Pre Grapefest Romp

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Pre Grapefest Romp

Richard_s and I went to London today to pick up some grapes....we left at 6 am....bought the grapes processed them and are now drinking some of my home made beer....life is good
    Attached Files
    N.G.W.B.J.
    Member of 5 Towns Wine and Beer Makers Society (Yorkshire's newest)
    Wine, mead and beer maker

Some more

drew off some juice to make a rose....may end up white.....look at the seperation!

and a nice apricot beer to finish with
    Attached Files
    N.G.W.B.J.

Comment

Hmmmmm I bought the Ciliguilio

Brix at 19....harvested a little early I'm thinking....

PH is 2.9
      TA is 8.5 g/l

have split mine into two buckets ( I bought 12 X 20lb boxes) one I will ferment as is with PH low and acid high, to hopefully produce a very fruity red that will need acid dropping out via cold stabilisation, the other bucket I will add around 1.5 gallons of sugar syrup at 1.100, this will hopefully bring numbers more like Brix 21 and PH 3.4 (I'm hoping) and acid numbers more like 7 to 7.5 g/l

both batches will benefit from American white oak sawdust (cheers Curt) and Trenolin rouge DF (allegedly gives extra juice...we will see!.....£11 for 100ml it better!)

but Im tired now....so having a beer

update:

added the sugar syrup and some tancor grand cru....on the batch with the sugar syrup added the acid is now 7 g/l (whoo hoo) and the PH registers as 3.1 (however my PH meter is having a bit of a do!......or the beer is affecting me more than I think)

Fermentation is underway already (pre made starter of Lalvin RC-212)

life is gooooooooooooooooood

about to open a bottle of wine No 1 citrus aperitif...richard went home with a bottle of my 05 sangiovese and the 04 Raisin (EEK) and 7 gallons of red wine must
      Last edited by lockwood1956; 30-08-2008, 07:02 PM.
      N.G.W.B.J.

Comment

Bugger...didnt check the brix!!!

well it will be above 19 (which is 1.077 SG)
        N.G.W.B.J.

Comment

What a day! This was a bit of an "off the cuff" adventure as I was waiting 'till Grapefest but the temptation of these early grapes was too much after waiting for so long. I got 5 boxes of Ciliguilio and a 25l carbouy (a snip at £12).

After processing the grapes, Bob produced a variety of beers & lagers produced from scratch. Not a bad one among them, in fact the lager was sublime stuff.

Anyway, after doing a couple of adjustments when I got home, the wine will now be pretty much be left alone to do it's thing
          National Wine Judge NGWBJ

Secretary of 5 Towns Wine and Beer Society

My friends would think I was a nut, turning water into wine....... Lyrics from Solsbury hill by Peter Gabriel

Member of THE newest wine circle in Yorkshire!!

Comment

Good job fellows !

Hey man, just call it 11% PA. should be about right !

The beer looks tasty indeed.

REBEL MODERATOR

...lay down the boogie and play that funky music 'til ya die...'til ya die !"

Comment

Was awake early

off to the winery to check on progress, very misty this morning...but everything looks great, and smells great too
              Attached Files
              N.G.W.B.J.

Comment

There is a picture called "RICH-PRESS.jpg" that looks rather like it's a warehouse type place that. Plus Richard_S's comment about the cheap 25 ltr glassware seems that they also sell good value stuff.

Where is it? because if it's the place where you get the grapes it'd be a good place to know (I'm looking for a reasonably priced, decent sized fruit press).

regards

JtFB
                Women will never be equal to men until they can walk down the street with a bald head and a beer gut, and still think they are sexy.

Some blog ramblings

Comment

Yes John, it's the same place the grapes come from, he has various sized presses, carbouys from 10l up to 54l and a few other bits and bobs. Give him a ring and get a price.

My friends would think I was a nut, turning water into wine....... Lyrics from Solsbury hill by Peter Gabriel

Comment

I PM'd you the number john
                    N.G.W.B.J.

Comment

Originally posted by lockwood1956 View Post
                      I PM'd you the number john
                      Cheers Bob, I've put "it" in my "saved PM's" folder

regards

JtFB
                      Women will never be equal to men until they can walk down the street with a bald head and a beer gut, and still think they are sexy.

Some blog ramblings

Comment

Looks just like Merry Old England looks in the movies...misty !!!

REBEL MODERATOR

...lay down the boogie and play that funky music 'til ya die...'til ya die !"

Comment

What do you store the wine in once finished, assuming you don't bottle it all? I know for small amounts dj's are fine but for a large quantity?

Comment

My Montypulciano from last year is still in demi johns, I intend to bottle that today. For larger quantities (5 gal) a glass carbouy is ideal.

Comment

Is the what you bought for £12 then?

Comment

Working...
                              X