Vine prunings

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Vine prunings

I read somewhere that you could make wine from vine prunings. My grapes have come to nothing due to the weather, but the vines are growing strongly with far too many leaves so I thought I'd make the best of a bad job and make wine from them, However I can't find a recipe. Can anyone help please?
    Let's party

AKA Brunehilda - Last of the Valkaries

Jan, you can for sure, have read about it a few times, but can't seem to recolect where. I shall brows a few of my books and forums, and let you know if it pops up.
    Discount Home Brew Supplies
    Chairman of 5 Towns Wine & Beer Makers Circle!
    Convenor of Judges YFAWB Show Committee
    National Wine Judge
    N.G.W.B.J Member

Comment

Here we go Jan, it's called folly wine, apparently it makes a light but pleasant wine.
      There was no recipe as such, but from what I can gather it's made simular to PARSNIP wine, where the leaves and tendrils are boiled, then the strained liquer is used to dissolve the sugar and is then fed with WGC. Hope that's enough to go on, I'll post more if I can find it.
      Discount Home Brew Supplies
      Chairman of 5 Towns Wine & Beer Makers Circle!
      Convenor of Judges YFAWB Show Committee
      National Wine Judge
      N.G.W.B.J Member

Comment

Can't say for certain (not sure where the book is), but I seem to recall it being mentioned in CJJ's "First Steps" book.

If I can find my copy later I'll post whatever it says.

regards

JtFB
        Women will never be equal to men until they can walk down the street with a bald head and a beer gut, and still think they are sexy.

Some blog ramblings

Comment

Thanks both for reminding me it was called 'Folly Wine' and I have found the reference In First Steps. Unfortunately Berry recommends making it but gives no instructions at all on method, quantity or any thing else so I'll have another trawl of the web using the correct name.

Ta
          Let's party

Comment

Ooh, how very embarrassing, my profound apologies to Mr Berry.

Having spent a frustrating hour or so trawling the web I went back to First Steps only to find that two pages had got stuck together and there was indeed a recipe for this wine.

I reproduce it here in case anyone else is interested:

5lb Leaves and tendrils
            3lb Sugar
            1tsp Citric acid
            Water to one gallon
            Yeast and nutrient

Boil water and pour over prunings and let stand for 48 hours, turning occasionaly. Strain and press leaves, 'wash' them with 1pint water for a second pressing. Add sugar and dissolve, add yeast etc and pour into fermenting vessel. Fit airlock and proceed as usual.

If I do make this (quantity of prunings an issue) I'll tweak it a bit, especially where the sugar is concerned, and keep you posted
            Let's party

Comment

That's an interesting sounding concoction.

Most grape winemakers strive to keep stems and leaves out of their wines because failure to do so can result in unpleasant herbaceous flavors. In this recipe, it appears as if that's the goal.

Keep us updated, Jan. I'd like to hear how this one comes out.

Steve
              Steve

Comment

vine pruning

have made this wine many times and each time I never seem to be amazed (or drunk )

Comment

Recipe

I have not made this myself but I am told it can be very good indeed.

There is a good recipe for it in C J J Berrys book 'first steps to winemaking'

Malc
                  Malc

Comment

Vine prunings also get a mention in Bill Smiths award winning wines.

Comment

Originally posted by northernwiner View Post
                      that's an interesting sounding concoction.
                      You read my mind - Nicely put. LOL
                      Last edited by Cellar_Rat; 12-10-2011, 07:09 AM.
                      Gluten free, caffeine free, dairy free, fat free – you gotta love this red wine diet!

Comment

Working...
                      X