Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Big boy now

This is Vernon.....
    he is a catawba vine, he came to me from America as a spindly child, he has been well fed and is now a growing teen
    Attached Files
    N.G.W.B.J.
    Member of 5 Towns Wine and Beer Makers Society (Yorkshire's newest)
    Wine, mead and beer maker

Nice to see young Vernon again. He will be a fine producer of tasty pinkish wines someday.

But he's still in a pot, Bob. When are you going to boot this lad out of the nest and allow him to fend for himself?
    Steve

Comment

Well my living arrangements are not set in stone as yet, so didnt want to plant him only to take him up again in a couple of years

although he would do better planted, I thought about cutting the bottom off the pot and burying it, so he wasnt disturbed, and then taking cuttings from him.
      N.G.W.B.J.

Comment

How old are vines when they nprmally begin to fruit? Also, does anybody have any advice for lifting 25 year old vines? I've been offered some very cheap but i'm concerned about taking them. Sorry to spam your thread bob but i'm sure you've got some answers!

Comment

Originally posted by danpug View Post
          How old are vines when they nprmally begin to fruit? Also, does anybody have any advice for lifting 25 year old vines? I've been offered some very cheap but i'm concerned about taking them.
          Cuttings are the answer. A 25-year vine would be difficult to transplant, but you can easily propagate any vine using dormant cuttings. Basically, you can take a dormant piece of cane with a couple of buds and stick it in the ground in the spring once the soil warms up enough. Green cuttings are only slightly trickier.

To answer your first question, depending on the variety, you could take a small crop in the third year and a full crop from there after. Some vines are so vigorous, that it's even possible to take a small crop in the 2nd year, but usually that practice isn't recommended. You want a good healthy root system before you start producing clusters.
          Steve

Comment

Thanks for your help.

Comment

Originally posted by NorthernWiner View Post
              -----%<-----
              You want a good healthy root system before you start producing clusters.
              Bonemeal! Bonemeal is good for encourageing healthy root - according to our family "garden guru".

Anyways, it seems to have worked for our wisteria.

regards

JtFB
              Women will never be equal to men until they can walk down the street with a bald head and a beer gut, and still think they are sexy.

Some blog ramblings

Comment

The important thing for vines is balance when it comes to nutrient and fertiliser, so i use chempak.....its a 15-15-15 NPK feed so has equal amounts of Nitrogen Potassium and Phosphate.

(see Im a fertiliser Geek too!)
                N.G.W.B.J.

Comment

Then you also know you can decrease nitrogen and increase potassium when you are getting too much green growth and not much fruit production. Right ? Of course you do.

REBEL MODERATOR

...lay down the boogie and play that funky music 'til ya die...'til ya die !"

Comment

yes of course G

I'm a geek

but thats great advice
                    N.G.W.B.J.

Comment

Vernon as a Toddler

Well, just so you see him as a cheeky little toddler:
                      Attached Files
                      Virtual Wine Circle & Competition Co-Founder
                      Twitter: VirtualWineO
                      Facebook: Virtual Wine Circle

Comment

Working...
                      X