Heron Bay Micro Kits

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Heron Bay Micro Kits

Has anyone tried the Heron Bay micro kits ??

I was checking out the floor corker link that Bob added in another thread...
    And came across THIS

It really does seem like a good deal, if the wine is good...

As always, all comments welcome

Carole
    Insecure people try to make you feel smaller.

Confident people love to see you walk taller

They are good kits I believe. BUT, these ones are on offer as they went out of date ealier in the year. (april for the Gurty, which i was interested in.)

Comment

I might just take a chance with one, bin the yeast and use a fresh Lalvin yeast.
      National Wine Judge NGWBJ

Secretary of 5 Towns Wine and Beer Society

My friends would think I was a nut, turning water into wine....... Lyrics from Solsbury hill by Peter Gabriel

Member of THE newest wine circle in Yorkshire!!

Comment

Originally posted by Rich View Post
        They are good kits I believe. BUT, these ones are on offer as they went out of date ealier in the year. (april for the Gurty, which i was interested in.)
        Originally posted by Richard_S View Post
        I might just take a chance with one, bin the yeast and use a fresh Lalvin yeast.
        Hmmmmmm........

Well to be honest... I was more curious at the sale price than the possible out of date factor....
        But could they sell them at the same price, if they are out of date ??
        I am not so sure... Maybe they are soon to expire

I have taken my chances

I ended up ordering the Pinot Noir, and the Chardonnay....

I will see what the date is.... and if not soooo good.... will be right back on here for advice
        And if its ok, will see what it turns out like

Will let you all know
        Carole

Comment

Don't tell any one I told you this but if the dates are close enough you will be ok just get new additive packs or substitute your own additions feed the yeast a bit with nutrient get the fermentation to happen quick you should be good to go.
          http://www.winensuds.com/ Gotta love this hobby

Comment

Originally posted by spritzer View Post
            Hmmmmmm........

I am not so sure... Maybe they are soon to expire

I rang them and spoke to the lady there. a few were april 2008 expire, and she even had some that expired in 2007

@Robert, that's good to hear that they should be ok.

Comment

UPDATE: Not many of these left at the shop. I ordered a Cab Sav and a Gurty. The nice gent assured me they'll be fine and is even going to throw in a couple of new packets of yeast.

Rich

Comment

The 2007 kits you will need to watch for oxidation. This will depend on how they were stored. The 2007 kits definetly resupply all the additives and yeasts most kit wines come with EC-1118 to guarantee a complete ferment. I would warm these up to room temp quickly and get them on without delay. I did a Sauvignon Blanc that was expired over a year it was accidentally sent with one of my shipments. Any way I thought what the heck nothing to loose so I put it on and It turned out just fine.
                http://www.winensuds.com/ Gotta love this hobby

Comment

Originally posted by Rich View Post
                  UPDATE: Not many of these left at the shop. I ordered a Cab Sav and a Gurty. The nice gent assured me they'll be fine and is even going to throw in a couple of new packets of yeast.

Rich
                  I spoke to them today also...
                  He said that they are just about on their expire date... and he is also throwing in a couple of packets of yeast for me too.
                  Hopefully they will get here tomorrow

Comment

Great result guys!
                    National Wine Judge NGWBJ

Secretary of 5 Towns Wine and Beer Society

My friends would think I was a nut, turning water into wine....... Lyrics from Solsbury hill by Peter Gabriel

Member of THE newest wine circle in Yorkshire!!

Comment

Waiting for a call back from them. Very tempting at that price.

What yeast were they were going to send you? What would you use, given the choice? RC212? Gervin 2?
                      Pete the Instructor

It looks like Phil Donahue throwing up into a tuba

Comment

Mine have arrived, cab sav and a gurty, the yeast inside is in date. The cab sav has ec1118 yeast in date till feb 09 the kit bbd is april 08, the gurty has 71b1122 in date till march 09, the kit bbd is april 08.

I now need to sort out some fermenters to get them going in today!

They come in a small box, with an a4 page of printed instructions. All the other additives are in there. The cab sav has some oak dust and some tannin powder. I think if I'd paid full price for 1 of these are feel a little seen off. BUT, the proof will be in the tasting.

As the yeast is in date, I'll be using what came with the kit after making it up into a small starter, the bloke did send me a pack of Ritchies Burgandy yeast, and a Gervin yeast. They'll come in handy for something else..

Comment

Right. I have just had a call from Richard at Wineworks.

Apparently they come from Canada with a 1 year Best Before date, which in his opinion should be 2 years. Therefore they should be fine. As Rich says, they are chucking in a couple of extra yeasts though.

I've ordered two

They haven't got many left - be quick!
                          Pete the Instructor

Comment

What did you get Pete?

My two are in their primary buckets already

Comment

Cabernet Sauv and the last Chardonnay. They're due to arrive Friday, and will be in primary very shortly after.
                              Pete the Instructor

Comment

Working...
                              X