Chardonnay - Beaverdale Kit

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Chardonnay - Beaverdale Kit

I bought a 6 bottle kit as an experiment - I'm hoping to build up a stock of everyday white, some of which won't be Wine No.1

A piece of cake to make - just add water.

Well, slightly more involved - sanitise, add a mixture of boiled and tap water to get the temperature right, check SG, add a couple of sachets, pitch yeast, wait.

The only deviation from the instructions were to rack just before stabilising, so that stirring when adding the finings didn't create too much cloudiness.

I wasn't bothered about speed - I took my time over everything, checked SG over a period of 4 days to ensure it had finished, waited for it to fully clear and then waited a couple more days just to make sure, and it still took just 28 days from start to bottling.

I have sneaked a taste - so far it tastes like you'd expect it to taste - perfectly harmless.

I'll see how long I can wait before drinking - watch this space for updates.
    Pete the Instructor

It looks like Phil Donahue throwing up into a tuba

I just love the 6 bottle kits, they are a great way to find out if you really like a particular wine before you do the 5 gallon version. The Chard won't be earth shatteringly good but will be better than some of the commercial versions you will have tried.
    National Wine Judge NGWBJ

Secretary of 5 Towns Wine and Beer Society

My friends would think I was a nut, turning water into wine....... Lyrics from Solsbury hill by Peter Gabriel

Member of THE newest wine circle in Yorkshire!!

Comment

That's exactly my thought - a tenner wasted is better than £37 wasted.

I think I'll give the 1 gal White Zinfandel a go next.
      Pete the Instructor

Comment

Sauvignon Blanc is the one to go for.....Fantastic kit
        Discount Home Brew Supplies
        Chairman of 5 Towns Wine & Beer Makers Circle!
        Convenor of Judges YFAWB Show Committee
        National Wine Judge
        N.G.W.B.J Member

Comment

Originally posted by Duffbeer View Post
          Or White Burgundy or Barolo or Rioja or Veiux Chateau DU Roi or..................

My friends would think I was a nut, turning water into wine....... Lyrics from Solsbury hill by Peter Gabriel

Comment

What about the BEAVERDALE CHABLIS BLUSH (ROSE)? any one tried that?
            Winer Swapper Extraordinaire
            Wanna swap your wine for something exciting? follow the link:

http://www.winesathome.co.uk/forum/s...ead.php?t=2568

Comment

I just wish the 6 bottle kits were available in Canbada.

Steve
              the procrastinating wine maker in the Niagara Region of Ontario Canada
              "why do today what you can put off till next week"

Comment

Originally posted by cpfan View Post
                I just wish the 6 bottle kits were available in Canbada.

Steve
                Hope that is a typo.

I believe the Beaverdale kits, or at least the juice originates in Canada. Are there ANY 1 gal kits available over there?

Comment

Originally posted by Richard_S View Post
                  Hope that is a typo.

I believe the Beaverdale kits, or at least the juice originates in Canada. Are there ANY 1 gal kits available over there?
                  Beaverdale are UK kits made with European juice, it's the Heron bay ones that are from Canada.
                  Discount Home Brew Supplies
                  Chairman of 5 Towns Wine & Beer Makers Circle!
                  Convenor of Judges YFAWB Show Committee
                  National Wine Judge
                  N.G.W.B.J Member

Comment

Originally posted by Richard_S View Post
                    Hope that is a typo.

Vineco had a couple of Ken Ridge Classic Intro kits but they weren't popular and were discontinued in less than a year.

There is another brand called Woodland Estate carried by Wine Kitz. However, few stores carry them. I have been in 2 Wine Kitz stores in the last 6-8 months and neither carried them.

As I am about to move across Canada, perhaps I will find some on the way. Know a good Wine Kitz store in Regina, for example.

But I would like a range of varieties so that I could try some that I might not otherwise make. For example in the whites, we like Riesling & Gewurztraminer so would probably not buy a 1 gallon kit of these. But would in Chardonnay, Viognier, and/or Piesporter.

Steve
                    the procrastinating wine maker in the Niagara Region of Ontario Canada
                    "why do today what you can put off till next week"

Comment

Beaverdale are UK kits made with European juice, it's the Heron bay ones that are from Canada.
                      Might have been the California Connoisseur kits I was thinking of, they come in the 1 gal form as well.

Comment

i'm pretty sure that vineco own beaverdale and they are canadian

could be wrong mind
                        Last edited by lockwood1956; 10-09-2008, 05:45 PM.
                        N.G.W.B.J.
                        Member of 5 Towns Wine and Beer Makers Society (Yorkshire's newest)
                        Wine, mead and beer maker

Comment

California Connoisseur kits are brilliant, even come with nice labels..

Cheap from Brewgenie too, free postage when you order over £65 .. and 5% off for forum members.. And Paul is reallly really helpful too. (advert over)

Comment

Ditto
                            Insecure people try to make you feel smaller.

Confident people love to see you walk taller

Comment

One Sauvignon Blanc kit sitting on the shelf, will be started post-Grapefest .

speaking of which, I need to get up in 6 hours - better go to bed
                              Pete the Instructor

Comment

Working...
                              X