• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by flower View Post
    how many pound of rhubarb and how many raspberrys did you use
    I used 1.3kg of rhubarb... and 1.65kg of raspberry
    I had enough juice for 2 DJ's
    Insecure people try to make you feel smaller.

Confident people love to see you walk taller

Comment

Given that rhubarb isn't seasonal at the mo, I'm after a tried and tested recipe using tinned fruit...

I'm also interested in how Spritzers wine came out... Have you tried the wgj vs wgc versions yet or are they still aging?

Comment

Try a tinned rhubarb wine, it comes out loverly!
        HRH Her Lushness

Beauty is in the eye of the beer holder.

Comment

Originally posted by Aid View Post
          Given that rhubarb isn't seasonal at the mo, I'm after a tried and tested recipe using tinned fruit...

I'm also interested in how Spritzers wine came out... Have you tried the wgj vs wgc versions yet or are they still aging?
          I didn't think it turned out too bad. But it is a little tart
          I did make one DJ with RGJ and one with RGC... I haven't tried them recently. I was going to wait until the summer until I try them again

HERE is Bob's opion on my Rhubarb and Raspberry.

Comment

it is indeed a good wine....

but would be a top class medium sweet wine
            N.G.W.B.J.
            Member of 5 Towns Wine and Beer Makers Society (Yorkshire's newest)
            Wine, mead and beer maker

Comment

Originally posted by Richard S View Post
              My rhubarb and ginger (I was inspired by Zeb) is coming along nicely.

I'm led to believe that Ginger wines benefit from straining through bath towels (sorry John couldn't resist)
              N.G.W.B.J.
              Member of 5 Towns Wine and Beer Makers Society (Yorkshire's newest)
              Wine, mead and beer maker

Comment

Originally posted by lockwood1956 View Post
                I'm led to believe that Ginger wines benefit from straining through bath towels (sorry John couldn't resist)

Only as long as they've been santised first though...
                HRH Her Lushness

Beauty is in the eye of the beer holder.

Comment

it is indeed a good wine....

but would be a top class medium sweet wine
                  Thanks Bob

I soooo gonna try sweetening when I next open a bottle to see the difference

Comment

Now we are moving into season I was wanting to try some early rhubarb wine from fresh. Has anyone tried to do the German style? I've been googling a bit and i've found a recipe with clove and ginger. Is it recommended?

Just going to try 1 dj, I have some strawbs left not sure if rhubarb and strawb plus spices would work? He wants the freezer empty to defrost.

Comment

Originally posted by ScoPa View Post
                      Now we are moving into season I was wanting to try some early rhubarb wine from fresh. Has anyone tried to do the German style? I've been googling a bit and i've found a recipe with clove and ginger. Is it recommended?

Just going to try 1 dj, I have some strawbs left not sure if rhubarb and strawb plus spices would work? He wants the freezer empty to defrost.
                      Inspired by HrH Her Lushness I used ginger and cinnamon just racked it very gingery but nice and then later fruity I think cloves could be overpowering?

Comment

hiya,

mmm cinnamon. How much ginger did you use compared to fruit? The recipe I found didn't give quantities - useful!

Pam

Comment

Originally posted by plonky View Post
                          Inspired by HrH Her Lushness I used ginger and cinnamon just racked it very gingery but nice and then later fruity I think cloves could be overpowering?
                          If you look at the JAO recipe, he mentions cloves, but also points out that they're surprisingly powerful if used to excess - they are, I can confirm that
                          hiya,

mmm cinnamon. How much ginger did you use compared to fruit? The recipe I found didn't give quantities - useful!

Pam
                          I'd say that it's a bit of a guesswork thing. If you're using ground spices, then start with 1/8th to 1/4 of a teaspoon for both, or if you're using whole spices, then maybe 1/4 of a stick of cinnamon (thinking of the 2 to 3 inch sticks that Schwartz sell in those little jars) and maybe a half inch piece of green ginger root, which would probably be better grated.

Start small with the spices, you can always add more, but it's hard as hell to remove the taste if you've used too much!

Oh and that lot is just guess work, thinking about other recipes that I've read (and tried) that use spices.

regards

JtFB

p.s. Oh and with cloves, I wouldn't use more than 1 whole clove per gallon - it's amazing how strong a flavour can be extracted from just one, by the alcohol.
                          Women will never be equal to men until they can walk down the street with a bald head and a beer gut, and still think they are sexy.

Some blog ramblings

Comment

Those who mock, should away try for accuracy......it was a kitchen tea towel. A bath towel would have been far too large
                            Originally posted by Her Lushness View Post
                            Only as long as they've been sanitised first though...
                            Of course it was I'm quite happy to try all sorts of daft sounding methods, but at least they're sanitised daft methods

Oh ye of little faith!

regards

JtFB

p.s. and yes, it worked very well - it removed all 3/4's of a gallon of ginger sediment - which wouldn't have been there if I'd managed to remember the correct amount of ginger - instead of getting about 5 times too much and then saying "WTF" and using it all anyway
                            Women will never be equal to men until they can walk down the street with a bald head and a beer gut, and still think they are sexy.

Some blog ramblings

Comment

Thanks a million! I'd have guessed much bigger quantities so well warned!

I think I'll follow Duff's juice and add FB's spices

So I'll try

1 ltr rhubarb juice
                              1 ltr apple juice
                              1 ltr White grape juice
                              1/3 stick of cinnamon
                              1 clove
                              1 thumb size (last knuckle) ginger cube

Then all the usual gubbins. I wanted a warm medium sweet Xmas wine so I best get my skates on.

Thanks again,
                              Pam

Comment

Thanks a million! I'd have guessed much bigger quantities so well warned!

I think I'll follow Duff's juice and add FB's spices

So I'll try

1 ltr rhubarb juice
                                1 ltr apple juice
                                1 ltr White grape juice
                                1/3 stick of cinnamon
                                1 clove
                                1 thumb size (last knuckle) ginger cube

Thanks again,
                                Pam
                                Same recipie I used only I used X2 large tins of rhubarb and about 3 inch stick cinammon.

No cloves.
                                Just a thought rhubarb and vanilla (custard is vanilla flavored) sounds nice mmmmm

Comment

Working...
                                X