Clear All

• Rhubarb Wine

Two 1lb 3 oz tins of rhubarb
    3lb of sugar
    1 Tablespoon of depectiniser
    1 nutrient tablet
    White wine yeast
    Water to 1 gallon

here a cold water method is to be used or you will run into jellification problems, chop crush or mince the rhubarb, conserving the juice, or put it through a liquidizer, and pour the cold water onto it and add the pectolase, add 1 campden tablet. stand in a warm place closely covered for 24 hours. Then stir in the sugar and add your yeast and nutrient. Cover closely again and leave for four days, stirring daily. Then strain into fermentation jar, top up with water to bottom of neck, and fit airlock. Ferment out rack and bottle as usual.

Rhubarb Wine

EDIT:
    I NO LONGER USE THIS METHOD I USE THE METHOD OUTLINED BELOW NOW

Rhubarb recipe...courtesy of Jack Keller

Rhubarb Wine
    6-7 lbs red rhubarb
    2-1/2 lbs finely granulated sugar
    2 large lemons (juice only)
    water to make up one gallon
    1 crushed Campden tablet
    1 oz precipitated chalk
    1-1/2 tsp yeast nutrient
    Sauterne wine yeast
    Wash the rhubarb and cut into 1/2-inch lengths. Crush with a piece of sterilized hardwood (the end of a baseball bat is perfect) and put into primary. Dissolve crushed Campden tablet in gallon of cold water and pour over rhubarb. Cover primary and let set for three days, stirring daily. Strain through a nylon straining bag and squeeze as much liquid as possible from the pulp. Discard pulp and return liquor to primary. Add the precipitated chalk (obtainable at winemaking shop). The liquor will fizz, but then settle down. Wait 3 hours and taste. If oxalic acid taste is still too strong, add another 1/2 oz of precipitated chalk. Stir in all remaining ingredients, making sure the sugar dissolves completely. (NOTE: You may want to hold back one pound of the sugar and add it after fermentation is well on its way.) Cover and set aside overnight. Transfer to secondary and fit airlock, but to allow for foaming during fermentation hold back a pint or so in a small bottle plugged with cotton. When ferment settles down (5-7 days), top up with reserved liquor and refit airlock. Set aside in cool place until wine begins to clear. Rack, refit airlock and top up. Allow at least another two months, making sure fermentation has ceased, and rack again. If possible, cold stabilize wine for 30 days. If you can't cold stabilize, at least allow the wine the additional 30 days. Rack into bottles or blend with another wine.

If you bottle the rhubarb wine pure, it is drinkable right away. If you blend it, age it according to instructions for the wine you are blending with. If you make a 3-5-gallon batch, add 1/8 tsp tannin per gallon when you add the other dry ingredients to extend the life of the wine.
    Last edited by lockwood1956; 08-09-2009, 05:46 PM.
    N.G.W.B.J.
    Member of 5 Towns Wine and Beer Makers Society (Yorkshire's newest)
    Wine, mead and beer maker

Comment

Rhubarb Wine

Just picked up my rhubarb today from Karls now im all ready to start my first wine from fruit any advice would be most helpfull

Comment

Peel, chop into chunks and put in freezer for a week or so, remove from freezer and place in a colander over a large pan, cover with a t towel and allow to strain over night.
        Add 1 crushed campden tablet to the rhubarb juice and leave 24 hrs. Then in d/j add 1 ltr white grape juice, 1 ltr apple juice and 1 ltr rhubarb juice.

Add 1tsp pectolase, 1 tsp yeast nutrient and increase sg to 1.090 with sugar syrup, top up d/j to the shoulders before checking sg needs to be 1.090 allowing for a little top up will give overall 1.080 < >.
        There should be no need for acid additions, the rhubarb should contain enough malic acid to be about right, but remember to taste and see what you think remember this should be a clean crisp dry wine so a little high acid is needed. As for the oxalic acid as Hippie mentioned no need to worry as we have removed the leaves which contain the oxalic acid (poisonous BTW).
        Use the Lalvin D47 yeast and leave to ferment covered with a t towel for 3 to 4 days or untill sg is 1.020 < > then fit airlock and leave to ferment out, rack, stabalize and de-gass as usual.

Have moved this to recipe section
        Discount Home Brew Supplies
        Chairman of 5 Towns Wine & Beer Makers Circle!
        Convenor of Judges YFAWB Show Committee
        National Wine Judge
        N.G.W.B.J Member

Comment

Originally posted by Duffbeer View Post
          Peel, chop into chunks and put in freezer for a week or so, remove from freezer and place in a colander over a large pan, cover with a t towel and allow to strain over night.
          Add 1 crushed campden tablet to the rhubarb juice and leave 24 hrs. Then in d/j add 1 ltr white grape juice, 1 ltr apple juice and 1 ltr rhubarb juice.

Add 1tsp pectolase, 1 tsp yeast nutrient and increase sg to 1.090 with sugar syrup, top up d/j to the shoulders before checking sg needs to be 1.090 allowing for a little top up will give overall 1.080 < >.
          There should be no need for acid additions, the rhubarb should contain enough malic acid to be about right, but remember to taste and see what you think remember this should be a clean crisp dry wine so a little high acid is needed. As for the oxalic acid as Hippie mentioned no need to worry as we have removed the leaves which contain the oxalic acid (poisonous BTW).
          Use the Lalvin D47 yeast and leave to ferment covered with a t towel for 3 to 4 days or untill sg is 1.020 < > then fit airlock and leave to ferment out, rack, stabalize and de-gass as usual.

