No announcement yet.

Pre Grapefest Romp

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Yes, there are a few different types of carbouy available, some are made from plastic and cost around £12-£13 and glass ones that cost between £18-£23. The one I bought yesterday is a different type and holds slightly more than 5 gallons, I will post a pic later of the three different types that I have.
    National Wine Judge NGWBJ

Secretary of 5 Towns Wine and Beer Society

My friends would think I was a nut, turning water into wine....... Lyrics from Solsbury hill by Peter Gabriel

Member of THE newest wine circle in Yorkshire!!

Comment

Mine is stored in a combination of 25 and 54 litre Demijohns

regards
      Bob
      N.G.W.B.J.
      Member of 5 Towns Wine and Beer Makers Society (Yorkshire's newest)
      Wine, mead and beer maker

Comment

54 litre! Is that glass???

Comment

Originally posted by danpug View Post
          54 litre! Is that glass???
          Yes. If you look at either the picture of the chap with the 2 presses in the fore ground, you will see examples of the one I think Bob is refering too, or you can look through the Brouwland website and under bottles/tanks/casks, you'll see a section for demi-johns - but you won't see the style normally available to us in the UK (well not the ones with 2 lug handles, as those are the ones we "normally" see and historically were used for selling cider - some with straight holes, just for a bung and others that also have a thread, as later models took a screw cap).

Most of the ones on the Brouwland site, like the ones "in plastic baskets" are more what would be described as "carbouys" i.e. they'd originally have been in wicker baskets (and later in wire framed baskets) with straw to protect them. They'd have contained acids and other similar chemicals that might damage metal or other non-glass materials.

They're available from 5 litres up to 54 litres. Though you have to do a bit of digging for caps/stoppers as they're considerably larger than "normal" demi-johns i.e. most of them have about a 40mm opening and the 54 litre one is (I think) about 50mm. Then, as you can see from the Brouwland site, they also have "wide mouthed" DJ's of similar shape. I'd guess that they'd be good for heavy musts that have a lot of fruit pulp etc.

regards

JtFB
          Women will never be equal to men until they can walk down the street with a bald head and a beer gut, and still think they are sexy.

Some blog ramblings

Comment

Right then, carbouys.......

The one on the left is the one I got yesterday as discribed above by John. The middle one is a plastic betta bottle and the one on the right is a standard (expensive) carbouy.
            Attached Files

My friends would think I was a nut, turning water into wine....... Lyrics from Solsbury hill by Peter Gabriel

Comment

Originally posted by fatbloke View Post
              Though you have to do a bit of digging for caps/stoppers as they're considerably larger than "normal" demi-johns i.e. most of them have about a 40mm opening and the 54 litre one is (I think) about 50mm.
              The betta bottle takes a size 10 bung which is just a tad too big for the new carbouy, it might go in with some persuasion.

Comment

Anyway, back to grapes.

Pic 1 - A couple of nice fruit presses.

Pic 2 - Large fermenting vessels, the cardboard boxes at the back contain fireworks!

Pic3 - David telling Bob a tale.
                Attached Files

Comment

Pic 1 - In the fridge, Bob checking the brix of the grapes.

Pic 2 - Fresh out of the crusher/de-stemmer.

Pic 3 & 4 - Chooks cleaning up after us.
                  Attached Files

Comment

Pic 1 - Bob checking the numbers.

And a couple of pics from this morning.

Pic 2 - Misty start.

Pic 3 - I drew off a gallon of the must to make a rose wine.
                    Attached Files

Comment

does David have a website or maybe list his stuff on ebay ???

It'd be worth checking out for any other goodies I'm looking for...

Apart from that, excellent pic's.

regards

JtFB
                      Women will never be equal to men until they can walk down the street with a bald head and a beer gut, and still think they are sexy.

Some blog ramblings

Comment

No website that I am aware of and I doubt that he sells on ebay, Bob will know for sure.

Comment

No he only sells direct, and its cash only

he does however have a mailing list, once you are on the list you get prior notce of what grape varietals are coming and when.

regards
                          Bob
                          N.G.W.B.J.

Comment

oh and by the way...................

12 Days!
                            N.G.W.B.J.

Comment

Just given the grape stuff the first punch down of the day, I checked the sg - 1.060 so moving quite nicely in the right direction. Not much colour extraction as yet, just a tad darker than the gallon of rose that I pulled off yesterday.

Comment

Just got in off night shift, punched cap down again and checked gravity 1.032!!

If i'm not pressing tomorrow, it will be Thursday.
                                Last edited by Richard S; 02-09-2008, 08:12 AM.

Comment

Working...
                                X