Yorkshire Wine

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Yorkshire Wine

I wanted to do something for my sweetie, who happens to live in Yorkshire.

He was here in Germany, missing Yorkshire a bit, even brought Yorkshire tea with him to feel a bit more at home. So, I thought I'd make a typical Yorkshire wine, with ingredients often found in Yorkshire. I tried to surprise him with it, but since I'm not one who can keep a secret well, I blurted it out when he asked, "Oooh, what's this wine?" when he was here....

Thank you Colin Tweed for the Rhubarb help.

What's typical Yorkshire? Well, I had to find out first, before I made the wine. I learnt that one town in Yorkshire is the rhubarb capital of the world. They even have a rhubarb fest. This is my source for acid, however it still needed more acid. You probably could add more rhubarb for the same effect, however different tones.

Yorkshire tea was the source for tannins. And the inspiration of the wine.

I chose "Fruits of the forest" because they have been known to grow in Sherwood Forest, South Yorkshire, where Robin Hood has gained his claim to fame.

Apricots are not typical of Yorkshire (not that I am aware of), but added it because it sounded good. And a little for body. Anyone have (other than parsnip) a better alternative?

Other than that, what's typical Yorkshire? Yorkshire pudding, and I am NOT going to ferment that!

510 gr tinned "Fruits of the Forest"
    500 gr tinned apricots
    10 Yorkshire tea bags
    500 gr rhubarb
    Sugar to 1.080
    1 gallon Water
    1 tsp Energizer
    3 tsp acid
    1 tsp pectic enzyme
    1 tsp Nutrient
    1 campden tablet
    Red Star Montrachet Yeast

NO tannin

Put all of the ingredients together except for the yeast and pectic enzyme, wait at least 8 hours and let cool. Add the pectic enzyme, wait another 8 hours, and then add the yeast.

Ferment to dryness (when the SG hits 0.990) and then sweeten to taste. I personally like it dry, so it should be a nice table wine to go with Yorkshire Pudding.

Oh yes, I added Kwik-Clear and am currently filtering. The wine as it is stated in this recipe was completed in about 6 weeks, although it probably needs a good 6 months aging and probably even more.

Some of you might gasp at the acid levels, but it really does well in this wine (so far - 6 weeks into it).. I shall make this again, and hope that one Yorkshire Comp will take it into their "Fixed Recipe" class.

Bob has tasted some of this in its early stages, and was quite pleased. I think also that it is a good wine, and encourage all to replicate/improve it with Yorkshire typical ingredients.
    Virtual Wine Circle & Competition Co-Founder
    Twitter: VirtualWineO
    Facebook: Virtual Wine Circle

Originally posted by Danina View Post
    Other than that, what's typical Yorkshire? Yorkshire pudding, and I am NOT going to ferment that!
    Hmm, what about a Yorkshire Terrier? That might be fun to ferment.

Steve

Comment

well, that's just about as bad as fermenting paddington bear.

Virtual Wine Circle & Competition Co-Founder
      Twitter: VirtualWineO
      Facebook: Virtual Wine Circle

Comment

Yeah, but when it comes to hangover time you've already had 'hair of the dog' !
        Let's party

AKA Brunehilda - Last of the Valkaries

Comment

Jan, if you listen carefully, you can hear a loud groan coming from all the way across the Atlantic.
          Steve

Comment

Oh - that's what it was!

I thought it was distant thunder
            Let's party

AKA Brunehilda - Last of the Valkaries

Comment

Working...
            X