Have moved this to recipe section

I followed this recipe for my rhubarb wine...

Except, instead of adding white grape juice, I added red grape juice to one DJ and red grap concentrate to the other. I added sugar syrup to both.. and the SG is 1.082 and 1.084 respectively.

Also, my HBS did not have any Lalvin D47 yeast when I last went.... in fact there was not much choice in the way of yeasts ... the lady in the HBS said that a guy who was going out to Kuwait virtually cleared her out of yeast sachets the day before, and she was expecting a delivery later in the week.

I have used Connoisseurs Choice, wine yeast W0814... which states its for "white wines only"... ( I didn't notice this last statement until tonight, on another sachet, and I pitched the yeast last night) ....
          Anyway... nothing is happening yet Zilch.... Zug... Nada.... Bugger all

I will give it another 24 hours... and see if anything happens... If not, I am going down the happy road of "restart" again

I just wanted to double check if anyone has had any bother/problems with this yeast before ??
          Or if I have made a mistake using a white wine yeast, when I used red grape concentrate/juice ??

The temperature is okay too... as I have other stuff fermenting at the moment

As always, all comments welcome...
          Thanks
          Carole

EDIT: The lady in the HBS said that this yeast did not require to be "started", and should just be sprinkled on the top of the must. So this is what I did. I split one sachet, between the two DJ's.. appros 1.5 tsps each.

Many thanks
          Carole
          Last edited by spritzer; 26-09-2008, 01:43 AM. Reason: Add Info
          Insecure people try to make you feel smaller.

Confident people love to see you walk taller

Comment

I now make a starter, however small the batch.. although that doesn't help you now.. although 1 larger starter could have done the 2 demijohns.

It may well take off in the next 24 hrs, it could just have a longer lag phase.

Technically it wouldn't be a restart type yeast you'd need, as it never started.
            Last edited by Rich; 27-09-2008, 08:55 AM.

Comment

I would leave it for a while. Over the last two weeks I have started 7 wines, 3 of them rhubarb based. I found they all took different times to start working, the rhubarb ones the longest. In fact the Rhubarb and Strawberry took 4 days to even look as if it was alive. It's now blurping away like crazy. All the wines are in the same room, so temperature wasn't an issue - perhaps it's something in Rhubarb? If you used tinned did you check on preservatives? (Mine were all made from fresh BTW)
              Let's party

AKA Brunehilda - Last of the Valkaries

Comment

Originally posted by Rich View Post
                I now make a starter, however small the batch.. although that doesn't help you now.. although 1 larger starter could have done the 2 demijohns.

It may well take off in the next 24 hrs, it could just have a longer lag phase.

Technically it would be a restart type yeast you'd need, as it never started.
                Do you make a starter, even if it says to sprinkle on the must ??
                If thats the way ahead, then thats what I wil do. To be honest, I would rather make a starter, as you know your yeast is alive, if you know what I mean. I guess it just stops you "worrying" about the yeast starting

Sorry Rich... I am a little confused by your last sentence (sorry... its been a long day) Would I need a restart yeast or not, if it never started ??

Originally posted by Mamgiowl View Post
                I would leave it for a while. Over the last two weeks I have started 7 wines, 3 of them rhubarb based. I found they all took different times to start working, the rhubarb ones the longest. In fact the Rhubarb and Strawberry took 4 days to even look as if it was alive. It's now blurping away like crazy. All the wines are in the same room, so temperature wasn't an issue - perhaps it's something in Rhubarb? If you used tinned did you check on preservatives? (Mine were all made from fresh BTW)
                Wow... 4 days for it to start fermenting ?!?!?!
                I guess its like Hippie says.. "Patience grasshopper"
                It was fresh rhubarb that I had used... so no preservatives in it...
                But to be honest... I always check fruit juice for preservatives..
                But having never made wine from tins, yet, I am not so sure I would have checked the tins of fruit for preservatives
                I will be now though

Anyway... when I got in tonight, it was blooping

Worrying over wine ?
                Who would have thought it

Comment

Sorry Carole, typing away too early in the morning.. I've correct my wording and put it in red.. It wouldn't be a restart yeast..

Comment

Originally posted by Rich View Post
                    Sorry Carole, typing away too early in the morning.. I've correct my wording and put it in red.. It wouldn't be a restart yeast..

Many thanks Rich ...
                    Its blooping like a maniac tonight

Comment

Yay!
                      Let's party

AKA Brunehilda - Last of the Valkaries

Comment

Well.... started 2 one gallon DJ's of rhubarb and raspberry tonight
                        Woooooowwwwwwwweeeeeeeeee

The juice smelled bloody gaaaawwwwguuuusssss petal

Anyway... if the wine turns out as good as the juice smells, I will be on to a winner

Comment

I racked my rhubarb and raspberry the other day
                          Very tasty

Comment

My rhubarb and ginger (I was inspired by Zeb) is coming along nicely.
                            National Wine Judge NGWBJ

Secretary of 5 Towns Wine and Beer Society

My friends would think I was a nut, turning water into wine....... Lyrics from Solsbury hill by Peter Gabriel

Member of THE newest wine circle in Yorkshire!!

Comment

how many pound of rhubarb and how many raspberrys did you use

Comment

Working...
                              X