to worry about, the splashing aids de-gassing, it is prolonged exposure that causes oxidation in wine.
                            Discount Home Brew Supplies
                            Chairman of 5 Towns Wine & Beer Makers Circle!
                            Convenor of Judges YFAWB Show Committee
                            National Wine Judge
                            N.G.W.B.J Member

Comment

Originally posted by Duffbeer View Post
                              Nothing to worry about, the splashing aids de-gassing, it is prolonged exposure that causes oxidation in wine.
                              Thanks for that, that's just what I needed to know.

Although it's a simple device, it does the job perfectly.

Comment

Working...
                              X