No announcement yet.

Elderberries

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Some nice American white oak also, adds lovely vanilla tones. (failing that light/medium toast french or hungarian...not heavy toast though)

I use corvoisier (sp?) Brandy and find it adds a real nice flavour profile, and worth the extra money.
    N.G.W.B.J.
    Member of 5 Towns Wine and Beer Makers Society (Yorkshire's newest)
    Wine, mead and beer maker

Comment

Originally posted by kerosine View Post
      One thing I did do with my Elderberries this year was to purchase a 5 gallon kit of Barolo (beaverdale) and I split it into 3 - this worked out cheaper than buying grape concentrate - so i'm hopind it would have added some vinocity. Time will tell
      That is a good idea. I have some Elderberries still in the freezer... so may try this soon

Originally posted by lockwood1956 View Post
      Some nice American white oak also, adds lovely vanilla tones. (failing that light/medium toast french or hungarian...not heavy toast though)

I use corvoisier (sp?) Brandy and find it adds a real nice flavour profile, and worth the extra money.
      I have some medium toast French oak already...
      If I get the chance to go to the HBS before I need the oak, I will try to get the American white oak.

Originally posted by Her Lushness View Post
      Mine isn't ready for brandy yet, but I tend to use supermarket better quality own brand, rather than the value stuff if you know what I mean?. I don't actually like the taste of brandy on its own, so I use it sparingly when fortifying wines.
      No... I am not a big brandy fan either, which is why I dont know which one to use
      But I think I will use a better quality one, as yourself and Bob suggests....
      It would be a crime to ruin it, just for the sake of a few quid.

Thanks everyone
      Carole
      Insecure people try to make you feel smaller.

Confident people love to see you walk taller

Comment

Originally posted by goldseal View Post
        ... and another 2lb of elderberries go into the freezer.

I fancy doing a nice heavy, sweet(ish) port. Has anyone tried this recipe?

http://winemaking.jackkeller.net/reques13.asp
        Converting from 6 US gal to 1 UK gal, and using fresh bananas instead of banana chips, and using frozen elderberries instead of dried, I have this:

440ml Red Grape Concentrate
        2lb 6oz sugar (added in stages)
        1 gal water
        4lb 8oz elderberries
        13oz fresh sliced banana
        3tsp citric/tartaric acid
        1tsp Tronozymol
        1 B1 tablet
        K1V-1116 yeast

I would have thought 2 or 3 tsp Pectolase would be a good idea too.

Notice I have made things unnecessarily complicated by using metric and imperial measurements.

I have worked on 1 measure dried ingredient = 4 of fresh, which seems to be the rule of thumb on other threads. However, there seems to be a hell of a lot of solids for a 1 gallon batch.

Comments?
        Pete the Instructor

It looks like Phil Donahue throwing up into a tuba

Comment

You have the makings of a good dessert wine here Pete, oops it's supposed to be port, me not reading the quote, sounds fine, are you going to fortify with brandy ? I would also reccomend some oak.
          Discount Home Brew Supplies
          Chairman of 5 Towns Wine & Beer Makers Circle!
          Convenor of Judges YFAWB Show Committee
          National Wine Judge
          N.G.W.B.J Member

Comment

Lightning fast reply there! Are you stalking me?

Yes, sorry, around 12 floz Brandy.

Oak - I can do that - I have some Brupaks chips and some cubes from Rich.
            Pete the Instructor

It looks like Phil Donahue throwing up into a tuba

Comment

Working...
            X