No announcement yet.

Rhubarb Wine

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Not sure I'd go for all three spices - there might be a cumulative effect.

Plus I know that rhubarb is a more subtle flavour than most people give it credit for.......it's probably just me being picky but I'd like the rhubarb flavour to come through as the strongest one. Then I'd probably go for either cinnamon and ginger, or cinnamon and vanilla (extract or a split pod).

Either way, both ScoPa and plonky's suggestions sound excellent

Just my 2 pence worth...

regards

JtFB
    Women will never be equal to men until they can walk down the street with a bald head and a beer gut, and still think they are sexy.

Some blog ramblings

Comment

Doh! That's the kind of suggestion that has me buying more djs!!! And mki ng 3 different kinds!!!

Comment

My kinda-father-in-law wanted to make a rhubarb wine, so I gave his this recipe:
        Two 1lb 3 oz tins of rhubarb
        3lb of sugar
        1 Tablespoon of depectiniser
        1 nutrient tablet
        White wine yeast
        Water to 1 gallon

He made one, I made one. His fermented faster and is finished, mine is almost finished fermenting. His looks like water, is very this and has almost no flavour. I know the fruit was mashed enough cos I did it, but perhaps he didn't stir it over the next few days. Until I try mine I wont know, but has anyone got any thoughts on this?

Comment

There's nothing there for body aid, you need either grape juice or concentrate or some sultanas.
          Discount Home Brew Supplies
          Chairman of 5 Towns Wine & Beer Makers Circle!
          Convenor of Judges YFAWB Show Committee
          National Wine Judge
          N.G.W.B.J Member

Comment

This is the recipe from the start of this thread - supposed to be lovely...

Comment

hmmm, not my prefered choice of recipe, lacks anything to give the wine any form of vinosity/body, rhubarb that I have made with the juice only have all resulted in a sharp insipid tasting wine.
              National Wine Judge
              N.G.W.B.J Member

Comment

Arr well. It ought to be useful as a blender or topping up other wines at least.
                What would you add to it, were you to wish to make some?

Comment

1 ltr apple, 1 ltr white grape or 250ml concentrate or 500g of minced sultanas and no more than 1 ltre of rhubarb juice, add no additional acid and add some elderflowers to the secondary ferment.
                  Makes a pleasant tipple.
                  National Wine Judge
                  N.G.W.B.J Member

Comment

Next time I'm in Rhubarb mode, I'll try that. There are a few others to get through first though and I have no more demijohns left. Thanks.

Comment

I finished my rhubarb last night. It was much better than my kinda-father-in-laws. The weirdest thing is that it is sooo clear already. A couple of days ago it looked like it had been fined, but there were still bubbles rising from the bottom.

Comment

Originally posted by Duffbeer View Post
                        hmmm, not my prefered choice of recipe, lacks anything to give the wine any form of vinosity/body, rhubarb that I have made with the juice only have all resulted in a sharp insipid tasting wine.
                        I've found that too, although Rhubarb from earlier in the season when it first sprouts tends to be a tad sweeter when the shoots are still narrow...
                        Getting progressively more "acidic" throughout the year...

I use home grown, having 5 large plants means I generally have more than enough

Following a lot of recipes it lends itself to blending very well to bulk out other wines that are either too strong or feel like they're "lacking that something extra"...

Definitely needs something else with it though, I prefer sultanas as I find rasins a little harsh...

I've found it mixes with blackcurrants quite well, take the early Rhubarb and freeze it. Wait till the blackcurrants are ready and set to
                        If it's sweet it offsets the harshness I've found with the blackcurrants...

On another note I found it brought out the fruitier flavours of the blackcurrant too
                        ex ovo omnia
                        Chemist, welder, homebrewer

Comment

Originally posted by Duffbeer View Post
                          Add 1tsp pectolase, 1 tsp yeast nutrient and increase sg to 1.090 with sugar syrup, top up d/j to the shoulders before checking sg needs to be 1.090 allowing for a little top up will give overall 1.080 < >.

Its a while since i did the rhubarb wine how much sugar would you put in the syrup to start off with

Comment

I have got another batch of Rhubarb and raspberry on the go, that I started earlier in the week

Can anyone see a problem with using the fruit pulp to try and do a second run ??
                            Or is it not worth it with these fruits ??
                            Thanks
                            Carole
                            Insecure people try to make you feel smaller.

Confident people love to see you walk taller

Comment

fresh rhubarb in the freezer i was thinking of trying this

1 ltre of rhubarb juice from fresh rhubarb
                              3 tins of Blackcurrants 115g drained weight
                              1 ltre of grape juice red or white
                              1 ltre of apple juice
                              sugar to 1080
                              1 tsp pectolase
                              1 tsp of nutrient
                              gervin gv3 yeast
                              and then backsweetened to 1010

Comment

Rhubarb extraction

A tip from Duncan Gillespie which has never failed me was to chop up 4lb of rhubarb in to 1 inch chunks, place in a bowl and cover with 2lb of sugar and add a camden tablet. Cover and leave for a day and the sugar will have extracted the juice from the rhubarb and be completely dissolved. The syrup thus obtained is suitable for a gallon of rhubarb wine or as the basis for a rhubarb blend.

He also dismissed the idea of neutralising the oxalic acid and then replacing it with citric, malic or tartaric acids - or a blend of the three - as at the levels present in the rhubarb syrup were in no way toxic.

Comment

Working...
                                X