First Sparkling Wine Experiment

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by goldseal View Post
    Would you always use new plastic stoppers when disgorging?
    No, provided they have no signs of damage i use them several times, I would however not use the wire cages more than twice, as they become fatigued and snap.

Am I right to presume today is disgorging day ? if so good luck, and remember two tips..
    Have everything ready within reach as speed is of an essence so you don't lose that lovely sparkle.
    Remember to chill your top up wine or it will volcano.
    Last edited by Duffbeer; 08-02-2009, 11:50 AM.
    Discount Home Brew Supplies
    Chairman of 5 Towns Wine & Beer Makers Circle!
    Convenor of Judges YFAWB Show Committee
    National Wine Judge
    N.G.W.B.J Member

Comment

And keep the camera handy, incase of explosions!!

Comment

Originally posted by Rich View Post
        And keep the camera handy, incase of explosions!!
        I think the camera might be a bit difficult to use when I'm wearing chainmail gauntlets and a crash helmet.

2 hours and counting .....
        Pete the Instructor

It looks like Phil Donahue throwing up into a tuba

Comment

Get Mrs Goldseal to take the pictures - she could have a laugh at the same time.
          Let's party

AKA Brunehilda - Last of the Valkaries

Comment

Yea c'mon Pete, get some pics posted, it's not every day you lose your sparkling wine cherry, and we need a good laugh too
            National Wine Judge
            N.G.W.B.J Member

Comment

Sorry chaps, no pics

Long story - using mother's freezer, forgot to take camera blah blah.

It got a bit fraught - I found that, even when I thought it was frozen, the wine could foam up and overflow. I had difficulty getting the neck to freeze without freezing the rest of the bottle. One bottle got a bit awkward - the wine decided to make a bid for .
              freedom, launching itself at the windows . I ended up with a couple of short fills.

NOTES FOR NEXT TIME:
              1. Use a brine solution to freeze the necks quickly and solidly.
              2. Use a big calibrated syringe to inject the top-up wine quickly and accurately before the wine has time to foam over the top.

BUT
              First time, and all that.

We had to open the really short filled bottle

I'm quite critical of my own wines, but I am VERY pleased with this. I initially thought it wasn't acidic enough, but it is still a decent drink once the initial fizziness has dies away and it has warmed up a bit. Ever tried drinking flat champagne?

So, in summary, I'll be doing more of this, but improving my technique. If I'd got it 100% right first time, it would be too easy, right? Wine No.1 made with K1V-1116 makes a decent sparkling wine - get on with it!
              Last edited by goldseal; 09-02-2009, 07:39 AM. Reason: Tired and emotional when I wrote this
              Pete the Instructor

Comment

Now I'm really disappointed. I would have so liked to see that wine making a bid for freedom.

I have a suggestion for a new forum rule - 'No dangerous procedures to be undertaken without a camera being present and used.'

How say everyone else?
                Let's party

Comment

I sincerely apologise to anyone to whom I might have caused distress by my actions

Last edited by goldseal; 09-02-2009, 07:46 AM.
                  Pete the Instructor

Comment

Well, after such a handsome and public apology I suppose we'll have to forgive you.

Just this once, mind.
                    Let's party

Comment

Pete, have you stored the bottles in a cold place ? ie garage or shed, bottle conditioning will still be taking place and the colder the wine the better it will absorb the co2, thus ensuring a nice fine bead when it sparkles.
                      National Wine Judge
                      N.G.W.B.J Member

Comment

Originally posted by Duffbeer View Post
                        Pete, have you stored the bottles in a cold place ? ie garage or shed, bottle conditioning will still be taking place and the colder the wine the better it will absorb the co2, thus ensuring a nice fine bead when it sparkles.
                        Yep - they were in a garage for a month beforehand, and they're back there now.
                        Pete the Instructor

Comment

That batch was made with K1V-1116, mainly because I was using the other half of the packet for something else.

DO you reckon EC-1118 would be a better bet? This time the sediment took a while to compact and the wine was cloudy for a long time. I'd hope that EC-1118 would drop out quicker.

Honesty time - that was Rich's suggestion
                          Pete the Instructor

Comment

ec1118 is a champagne yeast, which I believe makes it granular in some sort of way, which makes it not stick to the bottle and helps it roll down for removal. I'm sure that's what I read in my 'how to make sparkly wine' book. I'll find it next time I'm home and you can borrow it!

Rich

Comment

Yup, EC1118 is my prefered choice, it compacts well and doesn't shift.
                              National Wine Judge
                              N.G.W.B.J Member

Comment

Originally posted by Duffbeer View Post
                                So, unless you have a cellar, the best time to make your sparkly stuff is in the winter. I'd better get another batch on quick

Using plastic stoppers, does it matter whether the bottles are stored vertically or horizontally?
                                Pete the Instructor

Comment

Working...
                                X