• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Oh ya want pics huh?

'04 Scuppernong, coarse filtered...
    Attached Files
    REBEL MODERATOR

...lay down the boogie and play that funky music 'til ya die...'til ya die !"

another

'04 Muscadine batch 2 after coarse filtering...
    Attached Files
    REBEL MODERATOR

Comment

Originally posted by Hippie
      '04 Scuppernong, coarse filtered...
      Hippy, looks like something out of star wars

Comment

Hippie, I want to buy a filter machine at what stage should I filter? After racking a few times, or will the filter eliminate some of the racking, or just before im ready to bottle.

Great picture!! Kodiak

Comment

Kodiak;

Filtering is done between a week before bottling and bottling. The wine must be clear before filtering otherwise you will plug up the filter pads.

Your wine will seem to shine with an inner light after filtering.

Pat

Comment

awesome hippie.

Comment

Mini-Jet

Ditto what Pat said.

Believe it or not, even with the #1 coarse pads, the wine should look like it does not need filtering and does not contain lees or sediment at filtering.

Thanks.

REBEL MODERATOR

Comment

Chateau Harris Sweet White Blend

A blend of '05 Niagara, '04 Gewurtztraminer, and '02 Pinot Grigio...
                Attached Files
                REBEL MODERATOR

Comment

Harris Winery '05 Niagara Late Harvest Vidal

If I didn't have half a garage full of wine bottles to use, I would use beer bottles with crown caps exclusively. They are so much easier. I used them alot more in the past before I had such a huge stockpile of wine bottles.

Attached Files
                  REBEL MODERATOR

Comment

I love the labels,Hippie! I also like the idea of using the beer bottles for wine.It's just the right amount-a couple (or so) nice glasses of wine.
                    I saved some (hope it's OK to say name) Smirnoff Twisted bottles just for this purpose.I thought the shape of the bottle was really cool. It has that distinctive "twist" on the lower part of the bottle.
                    I love this hobby- so many good ideas from winemaking veterans that know great tips!
                    ms.spain
                    lovin' this hobby!

Comment

recapping bottles

Thanks Ms. Spain! Be careful recapping the screwtop bottles. The glass is alot thinner than the crown cap bottles. I save all my Hieneken and St. Pauli Girl bottles. My favorite beers, only because I can't get better European beers here. I got spoiled in Germany during my USAF years.

REBEL MODERATOR

Comment

As long as there's no bubbles in the product there shouldn't be any problem with using screw cap bottles for wines. We never use screw caps for anything that's going to be aged a long time, but other wise they work really well.
                        Life's more fun with a Polish Wine Princess!
                        Half owner of Italian Floor Corker

Comment

Right you are...

Originally posted by Prairie Wine
                          As long as there's no bubbles in the product there shouldn't be any problem with using screw cap bottles for wines. We never use screw caps for anything that's going to be aged a long time, but other wise they work really well.
                          However, I was speaking of the weak glass on the screwtop beer bottles and the danger of trying to recap them.

REBEL MODERATOR

Comment

Hippie...so good to see someone else using beer bottles for wine. Thanks to a near by neighbour I have 3 wine kits (3x 23litres) in hieneken bottles. The hieneken bottles are a nice size...as ms spain stated.

JC

Comment

Confiscated!

Mrs. Harris drank a bottle of the Sweet White Blend last night. Today she put a 6-pack in the bottom of the fridge and the other 24 bottles in her closet!

Reckon I should take that as a compliment and rejoice, or cry that she has claimed it all?

REBEL MODERATOR

Comment

Working...
                              X