Lychee Wine

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Lychee Wine

Having drunk a few Gewürztraminer wines, the first been given to me by Bob, I set about making one that was a reasonable copy.

Shameless cut/paste..

The dark pink color of gewürztraminer grapes results in wines coloured from light to dark golden yellow with a copper tone, depending upon the fruit ripeness. Gewürztraminer is quite full-bodied, more so than most any other white wine type. In fact, the combination of its strong, heady, perfumey scent, exotic lychee-nut flavour and heavy-oily texture can be overwhelming and tiring to many palates.

The recipe went like this..

2x tins lychees from Tesco in LIGHT syrup
    1x small tin WGC
    900g Sugar (or thereabouts, 1.080 is what I aimed for)
    2 tsp pectolase
    1/8th tsp tannin
    3tsp Tartaric acid. (measured to 4ml with a Ritchies acid test kit)

Made 1 gallon with gervin champagne yeast, as it was all I had in, I could have sworn I'd got a pack of 71b left..

Then a few weeks later I started one the same with a pack of 71b 1122.

Both lots were started with a starter with a b1 tablet and 1tsp nutrient in.

Started in bucket at 1.080 ish transfered to Demijon at 1.020, fermented to dry, Degassed, Finned, then racked twice more over 2 months to remove sediment. Didn't bother filtering it, it looked clear enough for me.

The first lot with the gervin yeast was very good, and didn't last long in the bottle! I still have 3 bottles of the second batch left, might try to hold on to 2 of them for a while longer.

BOB's REVIEW

If anyone tries this, post your feedback please!

Rich
    Last edited by Rich; 07-06-2011, 07:12 PM. Reason: Format

Very good Rich, I will give this a go in the near future. Did you notice any significant difference between the 2 batches (different yeasts)?
    National Wine Judge NGWBJ

Secretary of 5 Towns Wine and Beer Society

My friends would think I was a nut, turning water into wine....... Lyrics from Solsbury hill by Peter Gabriel

Member of THE newest wine circle in Yorkshire!!

Comment

Unfortunately I didn't drink them side by side. I seem to think the first batch was better, but it was maybe a little older when I drank it. This lot with the 71b is good though.

Comment

Originally posted by Rich View Post
        but it was maybe a little older when I drank it.

You were a little older too!
        N.G.W.B.J.
        Member of 5 Towns Wine and Beer Makers Society (Yorkshire's newest)
        Wine, mead and beer maker

Comment

Just been putting my lychee gurty together. I made a sugar syrup using about 750g of sugar (didn't want to over do it) thinking I can always chuck some more in. Checked the sg, 1.100 EEK!!! Stired like mad for a bit and re checked, 1.098. Put as much water in as I dare, sg 1.090, better but not ideal. I have now added the yeast starter (more water ) and will check the sg again later.

Rich addded about 900g of sugar giving an sg of about 1.080, I added about 750g giving an sg of 1.090 (in the end). Possible explanation, the tins of Lychees I got were 565g net weight (230g drained fruit) and were the Kingfisher brand from Morissons. Rich got his from Tesco and I don't know the weights. Possibly a lot more fruit syrup went into mine.

Moral of the story, only add half the amount of sugar that the recipe states, then adjust from there. I am sure it will turn out fine.

My friends would think I was a nut, turning water into wine....... Lyrics from Solsbury hill by Peter Gabriel

Comment

Good tip there Richard. That must be some strong syrup they're in. I'm fairly sure mine said light syrup on the tin, I'll chekc next time I go in Tescos. What yeast did you use?

I've been around Wing Yip chinese supermarket this weekend, what a fabulous place. I got 4 big tins of lychees for 65p each. I intend to make another batch of wine and then maybe try a lychee liqueur.
            Last edited by Rich; 23-06-2008, 07:23 AM. Reason: to get link working properly

Comment

Originally posted by Rich View Post
              What yeast did you use?
              I used Gervin shampoo yeast, I keep a packet handy for such occasions. None left now though, hope I can get some more. If this turns out ok, I will get a 2 or 3 gallon batch on.

Comment

Gravity of must now 1.030, c'mon yeasties do ya stuff.

Comment

Sounds good Rich. My tinned lychees were 425g/200g in LIGHT syrup.

I have another batch in primary now, should be due secondary tomorrow.

Rich

Comment

1x small tin WGC

What is this ingredient I am unsure of the abbreviation.
                    http://www.winensuds.com/ Gotta love this hobby

Comment

Originally posted by rjb222 View Post

1x small tin WGC

What is this ingredient I am unsure of the abbreviation.
                      WGC = White Grape Concentrate

Comment

Thank you I have that is there any thing i should be looking for on the can other than no sorbate ETC. ? The Brands will more than likely be different here.

Comment

Don't think they is anything else in it, It's sold in HomeBrew shops here to add to your home made wine.

Comment

I am sorry Rich [I] did not make myself clear about what I was asking. The lychee nuts in the cans is what I was inquiring about there is nothing added to my grape concentrate either.

Comment

Originally posted by rjb222 View Post
                              I am sorry Rich [I] did not make myself clear about what I was asking. The lychee nuts in the cans is what I was inquiring about there is nothing added to my grape concentrate either.
                              We buy 250ml cans of white or red grape concentrate to give body to fruit wines, 250ml is just about right for a gallon. The Lychees are just fruit in syrup, not sure if there is anything else in there but my wine is fermenting normally.

Comment

Working...
                              X