1.1 Kg Sugar
    1 Gal Water
    250g Chopped Raisins
    2 tsp Citric Acid
    1 tsp Tannin
    Amalase
    1 tsp Yeast nutrient
    1 pkt Champagne Type Yeast

Put Rice raisins and sugar into primary, boil water and add, stir and leave to cool. When cool add everything else and cover. Stir daily for seven days then strain without squeezing into DJ. Leave to ferment out. I did add an extra 150g of sugar as the fermentation slowed.
    I drink therefore I am.

Was thinking of giving this a go,but how much Amalase do I need?
    Area reserved for intelligent comments......

Comment

Originally posted by ukmike99 View Post
      It should say on your tub of amalase. Usually 1 or 2 tsps per gallon.

Let us all know how it goes! Photos are good too!

Rich

Comment

UKmike-- This looks like a cut down version of Sake as making Sake is something that is complicated and something that I have not tried. I do not care for Saki taste? but that is only me - I bet you could show me some that anyone will like.

This suggestion is only my preference from experience with other wines and Mead's: this amalase is something that is used to aid in the fermentation of the complex sugars of the rice? In beers you use approximately 1 teaspoon per 5 gallons so if you try 1/4 teaspoon it should do its job? There are some recipes that call for "paddy rice" (what ever that is) and some say brown rice and this one has basmati rice. This basmanti has a flavor of its own and if this is what you want go ahead and use it. I would definitely use golden raisins and change the citric acid to tartaric acid. Cheers hope this has helped-- Daw

Comment

Amylase here in the UK is recommended at 1 tsp per gallon, but here's a tip regarding starch haze. Add only 1/2 the amount of sugar at the start and allow to ferment dry before adding the rest, this will force the yeast to convert the starch into sugar and prevent any haze.

Also as regards to the recipe, firstly wash the rice under cold water and do not pour boiling water over the ingridients as this willpar cook the rice and release yet more starch, just dissolve the sugar in hot water and allow to cool, I would also add 1 tsp of pectolase which is not mentioned in the recipe. 2 tsp of citric acid also seems a little too much IMHO try tasting the must before adding the second tsp.
          Last edited by Duffbeer; 04-03-2008, 11:58 AM.
          Discount Home Brew Supplies
          Chairman of 5 Towns Wine & Beer Makers Circle!
          Convenor of Judges YFAWB Show Committee
          National Wine Judge
          N.G.W.B.J Member

Comment

Thanks for the input guys.Only recently got into this.So many recipes to try:-)
            I just need more space
            Area reserved for intelligent comments......

Comment

Mike if you're going to make this then expect a harsh wine, a little like whisky and water.
              It is an easy wine to make, but the results are not great if your expecting a wine flavoured drink. I recollect naming mine "brain damage" because of the whisky like taste and after effect. Enjoy but I doubt you'll make it a second time
              Discount Home Brew Supplies
              Chairman of 5 Towns Wine & Beer Makers Circle!
              Convenor of Judges YFAWB Show Committee
              National Wine Judge
              N.G.W.B.J Member

Comment

I've always used pudding rice and if you save the rice and add another portion of raisins [you could use sultanas] you can make a lighter wine from the same rice and then do it yet again perhaps adding a banana [chopped and boiled for 20 minutes or so and put in a bag] for a little more body.

Comment

Working...
                X