No announcement yet.

Questions and comments re the Harris filter

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

This may be a silly question but........Do you filter before or after you have sweetened to taste? Or does it make no difference?
    Cad Drawings: www.draughting-solutions.com

Comment

Originally posted by brewbie View Post
      This may be a silly question but........Do you filter before or after you have sweetened to taste? Or does it make no difference?
      It makes no difference, although an unsweetened wine will filter a little quicker as the liquid would be thinner.
      Discount Home Brew Supplies
      Chairman of 5 Towns Wine & Beer Makers Circle!
      Convenor of Judges YFAWB Show Committee
      National Wine Judge
      N.G.W.B.J Member

Comment

On the other hand I filter as the very last thing I do before ageing or bottling, as that negates the necessity of doing it again should anything silly happen like a re-ferment. Should add that I like my wines a tad sweet.
        Let's party

AKA Brunehilda - Last of the Valkaries

Comment

I also filter as the last action before bottling
          N.G.W.B.J.
          Member of 5 Towns Wine and Beer Makers Society (Yorkshire's newest)
          Wine, mead and beer maker

Comment

Thanks guys.....I have just ordered my filter after reading this, thanks for a great tutorial
            Cad Drawings: www.draughting-solutions.com

Comment

I've just done the most stupid thing, I got out my Harris filter and forgot to use it, I bottled my red wine straight into the bottles all five gallons of it. I had red and white to bottle tonight but only remembered as I was about to bottle the white, the difference the filter made to the white was really noticeable if I could improve the red as much I would pull the red wine corks and start again. Should I do that or just leave it, I have about seven weeks left to my daughters wedding and this is the wine for it. I just cant believe I've done it as this wine is so important.

Comment

How many bottles have you bottled?

Not filtering wont be as noticeable in the red....

was it crystal clear at bottling?

regards
                Bob
                N.G.W.B.J.

Comment

I bottled 28 red, it looked very clear it had been sitting waiting to be bottled for about 10 days longer than the kit instructions said so I suppose that was in my favour. I have only just started using my filter and as yet its not become second nature, I ran about 4 bottles of wine number 1 through it and the difference was amazing. thanks, john

Comment

I'd open one bottle of the red and have a good look at it in the glass. If it is crystal clear, well and good, cork it up again.

However this is for 'public' consumption and as such is a showcase for your wine. If it was me I'd bite the bullet and put it through the filter. It's a pain but worth it I think.
                    Let's party

AKA Brunehilda - Last of the Valkaries

Comment

Originally posted by Mamgiowl View Post

However this is for 'public' consumption and as such is a showcase for your wine. If it was me I'd bite the bullet and put it through the filter. It's a pain but worth it I think.
                      I agree, or your run the risk of getting a sediment line in the bottle which won't look too good at a wedding
                      Discount Home Brew Supplies
                      Chairman of 5 Towns Wine & Beer Makers Circle!
                      Convenor of Judges YFAWB Show Committee
                      National Wine Judge
                      N.G.W.B.J Member

Comment

Thanks for the replies if I run it through the filter will it be ok open to the air or am I being too paranoid?

Comment

That limited exposure to air wont hurt it

regards
                          Bob
                          N.G.W.B.J.

Comment

Originally posted by cpfan View Post
                            Some people stick a straw into the hose and suck on that. Should be much less chance of infection, but more chance of a mess if you have trouble pulling the straw out.

Steve
                            I just fill the syphon tube with wine keeping exit end closed insert into wine to be racked let go of the other end and voila gravity pulls the rest through.

Comment

Should I empty the bottles into a fermenter then filter back into the bottles or try to filter each bottle individually.

Comment

I think I would empty into a fermenter and leave for 2 or 3 weeks before I filtered.
                                I wish I was a glow worm
                                Cos a glow worm's never glum
                                It's hard to be unhappy
                                When the sun shines out your bum

Comment

Working...
                                X