Collapse
This is a sticky topic.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

i likewise am interested in how this turned out.

i recently did a Barolo kit since I like Her Lushness really go for oak, body and flavour over everything else.

After eight months the first swig was awesome - judging by the comments on the modified rioja it was going well??

Comment

I'm not impressed with my results. Richard_S's was great, mine is a bit watery and lacking in body.

I have a theory that my local tap water is adversely affecting kit reds, so I am carrying out some experiments. The initial results with a kit white are promising, so if your kit reds usually turn out OK, I'd give the Rioja a go (maybe with 1 gallon first).
      Pete the Instructor

It looks like Phil Donahue throwing up into a tuba

Comment

Originally posted by Richard S View Post
        One of my choice slurping reds is the Beaverdale Rioja. The last one I made was in November and already I find myself down to the last few bottles. I bought another and decided to try to "enhance" the kit a little by adding a few extras. The kit comes with a packet of oak dust, I like oak so in went a 30g packet of French oak chips as well. I also added 500g of chopped sunmaid raisins and 1tsp of tannin. Anyway, I am at the de-gassing stage now so I thought I would sneak a taste (as you do ) and all I can say is YEEEEEEHAAAAAW!!!! Me thinks it's gonna be good.
        Guys,

Just bumping this thread. Were the tweeks for a 30 bottle/ 5 gallon kit or for a 1 gallon kit?

I'm thinking i might have a go at this, or buy another barola . . .

Owl.
        A day without wine is a day without sunshine!

Comment

The tweaks were for a 5 gallon kit, 1tsp of tannin added to a 1 gallon kit and you would to be able to drink nuclear waste (safely) before the wine would be drinkable
          National Wine Judge NGWBJ

Secretary of 5 Towns Wine and Beer Society

My friends would think I was a nut, turning water into wine....... Lyrics from Solsbury hill by Peter Gabriel

Member of THE newest wine circle in Yorkshire!!

Comment

I did a double take when I saw the title of this thread. Maybe it's just American slang, but "tweaked beaver" has a bawdy connotation in this country.
            Steve

Comment

Originally posted by NorthernWiner View Post
              I did a double take when I saw the title of this thread. Maybe it's just American slang, but "tweaked beaver" has a bawdy connotation in this country.
              That's funny- I lived in the States most of my life and your comment cracks me up!

Comment

Reminds me of that bit in Naked Gun when Prescilla Presley is up on a ladder and Frank Drevin says "Nice Beaver".
                She replies "Thanks, I recently had it stuffed."

Then hands him a . . .
                A day without wine is a day without sunshine!

Comment

Working...
                X