Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Joe Mattioli's Ancient Orange and spice Mead recipe

Joe Mattioli's Ancient Orange and Spice Mead

It is so simple to make and you can make it without much equipment and with a multitude of variations. This could be a first Mead for the novice as it is almost fool proof. It is a bit unorthodox but it has never failed me or the friends I have shared it with. (snip)...it will be sweet, complex and tasty.

1 gallon batch

3 1/2 lbs Clover or your choice honey or blend (will finish sweet)
    1 Large orange (later cut in eights or smaller rind and all)
    1 small handful of raisins (25 if you count but more or less ok)
    1 stick of cinnamon
    1 whole clove ( or 2 if you like - these are potent critters)
    optional (a pinch of nutmeg and allspice.....very small )
    1 teaspoon of Fleishmann’s bread yeast ( now don't get holy on me--- after all this is an ancient mead and that's all we had back then)
    Balance water to one gallon

Process:

Use a clean 1 gallon carboy

Dissolve honey in some warm water and put in carboy

Wash orange well to remove any pesticides and slice in eights --add orange (you can push em through opening big boy -- rinds included -- its ok for this mead -- take my word for it -- ignore the experts)

Put in raisins, clove, cinnamon stick, any optional ingredients and fill to 3 inches from the top with cold water. ( need room for some foam -- you can top off with more water after the first few day frenzy)

Shake the heck out of the jug with top on, of course. This is your sophisticated aeration process.

When at room temperature in your kitchen, put in 1 teaspoon of bread yeast. ( No you don't have to rehydrate it first-- the ancients didn't even have that word in their vocabulary-- just put it in and give it a gentle swirl or not)(The yeast can fight for their own territory)

Install water airlock. Put in dark place. It will start working immediately or in an hour. (Don't use grandma's bread yeast she bought years before she passed away in the 90's)( Wait 3 hours before you panic or call me) After major foaming stops in a few days add some water and then keep your hands off of it. (Don't shake it! Don't mess with them yeastees! Let them alone except its okay to open your cabinet to smell every once in a while.

Racking --- Don't you dare
    additional feeding --- NO NO
    More stirring or shaking -- Your not listening, don't touch

After 2 months and maybe a few days it will slow down to a stop and clear all by itself. (How about that) (You are not so important after all) Then you can put a hose in with a small cloth filter on the end into the clear part and siphon off the golden nectar. If you wait long enough even the oranges will sink to the bottom but I never waited that long. If it is clear it is ready. You don't need a cold basement. It does better in a kitchen in the dark. (Like in a cabinet) likes a little heat (70-80). If it didn't work out... you screwed up and didn't read my instructions (or used grandma's bread yeast she bought years before she passed away) . If it didn't work out then take up another hobby. Mead is not for you. It is too complicated.
    If you were successful, which I am 99% certain you will be, then enjoy your mead. When you get ready to make different mead you will probably have to unlearn some of these practices I have taught you, but hey--- This recipe and procedure works with these ingredients so don't knock it. It was your first mead. It was my tenth. Sometimes, even the experts can forget all they know and make good ancient mead.
    Last edited by lockwood1956; 15-04-2008, 11:25 PM.
    N.G.W.B.J.
    Member of 5 Towns Wine and Beer Makers Society (Yorkshire's newest)
    Wine, mead and beer maker

I know that technically this is a Melomel!

but you MUST (pardon the pun) try it

it smells divine!

regards
    Bob
    N.G.W.B.J.

Comment

I am tempted but need to get the quick stuff done that I want ready for xmas

*then* I'll start on the rest

Comment

This should be ready for Xmas

what could be more traditional than mead,,made for wassailing!

whatever that is!

anyone know?
        N.G.W.B.J.

Comment

but I've not got any empty DJs and NO I'm not buying another one

Comment

And why not aqua?

Fermenting shows no mercy to the beginner

Comment

Originally posted by lockwood1956
              This should be ready for Xmas

what could be more traditional than mead,,made for wassailing!

whatever that is!

anyone know?
              It's when you go round people's houses quaffing and singing, and generally having a good time. (You, not the neighbours) They give you figgy pudding, money, more quaffing stuff - anything to get rid of you
              Sounds good to me
              Let's party

AKA Brunehilda - Last of the Valkaries

Comment

Originally posted by Axl
                And why not aqua?
                cos I don't have the space I've got 3 on the go, and one fermenting bin and there just isn't the space

Hopefully all of them will be empty in the next couple of weeks so I can get more going but no more DJ's

Unless someone wishes to give me a bigger house

Comment

Originally posted by Mamgiowl
                  It's when you go round people's houses quaffing and singing, and generally having a good time. (You, not the neighbours) They give you figgy pudding, money, more quaffing stuff - anything to get rid of you
                  Sounds good to me
                  have a look for wassailing info

I know it linked to orchards, there is a farm in lincolnshire that has a wassailing night

Comment

what other yeast could I use for this other than bread yeast? would a gp one be ok?

Comment

Yes a general purpose yeast would be ok
                      N.G.W.B.J.

Comment

fabulous

Comment

I started this mead on the 8th of Oct. I will tell you,IT SMELLS WONDERFUL!
                          Can't wait for Thanksgiving and Christmas,as this mead will be on the menu for our family get togethers!
                          ms.spain
                          lovin' this hobby!

Comment

Started today

I started this one today. I just added a pkg of wine yeast as my bread yeast seems to have died with grandma in 1990. I hope there's something left in the carboy in the morning. I'd hate to have everything bubble out. I think I'll set it in the sink for the night, just in case.
                            Life's more fun with a Polish Wine Princess!
                            Half owner of Italian Floor Corker

Comment

the first batch i made is almost completely clear, just some bubbling still.but not sure if thats CO2 or not

I know the recipe says not to but im going to rack it...........the fruit is starting to look a tad grungy

I have three 1 gallon batches of this stuff on the go

It smells just fantastic
                              N.G.W.B.J.

Comment

Working...
                              X